A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How can I showcase this amazing fabric ???  (Read 1713 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dollbecky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

ADHD crafter, jack of all trades..master of none

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 13, 2009 10:18:57 PM »

I have the most stunning fabric of all time... 2yards of glory
  http://www.freespiritfabric.com/core-pages/gallery.php?gal_id=162&sw_id=1708
I am smitten
However the only thing I can imagine creating out of this is a skirt  an long A-line but I have this fear that my idea for a basic A-line is due to cowardice  and not going to do the fabric justice...
Ideas? suggestions?
Oh and my body type is short and round Thats  me in the gothic patchwork skirt post made by imwoman13 in the completed projects curvaceous section
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009 05:47:10 AM »

I would definitely make a skirt out of it, I think it is perfectly suited to it.  You could go for an a-line skirt, or a circle skirt (probably a partial circle skirt rather than a full one...). 

I say pick a style (or pattern) for a skirt that you know you will love to go with such awesome fabric (oh and I say with any leftovers make a purse or wallet or something, so none of this wonderful fabric goes to waste. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
contrariwise
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009 08:10:00 AM »

I like your idea for an a-line skirt. When you have a bold fabric that you want to show off, simple lines are definitely best. Just make sure that your cutting layout plays up the fabric's symmetries.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Devierue
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009 02:04:04 AM »

I am very much a newbie at sewing, but I have a slight obsession with fabrics. Especially fabrics like that one(*rawr*). When I see a particularly awesome fabric, I'll buy it and then stash it away - too afraid to screw it up, but at least I know that no one else is wasting it, either. *grins*

So, I play the odds. I figure that if several projects are made, at least one has to turn out. You said that you have two yards - a LOT can be done with that, at least, the way I see it. So here's what I would do:

I would find a black fabric to match, and make an A-line skirt with decent panels of the pattern on each hip-side. Some would opt for a single panel in the front of the skirt, but I personally feel that it makes me look wider than I already am *sigh* So, kinda like this, but floorlength: http://flickr.com/photos/55783445@N00/sets/72157594207864448 (oh, and props to whomever owns that flickr...susanstars, methinks...)...or even the length it is! Up to you. You get to show off how incredibly awesome the fabric is, but using significantly less than a full skirt of it would require. Even though that fabric rocks, it's a bit busy for me (I rock basic black like nobodies business), so a whole skirt of it would probably sit in my closet forever.

That, and I don't wear skirts, but I'd have to make an exception for that loveliness. Anyway. MOVING ON...

I would take bits of it and make it the strap lining OR body of a tank-top. I can't decide which...but it depends on how much fabric you want to use. Then, you can wear the skirt and tank together (and they'll match!) or wear the shirt with a pair of jeans...hmm.

Not trying to move in on anyone's idea, but I like the idea of using remainder pieces for a bag/wallet. My first thought was seeing that lining the inside of a black bag (thinking corduroy...maybe not, but leather intimidates me O.O) and then having a little wallet inside made out of your lovely fabric. That way it stays functional, is shown off frequently (even if they're not looking inside your bag like creeps, people will see you pull out the wallet), and outlasts clothing (generally).

Wow, I ramble.

I think it's a great fabric and the ideas are endless...in the end, do what makes you happy! Good luck (and I am anxiously awaiting results!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
academama
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009 03:41:54 PM »

Whatever you make, save a piece and do a matching headband or head scarf! That's awesome fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009 09:20:09 PM »

I think you'd look really hot in a short a-line skirt in that fabric (like just above the knees kind of short), going by your picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rossie
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009 01:15:42 AM »

Gorgeous!  I think that print would look amazing as a jacket.  For ideas, I love this short jacket: http://www.plussizefix.com/cuteshortjacket.aspx and they have some really nice blazer styles as well. 

You could wear it over jeans or a snappy dress... plus, imagine how much fun you could have matching up a lining!   Not to mention the accessorizing... drool.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009 10:36:06 AM »

I think an A-line skirt would be nice.  Another option would be a shift dress (such as McCall 5875 or Mccall 5799) or tunic top - something without too many seams or extra darts, since you'll probably want the design on the fabric to not be broken up too much. 

Either way, since it looks like a large scale print, you'll probably want to be really careful with placement of the print - as contrariwise already mentioned.  Not that it has to be symmetrical, necessarily, but if it's asymmetrical..it should look like it's meant to be that way, you know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
soorawn
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009 02:30:53 PM »

When I saw the fabric I envisioned a dress.  One with the neckline like in the one on the left here: http://www.burdafashion.com/images/repos/1/000/001/005/000001005221
and positioning the insect right in the middle of the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009 07:49:22 AM »

When I saw the fabric I envisioned a dress.  One with the neckline like in the one on the left here: http://www.burdafashion.com/images/repos/1/000/001/005/000001005221
and positioning the insect right in the middle of the top.

soorawn, I love that dress. Thanks for the link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tie Dye Patterns
How to Dip Dye a Shirt
How to Do a History Collage
How to Create a Collage
How to Create a Family Collage
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...