A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question for moms who crafted during pregnancy  (Read 2659 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LagamorphLounge
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009 04:51:05 PM »

I have generally stayed away from making blankets, unless it is a fabric that I must make one from (ie. rabbits!)  I have made mostly nurisng themed items, mostly because I think people feel akward giving you gifts for your boobs.  I made lots of fabric nursing pads, a nursing cover, a storage bag for the nursing pump and things like that.  Nursing has become a lot more common, but people would much rather give you a package of bottles than nipple cream, understandably.  Also, you get lots of baby gifts, and not too much in terms of practical you stuff.  I'm due in May and have gotten tons of clothes and all the big things like a crib and car seat.  Hope that helps and congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
samann1121

samann1121.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009 02:07:12 PM »

I'm due with my first in a little over a month, and I really haven't crafted that much!  I didn't start with a list -- I just figured that when the nesting urge hit me, it would hit in a major crafty way.  But since we don't have a nursery or even a crib to plan for, there's really not a whole lot for me to do!   Smiley 

I made some recycled cloth wipes and some recycled washable breast pads, and I'm planning on making my own diaper bag out of pair of old corduroy pants (because I couldn't find one already made that I liked!).  So really, I guess I'm just making the types of things that I KNOW I want, but that people are really unlikely to give me as gifts.  The majority of my nesting has come in the form of getting rid of all the EXTRA CRAP I HAVE CLUTTERING UP MY HOUSE.   Shocked  It has never bothered me more than it has while I've been pregnant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lillidrew312

I am so Team Edward!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009 12:20:57 PM »

I made my own baby sling, and can still use it 2 years later it was very easy, I also tend to make letter pillows for friends with little ribbon loops so they can be hung on the wall .

sorry for the crappy pic, his daddy was in the Army but tha acu fabric does not photograph well.
Gabriel

link to pattern for sling

http://www.mykarmababy.com/pages/BabySlingPattern.php
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirby_kurd
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009 06:09:32 PM »

I did a lot of crafting to save money (college student, baby was a surprise).  Because I wasn't enrolled in classes this year, I found myself with a lot of time for crafting.  I picked up all the baby furniture secondhand and fixed/refinished it.  I also made a crib bedding set, extra fitted sheets, a few baby blankets/quilts, changing pad covers, pre-made a bunch of scrapbook pages (just need to add photos and dates), picture frames, wall letters and other small decorations, etc.  I found myself crafting a lot just to pass the time (I was never one to just sit still, and couldn't find a suitable job).

I would agree with the others who said to skip the baby blankets - I had made a few different ones, and then received an unreal amount at my baby shower.  Of all the crafting I did, I think the scrapbooking pages were the best use of my time - I would have [eventually] made a scrapbook anyway, but getting a head start will really make it easy to make sure all the details of her first days/weeks will be captured before I forget them.

Congratulations!  I'm overdue and wish I could think of some other crafty things to do while I wait.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009 05:07:48 PM »

First of all congratulations!
I loved crocheting with the big belly I found it soothing to crochet and rock with the baby moving around.  I wanted to make a coming home outfit but my mom made one even before we knew I was pregnant and I loved it so I wanted to use it. I made one blanket and one stuffed animal special.  My daughter can pass them on some day if she wants.  I would get your sewing out of the way early I found it difficult to Sew later on as I got bigger. But make a list of things you want to get done (need) Not a long list but a list and then a second of things you would like to get done. Once you finished the first list then you can go on to the second. But dont forget that those special months go by so fast even though at the beginning you think you may never see that baby. Trust all of us who have gone through it you will be a mom before you know it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
rossie
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009 10:11:49 PM »

Contending with nausea, swelling ankles, aches and pains etc., I am sticking with practical stuff that I can't get elsewhere, or that is overpriced/ugly in the stores.  My list includes:

Baby sling or other carrier
Teeny tiny baby dresses!
A mannish nappy type bag for when my husband is out with bub
Onesies that suit our sense of humour Cheesy
Nursing pillows/cushions that will make feeding in bed or the rocking chair comfier
Pretty ribbon dummy (pacifier) clips

I'd like a trolley mate... not that I'm germaphobic, but they're so comfy looking.  I wouldn't mind trying to sew some nursing jammies, etc. for myself because the shop ones are way $$$ and not to my taste. 

A few things I've tackled or started already, but I won't be surprised if half this stuff doesn't get done due to my hormonal apathy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tartarus: Kingdom Wars II Book Trailer
Chuck Borsellino Talks About Pinocchio Parenting
GoldenGirl Book Trailer
Forever Young Book Trailer
Nina Malkin Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...