A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mario Bros Birthday Cake  (Read 6331 times)
Tags for this thread: nintendo , super_mario , fondant , cake , cake_decorating , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ezri_B
« on: January 07, 2009 10:36:03 AM »

Here is my son's 8th Birthday cake. He was quite excited about it. I made a Funfetti style vanilla cake (per his request,) a yummy butter cream frosting and then it's decorated with marshmallow fondant. It took about 2 1/2 hours to decorate while talking on the phone. I baked the cake in a pyrex bowl to get that shape. I can't think of anything else to tell you about it, so if you have questions; ask away. =)

(sorry about his goofy expression, he really wanted to play not take a silly picture.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

creatively_clumsy
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009 10:38:13 AM »

This is great!  It looks fab...I want to make one now!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mego
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009 11:27:36 AM »

Very cool!!  I wish I was that creative with cake decorating!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing, cooking, traveling, and everything blog:
http://www.whatmegmakes.com

My stores:
http://megwest.etsy.com
http://mwest.mymarkstore.com
cinnamon teal
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009 12:20:17 PM »

That's awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009 11:38:18 PM »

This rocks!! Your son is so lucky!  Was it hard removing the cake from a Pyrex bowl?  I never thought to try that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ezri_B
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009 06:27:39 AM »

Thanks.
No it isn't hard to remove it from the pyrex bowl, I sprayed it like I would a pan. I have done this a few times and have never had a problem. I have learned that a plastic knife (like the disposable kind, cheaper the better) work quite well in loosening cakes from pans. They sort of bend when there is a curve. I find it really helpful with my bundt pans. But I think that would work well if you did have any problems removing it from the bowl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teachingjonah
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009 02:55:49 PM »

My son would adore that cake.  I must learn how to work with fondant. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafter by night
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009 11:56:29 AM »

This is awesome.  How did you get the colors so vibrant?  I've done some decorating with MM fondant and every time I add enough gel paste food coloring to get a bright color it ends up making the fondant sticky again so I have to add more powdered sugar which dulls the color...an endless cycle of adding coloring and powdered sugar until I decide that baby blue is just as good as bright blue for my fondant ribbons.  Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezri_B
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009 12:10:58 PM »

Thank you. Honestly most of the food coloring I used was normal liquid stuff. I guess I just had really good luck. I used the neon liquid from the grocery store for the blue. It did make it a bit more sticky. I put it back in the refrigerator for a little bit. Then when I took it out it was fine. The red I had a hard time with and found it would stay sticky, then add more powdered sugar and it was lighter etc... so it's sort of dark pink more than red. Though the colors are a little washed out in the picture. They were slightly more vibrant in real life. I used paste food coloring for the brown.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafter by night
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009 08:28:24 AM »

That's totally helpful.  I hadn't thought about putting it in the fridge before working with it again.  Great idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 10 Banned Books
Author Brittany Geragotelis on Life’s a Witch
Brittany Geragotelis on What the Spell
Stanley Tucci Shares Family Recipes in His New Cookbook
R.L. Stine Reveals His New Adult Novel Red Rain
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...