for the '09 clothing make-along i made a fascinator. you can find the thread here. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=282476.msg3250108#msg3250108
i'm going to include a kind of tutorial
i'm a total virgin at this being creative stuff so be kind in your feedback please!
soo first up you need:
a headband to attach everything to
glue (you probably SHOULD use a hot glue gun for better quality)
feathers to decorate
tape for temporary hold
your piece of tulle or veiling
not pictured: a model to put the headband on, needle and thread the colour of your materials, newspaper to protect the table, beads or glitter to decorate.
1. take a section of your crinoline and make a shape out of it, this could be a flower, a bow, something abstract, anything you can think of. i made a rose. use some glue to hold it together.
2. put this aside and cut the tulle to a length for your veil. arrange the veil on the headband with the help of your model and hold it in place with a few stitches. remove from model's head (IMPORTANT) and glue veil down. you don't want to glue the model's hair down!
3. take the leftover veiling and arrange it into something, well, fascinating and hold it together with a few stitches. place on your headband and tweak until you like the look of it, then stitch and glue down.
4. attach your crinoline with a few stitches and, you guessed it! glue down.
5. start playing with feather arrangments til you find one you like. you can cut feathers into pieces, glue them down to your crinoline or whatever. if the feathers stand up and out of your fascinator, you will have a 'sassy' look, for a classier look, try to let the feathers curve to the shape of your head. i glued a few larger feathers at the back, and cut up some smaller, darker feathers to arrange in between. i also glue some pieces of the fluffy part of the base of the feathers around my rose.
6. optional. i added some lilac coloured beads to the centre of my rose to make things more interesting and covered them with glue.
7. congratulations, once your glue dries you have made yourself a fascinator!
with no veil: