A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Who's Got An Ashford??  (Read 7711 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RubyPurl
« on: January 11, 2009 04:57:20 PM »

I purchased a "Kiwi" Ashford spinning wheel when I was on vacation in Santa Fe this past June.  I love it!

Here is a bit of what I have been working on. Most some is Corridale and some is Merino.

Spinning is so much fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
BlankGirl

im a ghost gone mad, an angel in the dopesmoke

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009 05:37:51 PM »

wow that is beautiful. great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I paint these little pictures with a temporary poison. each one just like the other. i wonder why i even bother.
steph blue

good people make stuff

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009 06:42:20 PM »

I do I do!!!  I have the same one.  Hubby loves me and got me one for Christmas!

I posted the purple yarn further down the page.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=286321.msg3247239#msg3247239
THIS ROCKS   Logged

abssinth
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009 07:21:11 PM »

I've been wanting to get a spinning wheel for a while.  I crochet, and a girlfriend of mine weaves.  I've only handspun before.  This looks relatively easy to use and small enough that I won't have to clear out half a room to use it.  Do you know of anywhere online that sells this spinning wheel?  And if you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for yours?  (Being a newby to it, I wouldn't want to spend an arm and a leg on one.)  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009 09:03:48 PM »

Yes I second all of what abssinth just possted. I want to get into spinning also and haven't really found any where in town that I might go to for info. Your wheels are so cool.  Cry So coveting your wheels right now. *blushes*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009 06:11:27 AM »

I don't have a Kiwi, but do have a couple Ashfords. The older one is a Single Drive, Single Treadle mid-70's Traditional (well, she's not mine any more.  I sold her to a friend, but she still resides at my house) and a Double Drive, Double Treadle Traveller.

Then there's the late 1800's Great Wheel and late 1700's Irish style Saxony and the Kromski Sonata.

I mostly use the Sonata for spinning and the Traveller (with jumbo bobbin) for plying.

I spun on a Kiwi this summer and had bit of a problem getting used to the treadles, they seemed to sit much higher than the Traveller or Sonata.

I love Ashfords though - parts are readily available.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009 06:12:45 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009 08:11:53 AM »

I love my Kiwi!  It's sturdy and has several kits available, which makes it rather adaptable.  Mine's fitted out with the bulky flyer at the moment...I highly recommend it.  The Kiwi is one of the most economical wheels currently available, so it's a great choice for a newbie.

While I bought my wheel at a local Ren Fest, The Merlin Tree sells Kiwis online, including altered Kiwis that have folding treadles to make it a little more portable.  http://www.themerlintree.com/merlin006.htm
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009 09:30:30 AM by nicolassa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009 08:15:40 AM »

I do!  I have an Elizabeth 1.  For some reason I only have a full picture from the back.  Probably because I am dumb. Cheesy 

Here's a view of some of the flowers on her.  I'm not too keen on it, but someone spent a lot of time on it and it would be a shame to sand it off.  Ah, well.  My dream of an electric blue spinning wheel will come true one day.

She totally rules and would be living with me if I didn't live in such a tiny apartment most of the time.  She hangs out with my mom, dad, and cat.  She also has a glow in the dark drive band, too.  Much cooler than cotton warp thread from the previous owner.  That pony bead lacing stuff is awesome!

My dad recently fixed up a chair that used to belong to my great grandmother and painted it to match the green trim.  It is pretty nice and comfy.  Next time I am home I will take a picture.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009 09:36:00 AM »

I've got an ashford traveler.  She tucks in nicely just underneath my tv.   And she is currently holding the yarn that so far is my absolute favorite I've spun so far.  She's only a single treadle, I'm tempted to get the double treadle kit , but not sure if it would throw me off.  Otherwise once I figured out I needed an extra spring on the brake band, she's been a dream!  Makes me want to neglect my kids and spin all day LOL  (I never would, but somedays.... if your a parent you know  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RubyPurl
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009 05:11:17 PM »

Steph Blue, your hubby certainly does love you!  What a great gift! The yarn you spun looks fantastic!

abssinth and V3nu5- I think the Kiwi runs about $300.00, like nicolassa said, it certainly is the most economical out of most wheels that I have researched.  It is very simple to learn on. I purchased mine while on vacation in Santa Fe from Miriam's Well, here's the link to her store: http://www.sfschoolofweaving.com/ .  She is an Ashford dealer and did not have the kiwi in stock but picked up the phone and place the order for me and had it shipped to me.  It took no time to ship!  If you are interested in calling her, she may be able to order one for you and have it shipped to you.  It also looks like nicolassa has a pretty good link to! I think I may check them out for a bulky flyer, been needing one of those. Good luck!

something_wierd, beautiful beautiful wheel you have there!!!  Shocked

mullerslanefarm, you are amazing and your yarn is beautiful!  I checked out your website.  Grin

blankgirl, thanks for the nice comment!

