A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrappy Vests (a TON of pics)  (Read 4328 times)
Tags for this thread: gibbous , vest  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

phoquess
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009 01:43:47 PM »

What a clever idea! That looks great! I do agree that the second one looks a bit better faded, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cloverfire
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009 07:16:27 PM »

This is such a great idea, I especially love that you sewed objects into it too. Might be fun to make a bunch of small pockets...hmm

*runs off to find some scraps*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LetterGhost
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009 02:35:35 AM »

those are absolutely gorgeous, I can't stop staring at the pictures... so much detail!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
piaochong
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009 04:17:16 AM »

this is true awesome right there! great job! i agree that this does rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

atlascoughed

Sometimes I don't make anything but a mess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009 05:30:28 AM »

I love 'em! I made a coat with partial scrap covering, and it was sooo fun and addictive. Are you a fan of gibbous fashions? (Look 'em up if you haven't seen them-- I think you'll dig it.) One question, though-- did you use a pattern for the vest? I've been wanting to make myself a vest or two, but can't find a pattern that I know I like. The shape of yours is fantastic.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anything I can reach I do myself.

Una Luna on Etsy. Home of the Alphacreatures!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5443049

Diary of the Long Winded as AtlasCoughed on LJ: http://atlascoughed.livejournal.com/
binchen

knitting is addicting.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009 06:37:33 AM »

Thats a great way of using scraps. Brilliant.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Addie Marie
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009 09:13:08 AM »

Wow, thank you all so much for the wonderful comments!! Smiley

I love 'em! I made a coat with partial scrap covering, and it was sooo fun and addictive. Are you a fan of gibbous fashions? (Look 'em up if you haven't seen them-- I think you'll dig it.) One question, though-- did you use a pattern for the vest? I've been wanting to make myself a vest or two, but can't find a pattern that I know I like. The shape of yours is fantastic.

Thanks! And you're right, it's very addictive! I found your post with the coat, and it's gorgeous!! I've been thinking if I make another vest it'll be with fewer scraps, just to see how that turns it out. I am a big fan of Gibbous! Their clothing is absolutely phenomenal.

I sort of made the pattern up for the first vest, and it involved some last-minute shaping and darts once I'd already sewn on most of the scraps. For the second one I simply cut up an old tanktop for the base, and had to alter that quite a bit, too. The fabric changes a lot once it has all the scraps sewn on, and I ended up being really surprised sometimes at how the fit would turn out. Again, more darts for correction. Tongue I could possibly do a tutorial on the vest itself if someone would like it, but it might take a week or so.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009 09:31:26 AM by Addie Marie - Reason: accidentally hit post when I wasn't done typing! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009 10:25:19 AM »

I love these!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nystacular
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009 12:19:57 PM »

those look amazing with just the basic long sleeved shirt. Maybe you could change the look of the last vest by dying it with tea? I dunno if that works on making things fade though. Maybe you could also just leave it out in direct sun for a while (i'm sure that'll fade it, I just don't know to the extent)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atlascoughed

Sometimes I don't make anything but a mess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009 12:41:28 PM »

The fabric changes a lot once it has all the scraps sewn on, and I ended up being really surprised sometimes at how the fit would turn out. Again, more darts for correction.

Indeed! When I made my scrap-happy scoodie ("Merlin's Hooded Scraf"), I had to add tons more bits to compensate for how it shrinks the fabric. And thanks for the compliment on the coat! My only complaint with that is that since the coat is canvas, it's extremely stiff. Good for.. oh, something rugged, I'd imagine, but who wants to take a 5+ hour project out in the woods?

Re: aging them... Some ideas (I do some steampunk costuming, so I'm all about making things look old): dyeing with tea is good, but will only work on the light fabrics. You can also sand the fabric with sandpaper or even a brillo pad to weather it. Leaving it out in the sun would also probably work, maybe after spritzing it with lemon juice? A very mild bleach/water mix may also be interesting. I love faded patchwork, be it "authentic" or not.

Again, good job with the vests. They're all the more impressive for having been free-handed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anything I can reach I do myself.

Una Luna on Etsy. Home of the Alphacreatures!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5443049

Diary of the Long Winded as AtlasCoughed on LJ: http://atlascoughed.livejournal.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...