A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,897
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How can I fix this dress?  (Read 448 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

breemonkey
« on: January 10, 2009 05:15:28 AM »

Hello!

I'm in need of some assistance.  I am making this dress with a very fitted bodice and I'm unsure of what I need to do to make it fit right.  I have already taken in the side seams about 1 1/4" on the top, tapering it down to the same waist measurement as the original pattern.  Now I find that I have a lot of excess fabric bunching up right under my bust and the sides.  The waist measurement is about right, so trying to take in this excess fabric doesn't work.  I have experimented with the size of the darts, but it doesn't seem to help.  I'm starting to wonder if maybe I need to do a full bust adjustment.  According to my bra size, which I was professionally measured for (thank you, Victoria Secret), I am a D cup, and thus the patterns should be made for my size, however, according to some charts I've found online, I'm actually more like a D cup.  Any help in solving this mystery would be much appreciated!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is too short to finish boring WIPs.
misplacedhippie
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009 06:42:58 AM »

this is what i would do

1. get a friend (preferably a close one)
2. put on the bra and underwear (hoes whatever) you plan on wearing with the dress
3. put on the dress - Inside Out.
4. since the waist and i am assuming the straps are right, have the friend pin the bodice along your body making a nice outline of you (even on both sides) this might take a while if the friend doesnt sew, but it will work. make the pins go up and down along your body. with your bunching location I would start at the bottom and work up, making sure the fabric laid pretty under the boobs along the stomach, then work on the bustline.
5. Carefully remove dress (friend might have to help)
6. sew along the pins, tightly to the inside, or along the outside, either way it might have to be adjusted, but only a little.
7. turn dress rightside out and try on.  *remember you still have to trim press and clip your seam*

different companies measure for their bras, you might wear a D for company X then a C for company Y then a DD for company Z go with the numbers for a pattern.  just make the dress fit and flatter. dont worry about the boob size the pattern calls for, measure your bust and go with that size, the lettering is arbitrary sometimes and varies a lot. 

hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
breemonkey
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009 07:05:00 AM »

Thanks misplacedhippie!  I'll give it a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is too short to finish boring WIPs.
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009 11:20:25 AM »

the length of the bodice from wait to bust point may be slightly longer than yours, but you need the length to cover the rest of your bust. The darts look like they are hitting at the right place, for some reason I think it might look better with a strapless bra if you aren't already wearing one.
I can't tell where your apex (nipples) is, but the darts should point to the apex, but not go to the apex. To be very fitted you may need to do contour darts, which instead of being straight are curved. To do this, like it has been said, put it on inside out and pin. I pin, then mark so that I can take the pins out before removing so I don't get poked or poke my model with pins.

Visually, you don't look like a D-cup, which makes me think you might have a different rib cage shape than the pattern was made for. See : http://www.fashion-incubator.com/archive/palins-wardrobe-scandal/ and http://www.fashion-incubator.com/archive/a_question_of_thoracic_shaping/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Orleans Style Muffaletta Sandwich Recipe
Tex-Mex Tuna Salad Sandwich Recipe
How to Make Corn Biscuits with Andouille Gravy
How to Make Monte Cristo Sandwiches with Little Big Town
How to Make a Ramen Burger
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...