A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,099
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Who's Got An Ashford??  (Read 7140 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009 08:52:21 AM »

(I never would, but somedays.... if your a parent you know  Wink

oh boy YES I know!  Love my children, but love them more now that 3 out of the 4 are out of the house and on their own!!!  I do have a life!!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009 08:53:35 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

"this kid is driving me craaaazy!"-Robert Munchs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009 09:36:38 AM »

(I never would, but somedays.... if your a parent you know  Wink

oh boy YES I know!  Love my children, but love them more now that 3 out of the 4 are out of the house and on their own!!!  I do have a life!!

LOL!!! You can get your life back?!?!?!  wow it seems like it will never happen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009 09:40:24 AM »

Yes, and it's a wonderful thing!!  My last 'child' at home is a 16 yo son, that loves to cook and even cleans up the kitchen after!!  No 'teenage moods' yet too!  Guess he learned from the other 3 that it doesn't get him anywhere!

I go to work at 6 AM, home at 6 PM.  Half the time supper is cooked.  I can eat and then spin/knit/weave/garden.  :sigh:  What part of empty-nesting is so bad???  I have 2 bedrooms that I use for fiber/weaving rooms now....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
bperry042
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009 10:39:05 AM »

I've got one!!  I absolutely LOVE my Kiwi.  It's very user friendly and makes gorgeous yarns.  This is my first spinning wheel and I would recommend it to anyone.  Here's my wheel and a few of my yarns from it:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

RubyPurl
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009 11:07:39 AM »

bperry042, I love your wheel, did you paint it?? That is one of my favorite colors.  Your yarn looks fantastic!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009 04:40:57 PM »

bperry042 Your wheel is beautiful. So is your yarn.

Is it easier to start with a one treadle wheel than a double for beginners? I'm starting to really research spinning wheels before I buy my first one.
Any users opinions will be so helpful to me.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

something_wierd

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009 05:26:40 PM »

I would say try it out.  However, it seems to me that if you have a saxony wheel, ST would be more comfortable.  I think I would be OK with either on a castle or more modern styled wheel.  I personally spin on an ST Elizabeth.  I say this, but I have only spun on one wheel.  It just seems like  when I imagine spinning, ST seems like it would work either way.  Spinning on my Elizabeth is exactly how I imagined. 

But really, if you have a spinning shop within an hour of you, take a field trip and give 'em all a spin.  Don't hope that what you buy is good for you.  I only bought mine because it was a crazy deal and if I didn't like it I could still probably sell it for a killer profit. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

"this kid is driving me craaaazy!"-Robert Munchs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009 05:36:38 PM »

Is it easier to start with a one treadle wheel than a double for beginners? I'm starting to really research spinning wheels before I buy my first one.

I didn't try my wheel first.  Actually I didn't try any wheel before I bought mine.  There was a lady in town who had a wheel in her basement that had barely been used.  Its a single treadle.  Sometimes I think of buying the double treadle  but am afraid it would take away my groove.  I just dove in, and I'm glad I did.  Its an Ashford traveler, nice and compact!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knkurz
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009 08:31:49 AM »

I don't think it really matters which you start with.  It's adjusting to the other style after you're used to one that becomes a problem! 

I know that I had trouble getting single treadle wheels to go around all the way when I first started, but then again, I was 9.  As an adult, I don't think you'll have a problem either way. 

EDIT:  Also, here's my wheel (it's also a Kiwi), with the jumbo flyer my SO gave to me!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009 07:37:33 AM by knkurz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bperry042
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009 11:54:45 AM »

bperry042, I love your wheel, did you paint it?? That is one of my favorite colors.  Your yarn looks fantastic!  Grin

I did paint my wheel.  Teal has been my favorite color lately too.  I still want to paint some sort of design on it that will look awesome when the wheel is turning.  But, I haven't figured out yet what I want to paint.

Thanks!  I had never used a spinning wheel before I got my Kiwi.  I had no trouble with the double treadle.  I'm not that co-ordinated, so I would think you would be fine with either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Malla Nunn on Present Darkness
Elizabeth Fremantle Introduces Us to Katherine Parr
Sarah Ban Breathnach: The New York Times Bestselling Author Who Lost It All
Motherboard: Author William Gibson on Real Life Technology
Chick-O-Saurus Rex by Lenore Appelhans and Daniel Jennewein
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...