A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Weekender in a weekend  (Read 4560 times)
Tags for this thread: weekender_bag , amy_butler  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Goofydes

Go Team Venture!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2009 09:39:20 AM »

I started on Friday and completed The Weekender on Sunday evening. Granted I did stop for an afternoon on Saturday due to frustration. Tongue The only problem I had with this bag was sewing the bottom on. I ripped it out and re-did it twice before it was at a point where it was going to get no better and I could just hand stitch the boo boos. I was very proud that I did not break any needles Grin, but I did break the heads off a lot of straight pins and have some lovely cuts on my fingers from them. Overall this bag was a challenge and patience is key. Also, follow the pattern!!! I do not know how many things I had to rip apart because at the time I thought what the instructions were telling me to do was stupid only to find out there was a logical purpose for them down the road.
The outside:(The picture makes the front seem crooked when in fact it is aligned)

The inside:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009 09:40:51 AM by Goofydes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stuffs for sale! I has stuffs for sale!
www.deskirkland.etsy.com
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009 09:53:05 AM »

OH!  I love this!   You did a fantastic job, and I love the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YoungMom
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009 10:01:30 AM »

All your hardwork paid off!!! It looks fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Amy~~
nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009 10:10:55 AM »

You've done a beautiful job! It looks fantastic, and your fabric choices are beautiful. I must admit I'm scared of this pattern. I have the basic fabric for the bag, but I haven't purchased anything else! What did you use for interfacing? I can't find the stuff she calls for. Again, brilliant bag! You should be proud of yourself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
Goofydes

Go Team Venture!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009 10:18:02 AM »

I was scared of this bag at first too and my husband thought I was crazy because I was giving all the pieces I cut out and my sewing machine a motivational speech before I started. I found the Timtex that was in the pattern and a little fabric store near where I live, but it was just as expensive as the fabric. Luckily they had the Pellon equivalent which is Pellon 71. When I visited Amy Butler's website and looked at the corrections posted for the weekender, she did name Pellon 70 as an alternative to the Timetex. I didn't use decorator weight fabric, no store in the area had Amy Butler decorator weight, only regular and I wasn't driving an hour and a half to a place that "may" carry it, so I used decor weight Pellon interfacing in lieu of regular interfacing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.deskirkland.etsy.com
Polly Peanut

gone crazy - back soon!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009 10:45:27 AM »

Oh, this is adorable! I`m so afraid of the Amy Butler patterns,  a friend gave me one of her books, but I think, her patterns are just not for me Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

klum78

Actual size shown

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009 10:55:19 AM »

This is gorgeous.  I have her Sophia pattern but have heard such horrid things about her bag patterns that I am afraid to try it.  Tongue   It's good to know that this can be made in a weekend though.  I want to make one for a friend's bridal shower in April.  What size is the bag IRL?  Could it be used as a carry-on if she took it on a plane?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
Goofydes

Go Team Venture!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009 11:51:52 AM »

Sure this can be taken on a plane. It came out much bigger than I thought! It is about 15" high x 17" wide x 7" deep. I initially made it for my swimming stuff for school, but when I put the stuff in there it was like an echo in a canyon in there (heeellllooo). I am very excited that I got the Sophia carry-all pattern in the mail today and can't wait to get that started! Hopefully it will be a lot more practical to take to school and fit in a locker!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.deskirkland.etsy.com
DoodleLou
I don't know what I don't know. But I want to know.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009 12:56:09 PM »

I was scared of this bag at first too and my husband thought I was crazy because I was giving all the pieces I cut out and my sewing machine a motivational speech before I started. I found the Timtex that was in the pattern and a little fabric store near where I live, but it was just as expensive as the fabric. Luckily they had the Pellon equivalent which is Pellon 71. When I visited Amy Butler's website and looked at the corrections posted for the weekender, she did name Pellon 70 as an alternative to the Timetex. I didn't use decorator weight fabric, no store in the area had Amy Butler decorator weight, only regular and I wasn't driving an hour and a half to a place that "may" carry it, so I used decor weight Pellon interfacing in lieu of regular interfacing.

Grin LOL!  Love the "giving all the pieces I cut out and my sewing machine a motivational speech"  LOL! Grin
Been there, done that.
Funny, how it's the fabric and the machine who are the trouble makers and not us!  Wink
Ha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Self diagnosis: Obsessive, complusive crafty addict with AD/HD tendancies.

"The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Demetri Martin

https://www.facebook.com/Feeding.the.Habit
mhills

That's A Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009 05:11:09 AM »

Great Job... It looks wonderful...

I have been thinking about getting that pattern however I am afraid since I have heard so many say it is a pain.. And I hear she has so many pieces....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Chrome Metal Text Effect in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Custom Color Palette From an Image in Fireworks CS3
How to Create a Glossy Text Effect in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Layer Mask in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Metal Button in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...