A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,073
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Trousers for boys!!!!!! (pic heavy)  (Read 1133 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lieslk

my baby's hand...1 day old

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2009 05:21:40 AM »

The sewing bug still has not left me.  I haven't had much time, but over the course of a few days I made these little trousers.  I wish I had taken a picture of the shirt and pants they were made from.  They are made from a shirt that was passed along to my husband but is too big.  I found that the length wasn't enough, so had to kind of add a little bit extra in the bottom.  Instead of trying to make it look like it was all the same material I decided to go in the opposite direction and use up the last bits of material from the last pair I made.  I'm not sure if they look a bit girlish?  Also, do the pants need more?  It feel as though something is missing, although I also don't want to overdo it.

Comments and criticism welcome.  (PS:  He has thermal leggings on underneath, so ignore any white bits that stick out under the trousers!)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009 05:25:30 AM by lieslk » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mushter
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009 05:35:46 AM »

They look so comy.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Weezawear.etsy.com: Baby, toddler, hippie style clothes and baby carriers designed and sewn by me.
peihan17
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009 05:41:23 AM »

Very cute- I want a pair!

I love the pose in the last one too! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pro personal swaps and always open to a penpal!  PM me =)

Wist :: Etsy :: Flickr
sdhrt
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009 02:08:45 PM »

I think they look good.  I know you are used to pants with stuff all over them when you get them from the store.  Remember that the waistlines are almost always covered by the shirt.  If it looks too simple too you, maybe some patch pockets?  You can always add those on later either on the seat or the front, perhaps in the same fabric as the bottom strips?  And you can always just sew in a 'mock-fly' (just sew a J-shape on one side of your center front seam) too.  Contrasting thread works well for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blonderage
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009 07:02:19 PM »

These are great!
I agree with the above poster, if you want to add more a patch pocket on the rear in the cuff fabric would be nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bladerunner
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009 08:13:49 PM »

If you're worried about them looking too "girlish" (I don't think they do), you could always add embroidery or an applique on one or both cuffs.

Or wait till he gets a bit taller, and cut off the bottom half of the legs to make shorts. It probably won't take long till he gets too tall for these, so you won't have to worry very long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Who's the freak in the tights?"
"Haven't been in Gotham long, have you kid?"
     --Batman Beyond
lieslk

my baby's hand...1 day old

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009 04:38:39 AM »

Wow, thanks everyone for all the great ideas!  I'm thinking I might just get three buttons in red, white and blue and stitch them onto the cuffs (thanks Bladerunner).  Kinda make them a little sailor-ish.  (With a bit of American influence thrown in for our American friends!)

I'm terrified of pockets Blonderage, but might try a plain white one on the left butt-cheek. 

And I really like the mock fly idea, I'm just not sure how to do it....?  sdhrt: Would I need to sew more material onto the pants?  I just wish it was summer over here so that he could wear them.  It's so cold at the moment that he lives in thermals and jeans.  Sad  (We're in New Zealand)  Is it bad to hope your child doesn't grow much before summer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sdhrt
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009 12:45:10 PM »

And I really like the mock fly idea, I'm just not sure how to do it....?  sdhrt: Would I need to sew more material onto the pants? 

I'm sorry I never responded! How terribly rude of me.  You could cut out a little fly-shaped piece of fabric, and basically applique it onto the pants.  If you wanted to add one to your pattern going forward, this is one way, I'm sure there are others, which might be better too, but this is how I would do it. While you are cutting out the pant front pieces, just add a little 'fly sized' backwards 'j' shaped piece to the front seam, both pieces.  (sorry I'm not good with any of those editor programs that you can draw on.  But picture the front center seam, and then draw a little J coming off of it so that the tail of the J is touching the center seam, and the long part is parallel with your seam).  Then when you go to assemble the pants, sew the crotch seam only up to the bottom of the 'j'. Fold one 'J' piece to the inside (this will be the 'top' of your fly, so think about which way you want it to 'open')  so that it lays on top of the other piece.    Then you can top-stitch the fly together around where the 'J' is, and viola, mock fly.  Was this terribly confusing?  Let me know if you have more questions and I promise to get back to you sooner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crafting Contagious Content Using Triggers
Crafting Contagious Content Using Social Currency
Crafting Contagious Content Using the Public
Crafting Contagious Content with Practical Values
Crafting Contagious Content with Emotions
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...