Belladune, the traveler sounds great.  I think that may be my next big purchase that way I can spin where ever I go!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009 07:36:49 PM by RubyPurl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009 08:52:21 AM »

(I never would, but somedays.... if your a parent you know  Wink

oh boy YES I know!  Love my children, but love them more now that 3 out of the 4 are out of the house and on their own!!!  I do have a life!!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009 08:53:35 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009 09:36:38 AM »

(I never would, but somedays.... if your a parent you know  Wink

oh boy YES I know!  Love my children, but love them more now that 3 out of the 4 are out of the house and on their own!!!  I do have a life!!

LOL!!! You can get your life back?!?!?!  wow it seems like it will never happen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009 09:40:24 AM »

Yes, and it's a wonderful thing!!  My last 'child' at home is a 16 yo son, that loves to cook and even cleans up the kitchen after!!  No 'teenage moods' yet too!  Guess he learned from the other 3 that it doesn't get him anywhere!

I go to work at 6 AM, home at 6 PM.  Half the time supper is cooked.  I can eat and then spin/knit/weave/garden.  :sigh:  What part of empty-nesting is so bad???  I have 2 bedrooms that I use for fiber/weaving rooms now....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

bperry042
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009 10:39:05 AM »

I've got one!!  I absolutely LOVE my Kiwi.  It's very user friendly and makes gorgeous yarns.  This is my first spinning wheel and I would recommend it to anyone.  Here's my wheel and a few of my yarns from it:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

RubyPurl
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009 11:07:39 AM »

bperry042, I love your wheel, did you paint it?? That is one of my favorite colors.  Your yarn looks fantastic!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009 04:40:57 PM »

bperry042 Your wheel is beautiful. So is your yarn.

Is it easier to start with a one treadle wheel than a double for beginners? I'm starting to really research spinning wheels before I buy my first one.
Any users opinions will be so helpful to me.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

something_wierd

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009 05:26:40 PM »

I would say try it out.  However, it seems to me that if you have a saxony wheel, ST would be more comfortable.  I think I would be OK with either on a castle or more modern styled wheel.  I personally spin on an ST Elizabeth.  I say this, but I have only spun on one wheel.  It just seems like  when I imagine spinning, ST seems like it would work either way.  Spinning on my Elizabeth is exactly how I imagined. 

But really, if you have a spinning shop within an hour of you, take a field trip and give 'em all a spin.  Don't hope that what you buy is good for you.  I only bought mine because it was a crazy deal and if I didn't like it I could still probably sell it for a killer profit. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009 05:36:38 PM »

Is it easier to start with a one treadle wheel than a double for beginners? I'm starting to really research spinning wheels before I buy my first one.

I didn't try my wheel first.  Actually I didn't try any wheel before I bought mine.  There was a lady in town who had a wheel in her basement that had barely been used.  Its a single treadle.  Sometimes I think of buying the double treadle  but am afraid it would take away my groove.  I just dove in, and I'm glad I did.  Its an Ashford traveler, nice and compact!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knkurz
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009 08:31:49 AM »

I don't think it really matters which you start with.  It's adjusting to the other style after you're used to one that becomes a problem! 

I know that I had trouble getting single treadle wheels to go around all the way when I first started, but then again, I was 9.  As an adult, I don't think you'll have a problem either way. 

EDIT:  Also, here's my wheel (it's also a Kiwi), with the jumbo flyer my SO gave to me!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009 07:37:33 AM by knkurz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bperry042
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009 11:54:45 AM »

bperry042, I love your wheel, did you paint it?? That is one of my favorite colors.  Your yarn looks fantastic!  Grin

I did paint my wheel.  Teal has been my favorite color lately too.  I still want to paint some sort of design on it that will look awesome when the wheel is turning.  But, I haven't figured out yet what I want to paint.

