A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I have cloth baby diapers and wool diaper covers...now I just need the baby!  (Read 2925 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wisegirl
« on: January 10, 2009 07:13:01 PM »

I love cloth diapers! I used the old fashioned prefold with pins kind with my twins, who are now 4 years old.  But then I found all these wonderful patterns to make your own fitted diapers and I knew I had to make them after I found out I was pregnant. Well, I am 7 months pregnant..and have been sewing for 7 months  Grin

for the diapers i relied mostly on this pattern; www.fernandfaerie.c om/sewing_fitteds.html and after much searching I found this great pattern for the diaper covers where I could print off an actual pattern for 5 different sizes,http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/2007/10/free-soaker-pattern.html. This by far the best diaper cover pattern/instructions I found. 

I attacked my closet, my husband's closet (sshh, don't tell him), my fabric stash, cheap (and ugly) walmart fabric and the local consignment shop for all the fabric used. A variety of cotton, flannel, fleece and wool (for the covers). For the inside soaker part of the diaper I actually used the cloth diapers that I had already. I cut one in half, folded it and used those for two diapers. I am pretty sure they will work pretty well! The only thing I had to buy new was ribbing for the covers, elastic and velcro. I have 22 small diapers and 6 small covers, as well as 14 medium diapers and 7 covers. I am still working on more medium diapers but am so happy with how these have turned out I'll post some of them anyway. I figured I could take a little break before I start on the large diapers Grin

On to the pictures!

these are a few of the size small diapers and covers

medium diapers, i love the halloween one!

medium covers

small vs. medium

medium vs. small

and the insides

I found larger velcro for the size M and placed them outside the edge of the diaper vs. small and inside on the size S. I think the large velcro will work much better for a baby that size who is crawling around.

Would love your opinions and suggestions!! Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009 08:11:31 PM by wisegirl - Reason: photo problems » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just listen to the wind, mother nature's violin."  Chris LeDoux

check out my etsy shop; www.prairiemother.e tsy.com
nykole6412

i wish i was on southpark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009 09:09:00 PM »

they look fantastic!!! such a good job sooo cute!!  are they hard to make?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swimfinsmom
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009 09:33:00 PM »

What a beautiful stash you have set up there!  Wow, you have been so industrious!  I'd hold off on making any larges, especially if you have given any thought to ECing (elimination communication).  For us, we never needed any larges at all because she was out of diapers way before she would have needed any large sizes.  I wasted some money on large diapers, especially a cute one with Betty Boop appliqued on it. lol  Thanks to EC, dd was out of diapers day and night by 12.5 months.  Give it a try!  Shocked)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wisegirl
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009 05:03:48 AM »

they look fantastic!!! such a good job sooo cute!!  are they hard to make?

I didn't think they were too hard to make. I ended up with 4 layers of fabric plus the soaker inside which you had to then turn inside out after sewing them all together. Sometimes that was a tight fit. I have 4yr old twins so sometimes I didn't get as much sewing done as I wanted...I guess that's why it has taken 7 months! The only annoying problem I had was running out of elastic or velcro at inopportune moments! lol

the diaper covers were super easy and all made from wool sweaters I found at a consignment shop for super cheap.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009 05:05:34 AM by wisegirl - Reason: misspelled words » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qalliope
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009 05:48:12 AM »

Those look great! I followed a similar pattern and the only  problem I had in practice was that the soaker fabric I used liked to unravel a bit, so after a bunch of washes the fabric inside the soaker came loose from my stitching. In future incarnations I had to sort of quilt the soaker so the inner fabric wouldn't move around so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009 06:19:39 AM »

You did a great job, and good job doing the smalls AND mediums! (I mad mostly smalls and then was up a creak when the critter grew!) On the opposite coin my little guy had been in larges before a year. You just never know how they will grow. If you have cute diapers, though, you can always sell or trade them for larger!
The only suggestion I would recommend is next time make them stuff-able or make the insides in layers- that way they dry faster!
How exciting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wisegirl
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009 06:49:54 AM »

With my twins(who weren't small babies) and the prefolds/pins diapers I used they were in smalls for about 5 months, mediums for a year and large for about a year.  Can anyone tell me if these fitted diapers will be similar in size to the prefold or are the sizes not comparable? From what I remember, they look as though they are similar in size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AbbyRose
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009 10:18:47 AM »

Good job! Funny, I just made a handful of these from the same sites you used. I made the large size fitteds for my girl who is 16mths and they're almost too small, so I had to adjust the pattern to more of an xl. My daughter was in small size cloth diapers until about 3 or 4 mths, but she's big for her age. I'm assuming the sizing works about the same as for prefolds, depends on your child though.

I recommend you round the edges of the velcro you have sticking out because it can be scratchy. Also, I noticed you didn't add laundry tabs. They're great because when using those, the hook part of the velcro doesn't grab onto other clothes when in the laundry.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adorable handmade childrens hoodies in stock now!
Wistful Thinking.
I love to DYE Smiley
Handmade cloth diapers, booties, bags and more! www.abbyrosecreatio ns.ca
reves

My dreams balance out the rest of the day.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009 12:02:22 PM »

Great job!  I love making cloth diapers.  It's fun to have a variety of patterns. often I just made the diaper with out an inner liner and would   fold up a diaper to go inside. If my dd wasn't too wet I could just replace that folded diaper. Plus the diaper dried a lot faster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wisegirl
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009 02:27:19 PM »

often I just made the diaper with out an inner liner and would   fold up a diaper to go inside. If my dd wasn't too wet I could just replace that folded diaper. Plus the diaper dried a lot faster.

That is a really good idea! I might have to try that with a few, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Text Effects Instantly in Gimp
How to Make Funny Cartoons with Existing Pictures
How to Make HD-Quality Videos with Camtasia Studio
How to Create Moving Text GIFs
How to Use Prolines Vol 2 Sports Poster
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...