A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,851
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Living in 700 square feet.  (Read 11157 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PuppyHero
« on: January 12, 2009 08:22:19 PM »

For my birthday I got to turn my dinning/craft room into a craft/dinning room.  I feel like I live in a Ikea showroom now!  Basically I have a very small apartment roughly 700 Sq ft.  and I like to craft and my boyfriend likes to play his computer.   So we redid the dinning area so that we can both use it.  Plus we needed more book room, our book shelves were overloaded!

The before:

The during:

The after:

we got a room dividing double sided book shelf with a desk that attaches.  the sewing machine fits wonderfully into one of the shelf units and slides right onto the desk.  I have 4 clear craft storage drawers and two sets of small drawers for little things.  The piece on the right is a fold down birch table, it has two leaves that swing out to sit 4 + people. 

just to show where I moved the Bean (turtle).  I plan on making a skirt to fit around the desk we have her tank on too. 

The crafting side of the shelving unit.  I even have my great grandmothers knitting needles out in a pot. 

The boyfriends area.  I really need to figure something out with the garbage can though, its a sore thumb right now!

a side of the table up.  It will work great for extra crafting space for big projects, and when I am cooking in my tiny kitchen for extra cooking prep space too.  There is room to move the table on the other side of the book case towards the living room if needed for dinner guests.   Just in case we don't want to sit on the couches?

a view of the table again, with a crafty picture of my pup too. 

I figured anyone who has limited space might get a kick out of the new "crafting cubby"  as the boyfriend calls it. 

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009 08:24:49 PM by PuppyHero » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009 08:39:50 PM »

Wow!  You really turned that into a tidy, multi-purpose space!  Good for you guys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patchyemm
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009 10:32:25 PM »

That looks fantastic - that room dividing bookcase was a terrific idea.  And so cool and convenient that the sewing machine slides right out onto the desk.  That space must be a real pleasure to work in (for both of you!).  Brilliant ideas.  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009 10:36:33 PM »

I love it!  What a great little craft nook.  I have the same book case from Ikea and it is so perfect for storing all kinds of things, and in your case, makes a fashionable room divider!  I also am in love with your turtle, I have two aquatics myself but they are babies and less than 2 inches still  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BossyLibraryLady
Resident Gorgon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009 12:20:50 AM »

I know it sounds kitsch, but maybe you could whip up some sort of skirt for the rubbish bin to make it a bit prettier? The lid would still be visible, but at least the main body would be concealed...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Glitter is like the herpes of craft supplies. Once it's on you, prepare to have it on you FOREVER." -Demetri Martin
Soledad
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009 03:25:46 AM »

Another reason to wish I had an Ikea nearby.  Your area looks lovely.  You're one smart cookie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PuppyHero
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009 06:07:35 AM »

I love it!  What a great little craft nook.  I have the same book case from Ikea and it is so perfect for storing all kinds of things, and in your case, makes a fashionable room divider!  I also am in love with your turtle, I have two aquatics myself but they are babies and less than 2 inches still  Cheesy

Thanks!   and the turtle, she is "the Bean" because her real name is Jelly Bean.  I got her when she was slightly larger than a quarter! she is now almost 7 years old.  another happy 28 years to go!

I know it sounds kitsch, but maybe you could whip up some sort of skirt for the rubbish bin to make it a bit prettier? The lid would still be visible, but at least the main body would be concealed...

The thing is driving me nuts!  Its big and white and looks just BLA!   There really is no good place to put it in the apartment.  Maybe I can devise a little trash can container? or ban garbage from my house all together!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PuppyHero
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009 06:09:24 AM »

Another reason to wish I had an Ikea nearby.  Your area looks lovely.  You're one smart cookie.

Its usually a once a year special trip for us, its almost 2 hours away.  But worth the drive when we go!  Its an all day adventure with our friends. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Motherfungus

What I really need are minions.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009 07:22:20 AM »

I'm so jealous!  I love your "crafting cubby"!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thoughts become words, words become actions, actions become habits, habits become character, character becomes destiny, you become confused, just be nice.
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my brown eyed girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009 08:25:39 AM »

Good use of that Ikea shelf.  I have one too and I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New York Fashion Week Spring 2014: Backstage With Hervé Léger
BEAUTY BUZZ: Jason Wu - NYFW Spring 2014
5-Minute Makeup for Your First Day of School
Get A Bright Summer Makeup Look
Get the Jessie J Makeup Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...