A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: can I open an etsy store for someone else??  (Read 484 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ksew
« on: January 13, 2009 10:38:34 AM »

Hey crafters!

I have some questions about the logistics of opening an etsy store. Here's what I *want* to do, I'm just not sure of the red tape, and any advice whatsoever would be fantastic!

My sister makes beautiful nature drawings. I've collected quite a few of them and am about to print them to make cards. She's a mom of 2 and overloaded with too much stuff to do and living on an extremely limited income. I just wanted to try to sell some cards for her to get her a bit of extra grocery money, etc.

I don't have a problem using my own credit card to set up an etsy shop, but is it legal for me to do this if I'm not claiming these cards are made by me, or that the store is "mine"? Do I have to actually register a business for her  in order to be able to sell on etsy?
It's just going to be cards, so I'm not talking about a lot of money here, but I just was wondering if anyone has any insight on this.
I also run my own company and have already gone through all that legal stuff for myself, so I'm trying to avoid it this time around.

One more question... I do have a paypal acct. I use for my own business but I want to set up a new one for the etsy shop to keep the income separate. Will I myself have to pay taxes and claim this money as income when I do my taxes? I'm not going to be keeping any of the profit. I will just print the cards, be the contact person, send out orders, and then send my sister checks. So... is this possible? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Josh - Photo.net
Photography Guru - Knitting Knucklehead

My little man and me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009 11:12:44 AM »

Regarding etsy:

It shouldn't be a problem as long as you are doing it with her permission. If you have permission (or a usage deal) with the copyright holder (in this case your sister) I can't imagine what issues you would run into. But I am *NOT* an etsy expert. I'm just speaking from my normal business/copyright knowledge.

Regarding the taxes:

Again, I'm *NOT* an accountant. But the general rule is that if you earn the money, you pay taxes on it. However, there are a lot of other forces in play here. Do you already earn enough money from your etsy sales to have to file taxes? The IRS generally doesn't make you file for "hobby businesses" until you are making over $600 a year (after expenses I believe). How sketchy are you willing to be? I doubt that the IRS is going to chase you down for etsy sales any more than they chase small time ebay sellers. That having been said, there is always the risk that someone will notice. Though in my opinion it's a very small risk.

Overall:

If you want real honest-to-god answers, talk to an intellectual property lawyer (bring in a copy of the etsy TOU) and an accountant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daisypack
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009 01:01:40 AM »

this is legal if you recognise your role. as etsy says they want people who collaborate or is in a group to write the role of each person in each product. i'd say you write on the front page that you operate the shop, the drawings are done by "name" and are produced by "name". with the credit card issue it is alright to use your credit card and the arrangements are to you and your sister's discretion (so as long it is okay with both of you, you can do so). if you are getting nothing out of this i would not suggest you have this arrangement, it's really not fair for one person to benefit from two people's work. search on etsy, they have a lot on multiple owners, collaboration, etc. and they have something called "teams" which you should check out. you don't need to have a license or pay taxes as far as i'm aware.

hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lt. Gen. Russel Honore Reveals His Motto
Ann Pearlman Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Nic Sheff Reveals His Favorite Words
Glenn Beck Talks About The Christmas Sweater
Stacy Morrison Talks About Falling Apart in One Piece
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...