Thanks!  I had never used a spinning wheel before I got my Kiwi.  I had no trouble with the double treadle.  I'm not that co-ordinated, so I would think you would be fine with either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009 09:00:12 AM »

aww, i love how you painted the kiwi on the pedal!
i also have a kiwi wheel, but i find that i have outgrown it now...i love making REALLY chunky yarns and putting big pompoms and things which get caught up in the hooks. she was a great starter wheel but i may be trading her in soon.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
RhymeswOrange
please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009 08:20:59 AM »

Squee!  My Kiwi came in the mail yesterday.  Hubby definitely gets stars for this valentine's day gift. 
I finished her assembly was finished last night.  No spinning yet, I've only spun on a drop spindle so far but putting her together definitely made her less intimidating.  I'll be playing over the weekend!

I purchased from www.woolery.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
lissaw70
Hi....my name is Lissa...........and I'm a craft junkie...........

Pretty please?! With sugar on top???.....<3

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009 04:18:53 PM »

Man, oh man!  Totally coveting your kiwis right now!............. Wink

I can't wait for mine to get here later this week.........got a lb. of corriedale(sp?) and a lb. of merino to play with............. Grin

BTW.........the teal and natural one is soooooooo cool!............... Cool

*slinks off to find the SheepShed post...........*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama was wrong..........idle hands lead to fantabulous projects!!
Anicka10
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009 01:36:43 AM »

I have a Joy ... I'm really fortunate that the one Ashford distributor in the Czech Republic is in Prague, and let me try every Ashford model before I bought the Joy.  I've had it for a year now, and love it.  (I got pregnant right after I bought it, though, and couldn't sit too long to spin, so I haven't had too much of a chance to really try to many different things.  I've only done sorta bulky 2-ply stuff. 

I actually did really well on the Traveller and the Kiwi, and seriously considered the Kiwi, especially for spinning bulky stuff and art yarns.  (She said I can use the Kiwi whenever I want to mess around with super bulky stuff!)  I'd love to learn how to core spin and make the crazy ganny stacks and coils.  They just look so amazing.

The other benefit of the Joy is that it folds up and goes into its bag so my 3 1/2 year old doesn't "play" with it. I've only spun once with him there - he wanted to stick his hand in the wheel ... repeatedly ... even with me making yelping noises every time he'd start to put his hand close and saying, DO NOT TOUCH! over and over, until I finally had to carry him bodily out of the room and hand him to my husband.  Not a particularly ideal situation for a beginning spinner, is it? Wink

And thanks to all of you for such inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009 06:41:51 AM »

LOL Anicka10!   My son is also 3.5 and he has learned that he is not to touch the wheel when mommy is spinning.  Or, even when she is not spinning.  I wish I had somewhere to put my traveler other then the living room, but I don't.  So i 've made it part of the decor.  Now if I can only convince my 1 year old to not touch the wheel, especially when its spinning, I'll be set.  Until then, its spin only when he's asleep.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eternalsunshine
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009 09:36:23 AM »

I have a Kiwi! His name is Dallas Green Smiley

I havent gotten enough time with him lately!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SensiblyTacky
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009 07:43:42 PM »

Me! Me! Oh I have an ashford.

I've had it for about... a year and a half I suppose. I can't quite remember when I got the wheel really. I would have shared her earlier but I just got a camera yesterday! Yay more fiber fridays!!

This is Doreen. Named after an Old 97's song.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

RubyPurl
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009 08:18:50 AM »

Rhymesworange-what a fantastic v-day gift!  You are very lucky  Wink

Knkurz-how do you like your jumbo flyer?  I have been thinking about getting one.  I want to be able to spin more yarn on my bobbin.  Can you put a significant amount more on the jumbo?

SensiblyTacky-you have a beautiful wheel.  I have seen some of  your yarn in  the Fiber Friday forum.  You are very talented!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SensiblyTacky
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009 06:11:43 AM »

Thank you RubyPurl!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jiniphur
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2009 05:32:07 AM »

I do!!!  I have a kiwi also and love it!   I dont get to use it as much as i would like because i have a 10 month old that likes to sick his fingers in moving parts!  i have fun at nap time and when he goes to bed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RubyPurl
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2009 08:28:39 AM »

Ha ha!  I bet you look forward to nap time every day! I don't have children, but I have dogs.  They get very confused when I spin and sometimes get their noses just a little too close.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2009 03:03:56 PM »

I do!! I got mine this week from a very sweet local spinner who had gotten a Schacht and didn't really need her Traveller anymore. It was a SWEET deal. Very, very reasonable price. Too reasonable really but I'm not complaining!

