A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ***FIRST THREAD*** WALMART DRESS  (Read 7867 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missgabbielynn

Dance like no one is watching!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2009 08:24:44 PM »

Ok, my idea for you is coffee filters and cupcake papers.  I love he walmart bag dress!  WOW

missgabbielynn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mygrandmasaysimkool
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2009 09:08:51 PM »

Someone on here made a dress made out of condoms. I thought it looked pretty neat. What about Duct tape? I've seen prom dresses made out of it and you can get it in all kinds of colours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dogwoodbonsai
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009 11:15:15 PM »

I second the net bags fruit and onions come in.  imagine the "fishnet" possibilities.

Junk mail, newspaper inserts, weekly sales ads... pick out the most colorful and glossy. You can sew paper (someone mentioned it, i think)  brush some craft glue along the seams for strength... you could blend the glue out from the seams also giving a bit of sculptural effect. That would work well on the bodice too.

Also CD's, take the covers of the CD containers and make a bra, or crazy shoulders, or weird cod piece or a hat.

If you know anyone that works as a bartender or at store...cases of wine and beer have thin cardboard inserts in them to separate the bottles.  A stack of those cut up connected together via sewing, duct tape, glue and whatever else you can think of would make a wonderful ensemble.  Paint it if you want some color

Handy wipes (those thin dish rags) come in a lovely array of housewife shades and have the advantage of being soft and comfortable.

Also to get ideas and supplies ask your friends, "Hey, at your place of employment, what gets thrown out and wasted in great quantities???"  If they mention something wonderful, make them save it for you.  (Every job I've ever had, I take account of all that is extra and wasted and find a way to use it... I sneak it out in my pants if I have to!!)

Also, please post more projects....I'd love to see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweet_t_sb
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009 11:52:02 PM »

You are fabulous!!!!  I made a shopping bag dress once, but didn't carry it off quite like you do!  WORK IT!!!!!!!!!!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PetitMer
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009 06:46:08 AM »

Here's a pretty little thing made with junk mail, a potential process perhaps?

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2009/01/fan_mail_dress.html

I bet bigger pieces would move nicely and be less daunting...

Don't forget to keep us posted on your digs bb!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissColee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Cakewrecks made me famous! http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/02/this-is-how-you-show-hungry-whos-boss.html

why is the rum always gone?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009 08:24:12 AM »

I had a dream that I was helping you make a ritz cracker box corset. I either need to stop reading craftster before I go to bed or not eat sloppy joes before I fall asleep. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009 08:46:03 AM »

How about a toilet paper dress? Check out this site:
http://www.stylelist.com/blog/2008/10/11/bt-couture-collection-toilet-paper-dresses-that-benefit-breast/
AMAZING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kayhook
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009 10:19:20 AM »

Darling you are so fabulous.

I vote for any kind of snack wrappers, chips bags, candy foil etc.  Or wrapping paper.  Or those plastic ring things that connect packs of sodas.  Aluminum foil with colorful saran wrap over it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is too short to refrain from eating jam out of the jar.
http://last.fm/user/heartofaharmony
nightal1031
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2009 10:27:45 AM »

If you do a Ritz Cracker box dress, you HAVE to take some leftover ritz crackers, preserve them with some sort of acrylic spray or poly, and then put them on the dress. it would be amazing, dangling off like coins or something.

some ideas? mylar birthday balloons (for the shiny silver and the pretty colors), receipts (they keep making them longer and longer, they'd make some sort of excellent fringe/flapper style skirt), paper money (not reusable but definitely fun!), packing peanuts (string them together like the popcorn and cranberry stuff people used to put on christmas trees)....

the possibilities? endless.

P.s. i have to agree, if my legs looked like yours did in a dress, i think i'd give up on wearing pants.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Procrastinators unite!!!
...tomorrow
SNEAKSNEAK
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009 11:45:31 AM »

Way cool dress...

What about:
Soda cans
toilet paper tubes or paper towel tubes
Soda can tabs?  I've seen some post where people have made other things...wow, take a lot of soda tabs.
plastic from bottles.  Could be cut to specific shape.
Old towels
dried flowers.
carpet squares? Like the kind stores have for examples of carpet.  The stores sometimes will give them to teachers so kids can sit on the floor.  I had a teacher once that was obsessed with carpet squares...can you imagine the jokes.

Just a couple of ideas that popped into my head.

I GET IT NOW BUT THAT NEARLY PUT ME OVER THE EDGE!!!

IM THINKING  STYROFOAM,,,LIKE CUPS AND PLATES BUT ITS SO WEAK TO WEAR & PERFORM IN

ok, you'll have to explain why 'old towels' is amusing.  I am a mid-west stay at home mom and I don't get to come out and play very much...give me a clue.  And you can all laugh at me that's ok...  I have an open mind about pretty much everything and that is what counts right???  Oh and if it was somehow offensive I certainly didn't mean that.

in my mind i was old paper towels, liek used and that would be disgusting :x  i am from the midwest 2!!

i wasnt offended or anything it was just the first place my mind went becuase i was thinking of things that are ment to be thrown away, and i assume you were talking about like dish rags and beachtowels
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Northern Lights: Is This the Greatest Bar in the World?
An Exercise in Wallpaper: Why the Eye Likes Patterns
Chandelier Casts Tree Shadows on Wall
Hudson Yards Exhibition Space Design
How to Decorate Outdoor Rooms
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...