A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Surface by Norah Gaughan Knitalong  (Read 2630 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sugarpie
« on: January 12, 2009 09:53:11 PM »

I was just poking around Knitty, and this lovely caught my eye.  I like bobbles.  It's because I like polkadots and just dots in general.  And apparently, I like Norah Gaughan, because this would be a second project of hers that I'm going to do.  I did the one that was on the cover of Vogue Knitting a few years ago.  It came out great and I like it a lot, but it was fraught with problems. 

This one is so cute.  I just love it!  Anyone else want to try it with me?  I wish I could post the picture, but here's a link. 

I'm thinking I'll do it in brown too!  And I already have the yarn!!!

Anybody? 

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter08/PATTsurface.php
THIS ROCKS   Logged
k-sparkle
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009 04:14:11 AM »

Spookily I was looking at the pattern just minutes before logging into Crafster. I have another project to finish, but right after I will be joining you on this. I have some brown,khaki,orange multi DK yarn in a bag waiting to become something and I think "surface" will be just the thing. Let me know how it's going.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarpie
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009 06:32:04 PM »

Okay!  I just finished a pair of mittens, so I'm ready to get started on Surface.  This is my first knitalong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarpie
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009 01:44:50 PM »

So far I've made the back and the collar.  See how cool the bobbles look?  Also, I like the reverse side too.  I'm working on the fronts now.

There are so many people who have FINISHED this on Ravelry!  Crazy!  So fast they are!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
k-sparkle
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009 12:48:26 PM »

I've started mine and have done the back, left front and now am doing the right front - no bobbles yet!!
Here's a picture of the yarn I'm using

It looks good knitted up but I haven't taken any pictures yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarpie
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009 04:22:10 PM »

Wowee you're way faster than me!  I've only just finished the back, left front and the collar.  I can't wait to see pictures of yours.  Your yarn looks so nice.  Does it have a slight variegation to it?  That will look so nice on the bobbly sections. 

Are you on Ravelry too?  There's so many finished ones on their site.  45 or so. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
k-sparkle
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009 06:45:22 AM »

I am quite a fast knitter but have been knitting since I was 5 or 6 (40 now). Also I only work 2 days a week so do my housework and other jobs during the day and knit most evenings while watching tv - I am a tv/movie addict.

I have now finished the back, both fronts and one sleeve. I cast on sleeve 2 last night. The bobbly bit does take longer than the stocking stitch sections so I'm sure you'll catch me up as you've got the collar out of the way.

The yarn is variated and is really nice knitted up, particularly on the bobbles. I will take some pictures but I'll have to block as the edges are curling up really bad.

I am on Ravelry too, same name if you're looking for me, but I only joined recently having read posts on craftster. I checked out the finished ones this morning - 14, I think - those folks must have cast on really soon after Knitty was published. I am trying to only have one project on needles at a time so had to complete the last one before getting started on this.

The colour you're doing looks lovely but is it brown? It's so difficult to get the colours to show up well in the photos.

Are you going to do the wrap as well? I think I might.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarpie
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009 09:17:27 AM »

My Ravelry name is Sugarpies, the singular was already taken.  Can you believe it?   Grin

I love how fast you are!!!  I wish I was that fast.  I'm very excited to see this as an actual sweater and can't wait to see your pictures.  I agree that color is hard to gauge online.  Mine is a dark brown, similar to the model one knitted up on Knitty.com.  I want to do the wrap, but am certain to run out of yarn, so I'll have to order more.  I know the dye lot is unlikely to be the same, but I'm thinking that maybe it will be okay if it's all for the wrap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
k-sparkle
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009 12:26:33 PM »

I've taken a picture of the finished sleeve so you can see the colour and bobbles - I really like it althought when I started knitting I wasn't sure as I haven't used these multi colour yarns before.

I think I will have enough yarn for the wrap as I have 3 complete 100g balls left at the moment. I agree that if you can't get the same dye lot, that the wrap in a different dye lot should be ok.

I'm going to get started on that 2nd sleeve now!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarpie
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009 11:06:32 PM »

Your sleeves look fabulous!  I love how the variegated yarn gives it movement.  Way cool.  I'm working on my right front and hope to finish it tonight if I can make it.  I've never blocked a sweater before.  This is the first time I've done set-in sleeves too.  I'm sure it's mentioned in one of my books.  Have you any tips on blocking?  Do I need any special tools or materials?

I befriended you on Ravelry.  I liked the smocked jacket in your queue so much I put it in mine.  It's so nice.  I think I'm going to use the Tess Designer Yarn that's in my stash, it's a nice baby blue merino angora.  I bought it at Stitches West (a knitting convention they have over here in the San Francisco Bay Area annually). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kekla Magoon Reveals Her Favorite Person in History
Reynolds Price Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Ian James Corlett Reveals His Favorite Movie
Jeffrey Rotter Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Alan Katz Reads the Poem On Top of the Bleechers
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...