A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,501
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Medieval crochet -- Shout out to all SCA or Adrian Empire members!  (Read 3736 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Zeenobia
Well behaved women never make history.

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2009 02:41:56 PM »

I have looked, and looked, and looked.....has anyone ever found a documented piece of crochet from the middle ages or renaissance?  Ever found a book or website that mentions the date of the earliest crochet as being prior to 1650? 
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Certainty of death, small chance of success... What are we waiting for?"  -Gimli

Check out my Etsy shop:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/WendyLadysWares
Joujoudoll
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009 04:01:27 PM »

Crochet had not yet been a trade in medieval times... I think you should take up knitting if you're wanting to use one of these methods for making garb. Knitting dates back to the 16th century, so I think you'd be pretty safe using knitting.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009 04:02:25 PM by Joujoudoll » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog!

Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart, and the senses.
halfwaynowhere
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009 04:38:28 PM »

I have seen many crocheted items being worn or sold at the ren fair, but from my understanding, crochet is a fairly modern technique. It originated in the early 1800s.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Joujoudoll
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009 06:59:47 PM »

Looks like crochet is older than we all thought...

http://ezinearticles.com/?History-of-Crochet-1500-BC---1820&id=85872

This is all speculation... It's not hard cold facts, but I think it could be possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog!

Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart, and the senses.
halfwaynowhere
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009 11:25:42 PM »

Looks like crochet is older than we all thought...

http://ezinearticles.com/?History-of-Crochet-1500-BC---1820&id=85872

This is all speculation... It's not hard cold facts, but I think it could be possible.

while there is that speculation, we have found artifacts of other forms of needlework from long ago, but there really hasn't been any crochet garments found, at least, not in the sense that we know it. I suppose it you wanted to crochet a shawl or something using your finger as a hook, nobody could dispute that its not appropriate, as yarn and fingers both existed in the 1600s, so its very possible that someone did figure out that  technique.
I do civil war reenacting, and its hard enough convincing other reenactors that crochet existed in the 1860s, even though there is much more evidence that it originated in the early 1800s than there is to support its existence in the 1600s.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Joujoudoll
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009 11:57:42 PM »

My aunt and her husband use to do civil war reenacting... My aunt's husband is a gunsmith, and he creates guns that replicas of what used to be used in the times of the civil war. He also creates rifles and things like that for hunters.

Anyhoo, I know crochet existed at least by the 1800's, and I truly believe it probably existed before hand as well. Many people in the 1800's crocheted and knitted, that was a major part of keeping warm during those cold months. People made sweaters, hats, scarves... It's kind of silly that some people don't think crochet existed in the 1860's...

Anyhoo, I'd definitely go with knitting if you want to be sure to follow the guidelines of SCA... The Renaissance faire is different from SCA events and people at the Renaissance faires even wear faerie wings and things like that, so I can see why crochet would be at a Renaissance faire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Coral Lips at the Desigual SS 2014 Fashion Show
How to Make an Exfoliating Rice Face Mask
Age Defying Oatmeal Treatments and Diet Tips
Top 5 Drugstore Foundations
Sephora to Launch Beauty Social Media Site
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...