A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Charles Bronson meets Andy Warhol  (Read 1101 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftymary
« on: January 14, 2009 08:46:16 PM »

This is my first post (yay) and of course I chose a project that is very atypical of the stuff I normally do.  Usually I'm more into sewing and beading, but I'm really proud of this project so I thought I would share. 

So, both my boyfriend and his brother are in love with Charles Bronson.  He can do no wrong in their eyes and because of this I have been forced to watch Death Wish I, II, III, IV, and V on multiple occasions along with every other movie he's ever been in.  And because my boyfriend's brother is the kind of guy who has everything I thought I would make him some original Bronson artwork for his Christmas present.  Then I saw the threads on here about stenciling, and with the inspiration of seethesky's tons of stenciling tutorials and Andy Warhol, I decided to do a multi-image pop Bronson. 

This is the original photo, and I used MS Word to convert it to a stencil image. 

After tweaking with some of the image's shading, I made two stencils out of transparency sheets, one for each of the two foreground layers.  And about 3 hours later I finally finished cutting them out.  Then I painted the background colors on the canvas and then each layer of the stencil.  I'm a little bummed about the Bronson in the lower left because I wanted the reddish pink to be lighter and more vibrant, but it dried kind of dark (I told you painting is not my medium).  Here is the final product with a flash.  It's 16"x20".

And without the flash for a better idea of how dark the bottom left one turned out. 

The green Bronson is my favorite:

Anyway, he really liked it and it's already hanging on his wall.  Now I'm thinking of all the other images I can stencil.  It's addictive.  Thanks for looking. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009 09:13:06 PM »

I think this was an awesome idea! What a great personalized gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SillySlippers
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009 11:30:36 PM »

awesomeness. just the perfect guy present
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like I Know What I'm Doing
trinashere
nerd and a half.

(witty comment goes here)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009 05:14:08 AM »

Love Bronson! I actually live about five miles away from the tiny western Pennsylvania town he grew up in. Great work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The art of losing isn't hard to master; so many things seem filled with the intent to be lost that their loss is no disaster. ~ Elizabeth Bishop
RENTHead_351
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009 03:55:18 AM »

This is awesome. I envy your patience to cut out that stencil and make the paint near perfect. I've tried a Warhol-esque painting and it didn't turn out near as good as this. Amazing job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Life Changing Tips to Keep Hydrated
The Five Makeup Brushes You Need
How To Get Big, Thick Lashes Without Using Falsies
Statement Haircuts for Summer
Essential Summer Beauty Tips To Keep Your Makeup Looking Fresh This Season
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...