A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
821 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PMC Peas in a Pod here too. :)  (Read 1190 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Totalele
Official lurker

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2009 12:49:02 PM »

I can't believe I never posted this... Huh In fact, I can't believe I haven't posted in a while. Unforgivable. *hangs head in shame*  I must give a shout out for the other "peas in a pod" (which, btw, is *beautiful*) thread to inspire me to post again. Smiley

My first complete PMC piece! I made for a dear friend (who has 2 kids) in a "hand-made" swap (among other things). It's not perfect (or anywhere near, even.) and it's not as smooth as I liked. But it was a great lesson in how the clay behaves, etc...

I didn't have any sulfur or black max, so I made it all very "bold" to give enough light/shadow effect, kwim?  I also didn't have many jewelry supplies (in SS), except for some jump rings and crimp beads, so I improvised a design that would work with it. But I told my friend that she could just slip the (un-crimped) crimp bead and use the pendant elsewhere.  Wink

I *loved* working with PMC (not the texture per se, but the "magic" effect of seeing a clay piece in full silver. What can I say... I'm love this kind of thing.. Cheesy), and I specially loved my little hot-pot! So easy to use!

Thanks for looking! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessersmisadventures

we are the knights that say nee!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009 01:00:38 PM »

That's really cute!  Give peas a chance Wink  BTW, what size is it?  I really want to do some PMC one of these days, but I'm not sure whether a hot pot be the best "heating" choice for me . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

www.Palmyria.etsy.com
Totalele
Official lurker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009 01:06:50 PM »

That's really cute!  Give peas a chance Wink  BTW, what size is it?  I really want to do some PMC one of these days, but I'm not sure whether a hot pot be the best "heating" choice for me . . .

Jesser ~ First of all, thanks for the nice words. Smiley

This pendant is about 1 1/2" (give or take) and quite solid (in fact, the final piece was fairly heavy(!), which surprised me)...  Because I plan to only "play" with pendants (I'm working on my second one for another friend), the hot pot is fine for me for a while, and I love that is SO easy to use. But if things eventually progress, I'll eventually get a (small) kiln in the future.

I don't think I'll work with a torch, though. The ADD in me would get bored so quickly, I would probably never work on another piece... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009 01:29:03 PM »

It's beautiful!
I think it IS perfect...........  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009 01:52:29 PM »

Wow and gorgeous! I need to get some of that stuff!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
poe poe
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009 02:35:47 PM »

I love it! I would've never guessed it was clay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.
-Aldo Leoplod-
Totalele
Official lurker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009 05:50:39 PM »

I love it! I would've never guessed it was clay.

Poe Poe, itt's PMC. Precious Metal Clay. It's like clay when you work with it, but after it burns, turns into pure silver. Reaaaally cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

poe poe
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009 06:58:23 PM »

Poe Poe, itt's PMC. Precious Metal Clay. It's like clay when you work with it, but after it burns, turns into pure silver. Reaaaally cool!

It turns into a metal, or just a silver color? Do you cook it in the oven? Is it like fimo clay? Can you buy it at your local craft store? Sorry for all the questions. I thought you had just painted it. I thought it was cool before, now I'm fasinated! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.
-Aldo Leoplod-
pixidance
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009 10:21:50 AM »

Very pretty Smiley  Thanks for the shout out!

I really like how you incorporated the bail into the piece through the loop at the top.  It gives the whole thing a very organic feel.  This turned out beautifully.  You must have done a LOT of sanding work!

I don't think I'll work with a torch, though. The ADD in me would get bored so quickly, I would probably never work on another piece... Cheesy

Honestly, you don't have to hold the torch long, it only takes a couple minutes to get the piece up to that glowing color and then you just hold it there for a few more minutes.  I haven't had to hold the torch to it for more than 5-7 minutes

It turns into a metal, or just a silver color? Do you cook it in the oven? Is it like fimo clay? Can you buy it at your local craft store? Sorry for all the questions. I thought you had just painted it. I thought it was cool before, now I'm fasinated! 

When you fire the piece, the binder burns off and you're left with ACTUAL fine silver!  It's really quite amazing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Totalele
Official lurker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009 03:52:07 PM »

Very pretty Smiley  Thanks for the shout out!

I really like how you incorporated the bail into the piece through the loop at the top.  It gives the whole thing a very organic feel.  This turned out beautifully.  You must have done a LOT of sanding work!

First of all, thank you for the nice words...  Grin  I was going for the organic feel, so I'm glad it came through...  Smiley

As for sanding, I didn't have to do much on this one. I did add a few thin layers of "watery" clay, although it was clearly not enough *shakes head*.  But on the one I'm finishing now ( I designed and made specifically for another friend), I'm sanding the crap out of it. That design is totally kicking my butt. Apparently, when designing, I didn't think the actual process through... Tongue

Thanks again, guys! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Make Seared Lobster Tails with Thai Chili Coleslaw
How to Plate Salmon and Chicken Satay
How to Grill Salmon and Chicken Satay
How to Break Down Salmon and Chicken Satay
Salmon and Chicken Satay Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...