A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,038
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: recycled t-shirt dishcloths!  (Read 129929 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2009 , dishcloth , reuse , upcycle , washcloth  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fashionzombie
Doesn't Walk This World Alone

I get so excited, and my heart's ignited.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009 05:55:17 PM »

I was so inspired by these that I went in search of a tutorial on how to make t-shirt yarn...
and I found one! Here!
http://eloomanator.eloomanation.com/?p=46

It totally works, too. I have a big ball of t-shirt yarn sitting right next to me =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Even if it was, though, I wouldn't let you go--you could run, run, run, run but I will follow close.
McJulie-O
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009 09:27:50 AM »

I was so inspired by these that I went in search of a tutorial on how to make t-shirt yarn...
and I found one! Here!

It totally works, too. I have a big ball of t-shirt yarn sitting right next to me =D
Ooooooooh! That is a GENIUS tute on making the "yarn"...I never dreamed it could be so easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009 05:56:33 PM »

and I found one! Here!

awesome!!!!!!! thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

robotdinosaur
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009 01:22:19 AM »

thanks so much for all your compliments and ideas guys! a rug is definitely my next endeavor.

to answer some questions:
- i used size 7 needles.
- no ribbing, but i did a knit border and it was to keep the edges from rolling.
- to make the "yarn", i just cut my shirt horizontally starting along the seam and then snaking up.
- to attach the strips together if i had to, i just tied them. i liked the chunky look it gave them.

id love to hear some more ideas and answer any more questions anyone has!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

autopilotstar
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009 09:37:56 AM »

I tried the tutorial for making t-shirt yarn and it worked great.  I used the yarn to knit a dishcloth and it turned out pretty well.  I think I'm going to try to make a basket/bag using this technique. 

Thanks for the great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
autopilotstar
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009 12:38:53 PM »

I've noticed cutting the t-shirts and making the yarn AND knitting with it creates some little... bitties.  Little bits of the fabric that cover everything... kind of fall off as you go.  As we speak I am covered in little blue dots from it.  (so is my floor!)

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this... and if so, does it go away once the project is finished.  Because if not... I think that's going to be a problem Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robotdinosaur
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009 12:34:22 AM »

haha yeah i noticed that. but i find that with a jersey type fabric it happens a lot less. i guess it just depends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OnePinkHippo
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009 09:10:00 AM »

Great idea! There's an issue of Knit.1 magazine that features clutches knit out of recycled t-shirts.

I hate those lil fuzzies! I made an orange clutch out of a t-shirt and my carpet was orange speckled for like 2 months. (And it got in my cat's hair, too. Haha)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

robotdinosaur
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2009 02:49:24 AM »

ooo a clutch is a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

autopilotstar
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2009 02:23:39 PM »

So after a lot of work making t-shirts into yarn... and then more work knitting knitting knitting... this is what I made:

I was kind of disappointed with the final product.  I had pictured more of a basket type thing.  I'm thinking about adding some handles, but at this point I don't really feel like working any more on it because it's not really how I had pictured it turning out.  You can't really see it in the pictures, but the bottom is a mess!  It's all scrunchy and weird.  Anyways, I'm just using it as a basket/bin to keep my winter hats/scarves/mittens in inside the closet so they're not falling everywhere.

Here it is in its natural habitat (the closet).

After all that work I'm not happy with the final result Sad  But... at least it didn't cost me anything.  Just my time and a lot of old t-shirts.  Maybe I'll make some dishcloths with the two balls of tshirt yarn I have left... dishcloths are fast and can't really be too disappointing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 18/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 20/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 21/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 2/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 16/29
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...