A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
355 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PS3 Mascot Sackboy!! (Now with even more info on his construction!)  (Read 61855 times)
Tags for this thread: sackboy , little_big_planet , ps3 , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

a_falsario
« on: January 10, 2009 10:34:59 PM »

*Correction*

For my boyfriend's Christmas present I decided to take on Sackboy from the PS3 game, Little Big Plant.  I think I did a pretty good job! I was surprised!  My boyfriend really love it.  I'd be pretty upset if he didn't! The whole little guy took about two stressful weeks!  I couldn't find a pattern that I really liked so I decided to figure it out myself.  It involved a LOT of trial and error.  Roll Eyes

I don't know if anyone will want a tutorial but honestly I'm not very sure about how I made him. I completely winged it. I believe that the actual character is supposed to be knitted but I'm not very good at knitting. Instead I crocheted him! 

I used a I/9-5.50MM hook and sport weight yarn.

I just used single crochets and decreases/increases.  I made each piece a few times before I came up with something I was happy with. He is made up of 21 pieces (head, flat circle for the top of his head, body, two arms, two hands, two legs, two feet, and ten fingers) all sewn together with either yarn or two strands of brown thread. I bought the yarn and button eyes at Wal-Mart for a total of about 3 dollars. His tongue is a piece of felt and the fabric in his mouth is like a canvas material.

----Mouth (The most time consuming part for me!)

In order to have the mouth fit, you obviously need to skip a bunch of stitches in the crochet work to leave room to sew in the mouth piece. You need to make sure you have a place to put it!

Anywho, I broke a CD in half and then laid it on a piece of the black canvas. I made sure that there was at least half an inch of fabric showing around the CD. This fabric was used to sew the mouth piece to the head. The CD pieces were placed so that the broken sides are almost touching, so it almost looked like the CD was whole. I left a little less than 1/16in in between the pieces going all the way across. I then taped both pieces to the canvas so they wouldn't move. After that I laid another piece of fabric (the same size) on top of the CD pieces. I then sewed around the inside of the little circle. Once that was done I outlined the round edges of the CD so that I could easily see where the CD was. That made it much easier when I stitched all around the CD. I removed the tape as I got to it during the sewing.

Once the stitching was done, you could see the outline of the CD and the hole in the middle. I then stitched across the CD through the space I had left between the pieces. Because the CD was sewn in between the fabric while laying flat, there is some resistance when it's folded in half. That's what keeps the mouth open. I then sewed the mouth to the inside of the head.

**I guess it would be the time to say that I crocheted the head from the bottom of the neck up. I inserted the mouth piece once I crocheted a few rows above the mouth space.

The crocheted head keeps the mouth from opening too far.

----Sackboy guts...

Since his head is much bigger than his body I have a canvas tube of stuffing sewn to the bottom of his body going up through his neck and attached to the back of his mouth. That way his head stays up. Without it he looked really, really creepy.  His head slumped over to one side and looked like it was going to fall off.  Undecided

----Hands and fingers

The hands and the fingers are crocheted in amigurumi fashion just like the rest of him. It's a completely closed shape. The two ends are the back and palms of his hands. The hands were started from 5 stitches and then increased to the size I thought was proportionate. I then sc around for 3 rows and then decreased to close.

The fingers were all crocheted separately and then sewn on with thread. I believe that they are all 6 stitches around and about 4 or 5 rows long. I left the ends open.

----Details

The white stitching around his body is purely decorative.

The zipper was cut out of felt and sewed onto his body with regular thread. The zipper pull is made out of polymer clay and painted with acrylic paint.  It is attached to the body with thread.

If you have any questions or comments just let me know!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009 08:56:46 PM by a_falsario - Reason: Correction and more info! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy for one-of-a-kind rings!

http://www.sassini.etsy.com
Shimmer413

i'm a non-monotasker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009 10:41:23 PM »

oh, I LOVE this!!!  My husband and I both love LBP, so this is amazing!!!  Great work!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i like to dabble in it all... curiosity keeps me crafty.

my blog: paper + stitch
PerfectlyBohemian
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009 10:44:12 PM »

You did a really wonderful job on him! I am sure that a gamer wouldn't be much concerned (or notice?) about the difference between knit and crochet. Smiley (I really want to play this game but have no ps3 Sad )

Bravo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a_falsario
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009 10:46:51 PM »

Thanks so much! I've actually never played the game so it's nice to know that my work is acceptable to the people who do!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy for one-of-a-kind rings!

http://www.sassini.etsy.com
Malica
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009 10:52:49 PM »

Well done! Yes the original is knitted but this looks just like him. Besides, I don't think the makers of the games really took crafters into consideration -- crochet is far more suitable for a little guy like this anyway. Awesome job. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinfoilHalo
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009 12:24:25 AM »

This is so crazy awesome. I'm so so SO impressed!!!  Great job! I want one bad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my site: BrandeeBlank.com
bubblegum_phoenix
never admit defeat, just say it was artistic licence

do what you love, love what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009 01:50:19 AM »

that is so awesome. I hope you are super proud  Cheesy hes cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/sasha_tilson/

glitter it, no seriously, just add glue and glitter, no one will notice
poyupop

Master Craft Disaster!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009 01:56:05 AM »

You did a really wonderful job on him! I am sure that a gamer wouldn't be much concerned (or notice?) about the difference between knit and crochet. Smiley (I really want to play this game but have no ps3 Sad )

Bravo!

You did such a great job on this! As a gamer and a craftster... I honestly cannot tell the difference. All I can say that you did an absolutely wonderful job, and it looks great. *one day i will learn how to crochet*     (or knit)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cinnam0n_spider
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009 05:30:25 AM »

Oh my god!! This is possibly the cutest thing I have ever seen. Clearly you are ridiculously talented! Nice work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neosynthesis
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009 09:58:15 AM »

wow!  Your sackboy looks great!  You went into great detail and he looks fabulous...  I am inspired to make my own!  I know my fiance would love one of these as he's addicted to the game (as am I)... Thanks for posting your beautiful project and inspiring me to make my own.  Great idea using the CD for the mouth!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Stop Fridge Noises on Set
On Set Walkie Talkie Lingo
Film Set Safety
How to Script a Documentary
Concept of Exposure Latitude
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...