The double treadle kit still needs to be oiled. (It came with the single treadle and a never opened double treadle kit. I was having a hard time with single treadling so I just couldn't be patient and put it on.) I'm not totally sure what I want to do. Has anyone ever refinished a Traveller? I don't want to mess it up but I think some light sanding and an oil that highlights the natural colors of the wood would be gorgeous!
She also used vaseline and graphite lubricant to oil it. So it's got a lot of black staining on it. Any advice with that? It works MUCH better with regular oil. What kind of oil should I get for it?

Here's a picture of a batt I spun up from a swap from the noodle princess when I got the hang of it. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
Faren
Sit and Spin

I am Sci-Fi

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2009 06:38:54 PM »

Gorgeous wheel and yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swap Friendly!

My Wists  http://wists.com/Faren
http://www.flickr.com/photos/faren422/

New hand spun yarns listed! 2/27/10
http://www.annellsannex.etsy.com
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009 07:16:38 AM »

I do, I do!  My traveler is identical to yours.  It was my first wheel.  I love that it can be used as either a double or single drive (and both Scotch & Irish tension for the SD!)

It is a very versitile wheel.  One thing you''ll want to know about it ... it does like to loosen up, so keep that allen wrench handy in a little bag hung from the wheel.  

When it is not in use, lower that M-O-A to the very lowest setting and unhook the brake band.  It looks like (from the position of your MOA and if I seeing it correctly, how streched out your brake band spring is, you will probably want to replace both your drive band and your brake spring.

There should be 2 small springs on your brake band; one that goes between the knob and the first hook on the front of the MOA, the second that hooks to the hook on top of the MOA.  Check the Ashford assembly guide.  It gives the exact scale of the various hardware pieces you need.

For finishing the treadles, Ashford recommends a clear lacquer.  Youll want something very durable that wont scuff easily.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009 07:48:11 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

freestyle
aka ModernSpin

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009 08:51:58 AM »

I have a Traveler! I also have the jumbo bobbin kit, but it is unfinished. I need to get out my sand paper and some clear lacquer so I can start spinning larger amounts.

The Woolery sells Traveler maintenance kits for $18.50. http://www.woolery.com/Pages/ashwheelsfr.html#traveller
ASHFORD MAINTENANCE KIT: includes spinning wheel oil, threading hook, spring, flyer hooks, footman joint, brake band and drive band.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2009 09:24:18 AM »

The Jumbo flyer/Bobbin is all I use on my Traveler now since I use it mostly for plying or bullky art yarns.

There is also a laceweight flyer offered, but I've never had the need to get one.  by using a stretchy drive band in double drive, I've been able to turn our very fine silks and cottons with the regular flyer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2009 09:55:16 AM »

I think there may be a maintenance kit in the bottom of the box. There is definitely only one spring on the brake band. So that's obviously an issue.

It did come with a lace kit MLF and it's never even been opened. The newsletter in the unopened double treadle kit was dated 1996. So if that's accurate as to when this thing was bought it's been sitting around for a long time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
HookerMama
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2010 06:46:19 PM »

i REALLY want a Kiwi. BAAAAAADLY.
as soon as the tax return $ comes in i am hoofin it down to my local yarn/fiber/spinning store and getting myself one.
now if only i can decide on what to paint my wheel. i have all sorts of ideas in my head.
everyones wheels are GORGE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is right isn't always popular. What is popular isn't always right.
sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2010 05:05:35 PM »

I got a Traveller for Christmas.  I still havn't had much luck spinning yarn on it yet but I am taking a class tommorrow so hopefully after that I'll be able to!  I just wanted to show off my wheel.  We got pink stain and stained it pink!!   Grin

To show the pink better:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2010 05:29:38 PM »

LOVE!! that wheel rocks! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

livmcc
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2010 11:59:43 PM »

Well I started with my Mum's old traveller and now i have added a dt Joy as well. I must say i love them Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Origami Boxes
How to Create an Origami Boat
Meet Origami Artist Alan Cernak
Learn About Working with Washi Paper in Origami
How to Fold Origami Paint Swatch Balls
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...