A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Who's Got An Ashford??  (Read 8623 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RubyPurl
« on: January 11, 2009 04:57:20 PM »

I purchased a "Kiwi" Ashford spinning wheel when I was on vacation in Santa Fe this past June.  I love it!

Here is a bit of what I have been working on. Most some is Corridale and some is Merino.

Spinning is so much fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
BlankGirl

im a ghost gone mad, an angel in the dopesmoke

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009 05:37:51 PM »

wow that is beautiful. great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I paint these little pictures with a temporary poison. each one just like the other. i wonder why i even bother.
steph blue

good people make stuff

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009 06:42:20 PM »

I do I do!!!  I have the same one.  Hubby loves me and got me one for Christmas!

I posted the purple yarn further down the page.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=286321.msg3247239#msg3247239
THIS ROCKS   Logged

abssinth
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009 07:21:11 PM »

I've been wanting to get a spinning wheel for a while.  I crochet, and a girlfriend of mine weaves.  I've only handspun before.  This looks relatively easy to use and small enough that I won't have to clear out half a room to use it.  Do you know of anywhere online that sells this spinning wheel?  And if you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for yours?  (Being a newby to it, I wouldn't want to spend an arm and a leg on one.)  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009 09:03:48 PM »

Yes I second all of what abssinth just possted. I want to get into spinning also and haven't really found any where in town that I might go to for info. Your wheels are so cool.  Cry So coveting your wheels right now. *blushes*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009 06:11:27 AM »

I don't have a Kiwi, but do have a couple Ashfords. The older one is a Single Drive, Single Treadle mid-70's Traditional (well, she's not mine any more.  I sold her to a friend, but she still resides at my house) and a Double Drive, Double Treadle Traveller.

Then there's the late 1800's Great Wheel and late 1700's Irish style Saxony and the Kromski Sonata.

I mostly use the Sonata for spinning and the Traveller (with jumbo bobbin) for plying.

I spun on a Kiwi this summer and had bit of a problem getting used to the treadles, they seemed to sit much higher than the Traveller or Sonata.

I love Ashfords though - parts are readily available.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009 06:12:45 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009 08:11:53 AM »

I love my Kiwi!  It's sturdy and has several kits available, which makes it rather adaptable.  Mine's fitted out with the bulky flyer at the moment...I highly recommend it.  The Kiwi is one of the most economical wheels currently available, so it's a great choice for a newbie.

While I bought my wheel at a local Ren Fest, The Merlin Tree sells Kiwis online, including altered Kiwis that have folding treadles to make it a little more portable.  http://www.themerlintree.com/merlin006.htm
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009 09:30:30 AM by nicolassa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009 08:15:40 AM »

I do!  I have an Elizabeth 1.  For some reason I only have a full picture from the back.  Probably because I am dumb. Cheesy 

Here's a view of some of the flowers on her.  I'm not too keen on it, but someone spent a lot of time on it and it would be a shame to sand it off.  Ah, well.  My dream of an electric blue spinning wheel will come true one day.

She totally rules and would be living with me if I didn't live in such a tiny apartment most of the time.  She hangs out with my mom, dad, and cat.  She also has a glow in the dark drive band, too.  Much cooler than cotton warp thread from the previous owner.  That pony bead lacing stuff is awesome!

My dad recently fixed up a chair that used to belong to my great grandmother and painted it to match the green trim.  It is pretty nice and comfy.  Next time I am home I will take a picture.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009 09:36:00 AM »

I've got an ashford traveler.  She tucks in nicely just underneath my tv.   And she is currently holding the yarn that so far is my absolute favorite I've spun so far.  She's only a single treadle, I'm tempted to get the double treadle kit , but not sure if it would throw me off.  Otherwise once I figured out I needed an extra spring on the brake band, she's been a dream!  Makes me want to neglect my kids and spin all day LOL  (I never would, but somedays.... if your a parent you know  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RubyPurl
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009 05:11:17 PM »

Steph Blue, your hubby certainly does love you!  What a great gift! The yarn you spun looks fantastic!

abssinth and V3nu5- I think the Kiwi runs about $300.00, like nicolassa said, it certainly is the most economical out of most wheels that I have researched.  It is very simple to learn on. I purchased mine while on vacation in Santa Fe from Miriam's Well, here's the link to her store: http://www.sfschoolofweaving.com/ .  She is an Ashford dealer and did not have the kiwi in stock but picked up the phone and place the order for me and had it shipped to me.  It took no time to ship!  If you are interested in calling her, she may be able to order one for you and have it shipped to you.  It also looks like nicolassa has a pretty good link to! I think I may check them out for a bulky flyer, been needing one of those. Good luck!

something_wierd, beautiful beautiful wheel you have there!!!  Shocked

mullerslanefarm, you are amazing and your yarn is beautiful!  I checked out your website.  Grin

blankgirl, thanks for the nice comment!

Belladune, the traveler sounds great.  I think that may be my next big purchase that way I can spin where ever I go!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009 07:36:49 PM by RubyPurl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Be Beautiful On A Budget
The Astonishing Differences in Beauty Standards Around the World
Why Do Women Shave Their Legs?
Woman Gets Photoshopped Around The World
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...