A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01110000 01100101  (Read 952 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Astolante
« on: January 13, 2009 03:35:23 PM »

...That's "binary pencil holder" for people who actually have a life!

I made this as a birthday present for a friend of mine who's an engineer. It's a pencil holder made from old 3 1/2" floppy disks. I used the two holes on the bottom edge, then drilled two more at the top and connected them together as five sides of a cube with cable ties and superglued the metal slide-y bits so they didn't bend off (seriously. You can make or mend anything with the right combination of cable ties, superglue and duct tape.) I'd already made a non-binary (and not as awesome) pencil holder for myself.

...But where's the binary?
This was a challenge. I converted my friend's name, William, to binary using an online binary encoder (http://www.theproblemsite.com/codes/binary.asp) and cross-stitched it in wool on some massive aida I had lying around. The black stitched are 0s and the white ones are 1s. That was pretty easy, once I'd planned out the chart on some squared paper. What was hard was dismantling the floppy disk without damaging the plastic casing. I ended up using a combination of brute force and really sharp scalpels to cut through the plastic rod bits that hold the disk together. I cut out the portion of the disk where the label normally goes (that was a challenge!), then interfaced the embroidery and sandwiched it between the two halves of the floppy, replacing the metal circle from the back side of it. The cable ties kepts the two halves of the disk together (helped by a generous amount of superglue, of course)/

A closeup of the binary:

And the whole thing! Helpfully modelled by my laptop.

I apologise for the poor photo quality...  :s   
Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DaMullet
Peelin' off the tissue, inch by inch, skinnin' off the muscles, too... harvesting the kidneys for the fall, saving up the livers in the fridge... no one ever thanks me when I'm done, how self-absorbed people can be!

It's a thankless job, but somebody's got to do it.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009 06:55:24 PM »

BRILLIANT!  As a math/CompSci major, I am duly impressed.  As a nerd, doubly so.  This fills me with awe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Diamond Buying Tips
Jewellery Making UK
How to Make a Charm Bracelet
Free Jewellery Making Book
How to Make Jewellery
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...