A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,687
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super Rad Dyed and Bleach Stenciled Converse (with kind of tutorial)  (Read 8083 times)
Tags for this thread: converse , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2009 01:02:32 PM »

I'm gonna give you the money shot first so that you'll be interested in soldiering through this lengthy post, heehee.

Ok, so I've been wanting to try my hand at dyeing a pair of my Converse for a long time.  But, every time the idea sprang up, I always thought of the same problem.  What about the rubber?  I thought that if I just tried to be careful and use the dye as "paint", thereby avoiding the rubber problem, it wouldn't saturate the fabric enough to give a good result.  But, if I tried an actual dye bath, the rubber would get stained with the dye and I didn't want that.  So, I was perusing the internets for a solution and I spied a kind of offhand suggestion on an instructable.  Someone in the comments suggested using some art masking liquid to cover up the rubber and then dye the shoes.  A little light bulb in my head went DINGGG!  As far as I could tell, no one had actually tried that yet, so I decided to be the first.  For your enjoyment, I took pictures along the way so that if this actually worked, I could post a tutorial.  You will probably notice that I was just making a lot of this up as I went along, but it worked, right? 

So, first things first.  You need a pair of shoes.  Preferably white or some other light color.  I happened to have 2 pairs of the exact same Converse in the exact same color so I picked the pair that looked most crappy and experimented with those.  These are the kind with no laces, but obviously if yours have laces, you should remove them prior to dyeing.

Here's the masking liquid. 

(Ew.  My shoes look really gross in that picture.)  My husband paints which is why we just had some laying around.  You'll notice that it's kind of pricey.  He says that it's basically just liquid latex.  We also had some of that leftover from Halloween.  My 5 yr old was a zombie and my husband did his zombie makeup with it-check him out.

Heh, oops I got sidetracked.  Anyway, it looks like this:

It's cheaper, but the masking liquid was already open so I used that.  Point being, liquid latex is an economical alternative if you don't already have masking liquid.

I used a paintbrush and brushed all over the white rubber parts with the masking liquid.  [Note: for this part, you should either use a cruddy brush that you don't mind ruining or plan on washing the brush immediately after finishing with the masking liquid.]  I just started at the top and brushed downward so that I wouldn't get any of it on the fabric. 

WARNING:  If you get this stuff on fabric, it will not come off.  Ever.  Just ask my dining room chair following the aforementioned Halloween.  Also, the masking liquid smells like a**.  Just so you know.  I laid out some freezer paper to catch any drips.  Anyway, just cover all the rubber and then let it sit and dry.  Really the only way to tell if it's dry is to poke it.  It still looks shiny when it's dry, so you have to touch it to see if it's gone from liquid to adhesive. 

Now, most dyes recommend using heat to do a dye bath.  My husband said that wasn't an option if I was going to use the masking liquid so I devised a new plan.  The particular dye I used, which was this:

said to dissolve it in 4 cups of warm water.  I decided to make it more concentrated and dissolve it in 2 cups of ultra hot water instead.  I then let the water come to room temperature.  This is a really crappy picture, but see how the dye is dark with a lighter foam on top? 

When that foam is all gone, it should be at room temp.  See? 

So, then I used another brush and painted my shoe uppers with the concentrated dye.  Once they were very well saturated, I poured the dye into a giant pot and added enough cold water to cover my shoes.  I then wedged my shoes in there upside down.:

The other problem with doing a dye bath with shoes is that the rubber makes them float.  So, I put a colander on top of them and put 10 lbs worth of weight plates in the colander.

Problem solved, heh!  If you don't have weight plates, just get creative.  So, yeah, I let them sit in there for a good long time.  About 6 hours or so, I think. 

