A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: another scratchboard!  (Read 535 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2009 05:22:58 PM »

I did this scratchboard tonight.  I plan on cleaning up the edges a bit and perhaps coloring it with inks, but I'm finished with it for right now.  It's my second attempt at this, and I really like the preciseness needed to use this type of medium.  I definitely need more practice, but I'm not complaining about that!

Here it is:

I referenced an image in the little booklet that came with a CD (Keane, Hopes and Fears).  I picked this picture because I liked the stark black and whiteness of it.  I used a TON of artistic license, as I am not the greatest at drawing (I'm more of a painter/sculptor).  I realize that I messed up on the placement of the hand, but there's no way to erase that so I'm okay with it  Roll Eyes

And, here's a shot without flash:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009 05:24:23 PM by bunsenhoneydew13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
polutechnos
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009 05:33:36 PM »

Scratchboard, eh? How exactly do you do it, because I came up with a technique without knowing about this a while back and I thought I was pure genius. Guess not Sad Here's what I did for reference: frogs and snake

I totally love this, though! Nice job. I totally hate it when I find out my ideas have already been thought of, darn it. heh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elensule
Yeah, I'm THAT girl...

The Zydrate comes in a little glass vial...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009 06:35:22 PM »

That looks really neat! I am not a sketch artist, but I really like the scratch board stuff. I think it looks AWESOME in black and white. Super cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I maked a wist! wists.com/Elensule

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=292681.0
The Repo! Swap!
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009 08:26:53 AM »

Scratchboard, eh? How exactly do you do it, because I came up with a technique without knowing about this a while back and I thought I was pure genius.

I totally love this, though! Nice job. I totally hate it when I find out my ideas have already been thought of, darn it. heh

I don't prepare the board myself, but rather buy it from a hobby or art supply store.  To my knowledge it's white clay underneath a layer of black india ink.  I use the brand Claybord Black, and this one is 5x7 inches.  You scratch off the india ink to reveal the white clay underneath.  As you scratch off more ink, you can get different values on the board.  (I still need to work on that).    I use a little tool that has a pointed, spade-shaped metal tip to it.  The tip is pretty sharp, but you can use the duller sides to sort of sand down the india ink.  It's kind of a more professional example of a more familiar concept.  When we were little, we'd color with random crayons onto a piece of newsprint and paint black tempera paint on top, then scratch the paint off with whatever we wanted: paperclips, butter knives, etc. to make little rainbow patterns in the paint.

How did you do your pieces?  They are really pretty!  Great job on coming up with a technique on your own...it's always a downer when you find that your ideas already exist, but they're never quite the same.  You should be proud.  You made some really nice artwork.

That looks really neat! I am not a sketch artist, but I really like the scratch board stuff. I think it looks AWESOME in black and white. Super cool!

Thank you!  I'm trying to figure out if I should color it or not, but I'll count yours as a vote for keeping it black and white.  Smiley  You should try scratchboard.  You can find really inexpensive ones, and it's really interesting to kind of think about shadows and values in a different way (as you already have a dark surface, and need to scratch to reveal the light surface underneath).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
polutechnos
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009 07:47:53 PM »

Aw, thanks! I first sketch out my image with a pencil, then go over the lines with a pointed tool (being cheap and crafty, usually a small flatblade screw driver). Then I scratch away shading as I go. Clean up odd pencil lines and shade with pencil, charcoal, or what have you.

I do mine on shale (a soft clay like rock) that I collect(ed). So, I guess it's pretty much the same thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Start Graffiti Project
How to Draw Graffiti Ideas
Creating Graffiti Art
How to Paint Reflections
Landscape Painting Techniques
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...