A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First knitting book  (Read 384 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tiger Mouth
« on: January 11, 2009 06:21:36 AM »

Hello fellow knitters.  When I learned that I was being sent to Iraq for a year I decided to learn to knit and now I need to know what to knit!  Cheesy  What is the first knitting book you bought?  I want a small book that I can carry on the plane (I can always order more books when I get there).  I flipped through First Knits by Luise Roberts and Kate Haxell.  This book has the basics (scarfs, hats, mittens, socks) that are knit flat and a pattern to make baby booties out of your swatches.  What are your opinion on the Knitting to Go Deck?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kelliz
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009 08:38:59 AM »

I think the 1st Stitch -n- Bitch book is a great one for beginners.  Is it too big?  It has alot of good info and instructions.  When I teach friends to knit, that's the book I usually recommend.  It also has more fun projects than other "beginner" books. 

Best Wishes in Iraq.  You'll be in my thoughts! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
epic1313
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009 10:30:58 AM »

I have to agree about the first Stitch n bitch book. I taught myself to knit from one of those "Learn to Knit" books, where you get the book and needles and all the stuff you need. It was fine, but the stitch n bitch book explains a lot. And when I was first learning, I forgot a lot. It was nice to have the patterns in the book with the information about learning to knit, so I could go back and reference what I wasn't sure on. Although, I do have to admit, I grabbed it from the library and don't actually own it.

Good luck over there. And stay safe.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mophelia

Craft Lives On!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009 05:34:06 AM »

I agree with getting the Stitch N Bitch Knitters Handbook. I literally take it everywhere. I taught myself to knit with this book. All of the patterns are a lot of fun. I got the book about 2 months ago and have already made all the basic projects(ribbed for her pleasure scarf, kitschy kerchief and go-go garter scarf) and am comfortable enough to move onto intarsia. Good luck. I don't know what sort of internet you will have access to but I sometimes find myself double checking on youtube since I sometimes need that extra visual instruction.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fallencupid
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009 05:27:08 AM »

I liked the book 'First Knits'. They had some really cute ideas in there--and it's great for beginners because there aren't a lot of hard techniques that can make a beginner feel overwhelmed. However, I didn't buy this book. I borrowed it from my library. The first book I actually ended up getting was a pre-teen knitting book. Because I could actually understand it!  Roll Eyes

Annie's Attic-'I Can Knit!' (Which is geared toward pre-teens, including all the patterns. But it helped me learn the basics, even if the projects were kind of dorky. LOL)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SassyRedhead
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009 11:18:56 AM »

I used Stitch N Bitch as well as Teach Yourself Visually Knitting.

If you have the opportunity now, you could go to your local  library and browse through a few books before you decide which one to finally buy for travel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides."
James Quinn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Morrison Hotel Photo Gallery Opens in Los Angeles
The New Zealand Night Sky Over Lake Tekapo
How to Take Photos of Food
How to Take Photos of Christmas Lights
How to Take Great Pictures of Cats
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...