Then I took them out, peeled off the latex, and rinsed them in cold water to get most of the excess dye off.  The latex peels off very easily but if you experience any difficult, just use an eraser to rub it off.  Here's how they look at that point:

Woohoo!!!  No staining on the rubber!  It actually worked!!  Awesome!!  I then tossed them in the washer (by themselves, of course) and washed them in cold water and then dried them in the dryer.  I forgot to take a picture of how they look after that, but they definitely lost some color in the washing process.  However, they were still very vibrant and bold.  Enter the bleach stencil.  I decided to go with whales.  I don't really know why.  It was between whales and cupcakes.  So, I used my preferred bleach stenciling method, like so:

Basically, I use a Clorox Bleach Gel Pen and squirt some out on a plate and just use it as if it were paint.  Then, using a paint brush, I "paint" just inside the lines of my stencil to try to get as little as possible on the freezer paper (to prevent any bleeding).  I know some people use liquid bleach in a spray bottle, but I've never been able to do that without it soaking through the freezer paper.  So, I came up with this method and it works like a charm for me.  Just use the method you're most comfortable with. 

Since this was a very small and simple stencil and I was doing it on a shoe, I didn't use freezer paper.  I cut it out of poster board.  And then I just went to town, bleaching whales on my newly dyed shoes.  They looked like they were missing a little something so I freehanded some asterisk/star thingies and some hearts.  Then I washed and dried them again and now they look like this:

YAY!!!!  I'm kind of in love with them.

So...comments, criticisms, suggestions?  All are welcome:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
spectrumsparksie
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009 01:23:04 PM »

Very cool.  and the best part?  Your "kind of tutorial".  yeah.  I don't think anyone could repeat what you have done with those sketchy instructions.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009 02:08:03 PM »

I like! And that is one HECK of a great tutorial! Conga rats!  Grin

I am going to have to try this at some point. I have a pair of white shoes I'm not crazy about; it never occurred to me to just dye them, duh!  Roll Eyes

(btw, your son looks AWESOME!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
spygirl13
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009 03:21:06 PM »

so cool. thanks for the great instructions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hamiltontankgirl
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009 04:17:32 PM »

Do you find when you wear them that the red dye comes off on your socks at all?

Great tut!! The shoes look awesomes!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make cool stuff and do cool things, too bad I'm not cool...
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009 07:44:52 PM »

Do you find when you wear them that the red dye comes off on your socks at all?

Great tut!! The shoes look awesomes!!  Grin

I actually just finished them this morning, but I put them on as soon as they were dry in order to test for just that problem:)  After wearing them all day, on one sock, there was a very very small amount of pinkish tinge.  It was extremely minimal.  Still, I'd probably have a designated "wear with these shoes only" pair of socks, just in case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
HandsyMalone

Also answers to Leroy...long story

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009 05:00:14 AM »

Absolutely fabulous!  What a great idea!  And bravo to your DH for the liquid masking idea, I read that and thought "My god, that's genius!  And logical!"
The shoes look awesome and the instructions are very good. 

Oh, and I hit the 'this rocks' button.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hipmama1970
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009 09:42:48 AM »

Wow, that turned out really well! And, I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to do it from your tutorial, thanks for all the pictures and text.

And my son LOVES your zombie son. I think I may have until October to figure out how you did that, too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen, homeschooling mom of 4
Majamei
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009 12:43:22 AM »

i love this !
whales look sooo cute:D

I was thinking about changing color of my converse shoes, but I never thought about rubber, so thank you for this post because otherwise I would destroy a new pair of converse. Smiley (I thought that ruber wouldn't change color) .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
captains outrageous
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009 08:00:48 PM »

hehe, i heart whales. ^ ^ Nice job, they're super cute! And your husband did a fantastic job on the zombie makeup, me and my older sister both screamed when we scrolled down to the close-up of your son.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Peace out homeslice.
 \ /     
 (  )
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ursula Le Guin on Her Favorite Childhood Books
Ursula Le Guin on the Influence of the Earthsea Series
Mark Nepo on Creating the "Seven Thousand Ways to Listen" Audiobook
Joanna Brooks Reveals Her Story in "The Book of Mormon Girl"
Kathy Reichs on Her Novel "Bones Are Forever"
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...