A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,866
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Hylian Shield Plush in all its Glory!  (Read 5229 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

othersideofthecrash
Very Well Aquainted with the Seam Ripper

On a crafting hiatus due to University... blargh.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2009 06:36:38 PM »

So, I'm home for semester break from University and have been doing lots of crafting (mostly of drawstring bags to keep stuff organized) and lurking on the boards, where I saw Princess Toadstool's Assault Turnips.  Being that I don't play many Mario games involving such turnips (I mainly just play Mario Kart), I decided to make myself something in homage to a video game I love (though also haven't played much of, admittedly, but not due to dislike).  Thus, the Hylian Shield plush/pillow was born!

The Hylian Shield is from the Legend of Zelda series, for those of you who don't know.  It's the shield that Link carries with him.

This is the shield:

The grey shield shape in the only machine-sewn part.  The blue, yellow, and red parts were handsewn onto the stuffed form.  The grey, yellow, and blue are fleece and the red is felt.  The two grey parts on the top are actually cut into the blue.

This is the actual shield (there are many versions, and this is the one I used as a model for my shield pillow):

(from: http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/gc/soulcalibur2/0717/0001.jpg)

Scale:

It's about the size of my torso.

It's nice and thick and cuddly Cheesy

Me being silly:

And this is my sewing buddy:

Her name is Reagan, and she's a 3-year-old rescued labradoodle.  She's always lurking around the sewing room when I'm in it during the day, and while I was handsewing the shield, she actually nudged it out of my lap so she could put her head there for me to scratch!  It was really cute, but she also almost got stabbed with my needle.  She's a card.

Anyway, hope you like it!  I hope I made some gamer's day!  It definitely made my boyfriend's!  Direct quote upon seeing what I was working on: "I love you SO much."   Cheesy

EDIT: Edited to show my shield as the first picture, as opposed to the picture of Link Smiley
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009 10:06:31 PM by othersideofthecrash - Reason: Edited to show my shield as the first picture, as opposed to the picture of Link :) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Next year I'll have room for a sewing machine in my SINGLE ROOM, but this year I share, so I don't.  So all I can do now is wish and plan.  And maybe use my connections to the theatre costume workshop... Cheesy
My Etsy
Zelda.Suicide
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009 06:54:06 PM »

That is awesome and I need it.  For reals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty_cat_529

R.I.P. Socket... I miss you.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009 06:55:26 PM »

That's amazing. I want it. And also your dog. Cutie! seriously, though, great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OmJane
-Tanya [tawn-yuh]

clickity clack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009 07:04:24 PM »

now you NEED a mastersword. awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: Flour and Fleece

"On the contrary, it is you who are crazy to think that you are mighty because you can wound and destroy. That is the task of children. The mighty know how to create and heal."
razziesbaby
If life gives you lemons...throws them bitches back!

what would you do for a Klondite bar???

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009 07:08:34 PM »

one word AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A woman's work is never done!!
missmuffcake

Spicy but sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009 08:44:40 PM »

My boyfriend needs that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
othersideofthecrash

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009 10:21:26 PM »

Thanks everyone!  If you're inspired, it actually wasn't that difficult to construct, the hand sewing was the time-consuming part.  It took a few hours just from the amount of hand sewing.  I drafted a basic pattern first on butcher paper and started with the basic grey shield.  After sewing and stuffing that, I cut out the other pieces and placed them to make sure they were the right size, then started on the hand-sewing.  I started with the blue, then the yellow, and saved the red for last.  I tried to make it as inconspicuous as possible, and I'm really pleased with it Smiley

Thanks for all the positive feedback, and feel free to copy my idea!  Spread the lurve!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Next year I'll have room for a sewing machine in my SINGLE ROOM, but this year I share, so I don't.  So all I can do now is wish and plan.  And maybe use my connections to the theatre costume workshop... Cheesy
My Etsy
othersideofthecrash

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009 10:23:21 PM »

now you NEED a mastersword. awesome.

I think that'll be my project next break.  Or use my connections with the theatre dept. at my school to use the costume workshop sewing machines to make myself a matching sword Cheesy

I have some plans Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009 10:53:00 AM »

Aaaawww! Wanna. Have!
Seriously, this is so great, I admire your designing and sewing skills no end! And the really annoying thing is how easy it would be if I was more patient with sewing... this shield will be haunting me for quite some time now. Thank you very much Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009 10:56:10 AM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zhad_Squad
Jill of all Trades

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009 06:14:21 PM »

This is so cool! Great work! Does it repel foam arrows well? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Beauty Products for Sensitive Skin
Summer Pastels Makeup Tutorial
Summer Corals Makeup Tutorial
Weekend Summer Makeup Tutorial
3 Minute Summer Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...