A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bridal Shower gift ideas  (Read 2100 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tigrisgalaxy

"It's on the internet...no stopping it now."

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2009 07:30:46 AM »

I'm going to a  bridal shower in two weeks and I'm having a brain freeze on the gift that I should make the bride. I don't know the bride real well, so that's a difficulty. I wanna make a purse for her and fill it with some kind of goodies...I just don't know what. I need help!!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dear You,
      If I stepped into your shoes for 1 day, would the grass really be greener on the other side? What would I see through your eyes for 1 day? Send entry to: dearyou4mee@gmail.com. Sign with first name, city and state/country.
Me
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009 04:08:43 PM »

How about filling it with items for an emergency "day of" kit?  Needles; threads of different colors to match the bridal gown, BM dresses, and tuxes/suits; cuticle scissors; breath mints; stain pen; garment tape; hairpins; blotting papers; etc.?

There's always the registry route as well, if the couple has registered.  You're assured of getting something they will want if you buy something off there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009 10:05:26 AM »

The emergency kit idea sounds really good!  I have a shower to go to at the end of the month and I found a really, really nice apron pattern (it's called a Friday Night Apron) I'm going to make for her.  It's a bit cliche', I suppose, but fitting especially if the bride has never lived on her own before  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009 09:49:51 AM »

I'm hoping to revive this thread since I have the exact same dilemma.  I know the bride fairly well, but we haven't been friends for too long so I'm hoping to only spend about $10-$15 on her shower gift.  I've made emergency kits in the past, so I might fall back on that (comb, floss, mirror, toothbrush & paste, clear nail polish, nail file, mini hair spray, lip gloss, sample perfume, breath mints, bobby pins, sewing kit, lotion, eye drops, Kleenex, pad - all in a decoupaged mini lunchbox), but I'd prefer something different.  Any other ideas for a fun shower gift that's a little crafty but not too expensive?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
dogwoodbonsai
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009 05:04:20 PM »

I like to give games as shower or wedding gifts because they're fun and maybe the couple will both enjoy them. 

You can make a container or bag to hold various card games, chips, pads of paper, pens, dice, dominoes, The Book of Hoyle......   

You could make up some charade/pictionary clue cards.

Or you could customize and personalize a board game for the couple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sillybowtie
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009 05:11:16 AM »

I like to give games as shower or wedding gifts because they're fun and maybe the couple will both enjoy them. 

You can make a container or bag to hold various card games, chips, pads of paper, pens, dice, dominoes, The Book of Hoyle......   

You could make up some charade/pictionary clue cards.

Or you could customize and personalize a board game for the couple.

Some good game ideas are Apples to Apples and Battle of the Sexes. They are great party games and you can find them at Walmart or Target. Sometimes we get on set of the Apples to Apples game cards and play Pictionary with them.

I just made an apron for one of my friends and she loved it. It was in a Chinese print of fabric and added a set of chopsticks on top of the box.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elsinora

This is the plane of suck.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009 04:53:35 PM »

One thing I saw at a friend's shower that I thought was absolutely brilliant: somebody gave the bride a laundry hamper full of assorted sizes of Tupperware.  Everybody always overlooks food storage, but it's absolutely essential to ANY couple!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe using a kettle and some string. And look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable."
julietalpha
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009 02:17:26 AM »

How about some sort of book/diary?  There are heaps of options for decorating note books and you can use them for so many things:

> either cut and paste or handwrite a few recipes in and you've started a recipe diary.
> decorate it appropriately and it could be a travel diary for the honeymoon
> a journal for the lead up and immediate aftermath of The Big Day
> speak to wives and recent brides to compile a book of advice

Something for everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much to make, so little time!
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009 05:42:02 AM »

What about your favourite cookbook, and if you want to add something crafty you can give her a decorated recipe box and some blank recipe cards (or you could fill some of them out). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009 07:35:46 AM »

I've been thinking about this topic alot over the past few weeks b/c one of my DD's favourite TA's is getting married in a few weeks and our church always does a bridal shower for all soon-to-be brides (which keeps us all pretty busy some summers!). Since this TA also goes to our church I know that very soon we will be having her shower. Our church is fairly traditional and most couples do not live together first, so setting up home together when they get married still happens. I don't know this bride-to-be very well other then through things my DD has been telling me, so I would need a relatively generic gift and since funds are tight I would need to craft at least some of the gift to keep costs down.

So far my ideas (aside from what's already been mentioned):

- make coasters (I'm thinking the criss-cross coasters that are on here somewhere) and then buy some mugs and either coffee or tea stuff to go with it, maybe also painting up a tin for tea bags. Or make this for outdoor entertaining and go with an ice-tea theme or whatever.

- fill a colander, or pasta pot, or mixing bowl with all the fixings for a great pasta recipe, then craft some placemats (and possibly other crafty kitchen stuff) to go with it. Could also print out some great pasta (or rice-dish) recipes to go with this.

- Picture frames for the wedding pictures always seems to go over well. Could decorate to match the wedding theme if you know it! (OK, may be overdone in some circles, but there have been other showers where there were none given... so ya never know!)

- One of my most-used bridal shower gifts has been a "conversion chart, measurement equivalents" magnet. I'm thinking you could print one and get it laminated, or make a few based on different charts and add them to any kitchen-themed gift.

- make a set of fun drink charms along with a set of wine glasses so the couple can host some great parties!

- make a birthday calendar so the couple will have all the b-days from both sides of the family in one spot (if you are good at scrapbooking and cardmaking, a b-day calendar would be no problem!).

- an herb garden for the kitchen window sill (if you are into gardening... or if the bride is...  Wink) along with other gourmet kitchen "stuff".

- for closer family members that got married I made a set of "embellishments" for their wedding scrapbooks. I made everything from tags to beaded embellishments to hand cut titles, along with the scrapbook made a very personal gift. These were very much a labour of love and basically covered the shower gifts and wedding gift in one. These were mailed across the country, at a reasonable cost, since we could not attend the wedding. They were very well received! Yes, lots of work but so worth it!

I'm off to make coasters since I love making those criss-cross coasters and they work well for all sorts of gift-giving! (Thinking hostess gifts for the visiting we will be doing this summer....  Cheesy)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009 09:12:48 AM by sunnyskies*4* » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Felted Sock Monkey - Part 2
Breezy Multi-Colored Valance
Felted Sock Monkey - Part 1
How to Make Ribbon Yarn Pillow Sham
Fabulous Twirled Edge Scarf
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...