A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,077
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purplicious Shirt  (Read 2003 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2009 08:01:19 AM »

I guess this is where this goes.  It involves applique, along with other things, but mostly applique.  Ok, a kind of long story.  So, I was in MS visiting my family over the holidays. I decided that I needed to make shirts for my nieces and nephews and first up is a shirt for my niece Sophia. She's 3 and just about the cutest thing ever.  Here's a cute picture of Sophia and my 5 yr old, Sebastian, at the drive in here in TN. This was when my sister and the kids and my mom came to visit this past summer. 

Anyway, Sophia's favorite book is Purplicious. I've never read it because my only girl is 10 and it's way below her age range. Apparently it's about a girl whose favorite color is pink. The girl gets teased by all her classmates because they think pink is for babies and black is the new cool color. The little girl gets all sad and stuff and starts wearing blue all the time until she meets a new friend who's nice and who encourages her to mix pink with blue to make purple. Then the little girl is happy again, I guess. The moral to the story is that kids are sometimes a**holes and you have to do what makes you happy and find friends who will support you in that rather than make you feel like crap. But kid books can't use words like a**hole, so you get a book like Purplicious that deals with a real issue in a cute way that kids can understand. So, I decided to make Sophia a Purplicious shirt. I took a look at the cover:

Rather than creating something loosely based on the cover, I decided (like an idiot) to just try and copy the cover exactly. So I did. Here's the result:

This is mostly machine applique, with a few bits of hand-sewn applique. There are also some parts that I stenciled. The stenciled parts are: the big paintbrush, the palette, the little girl's facial details, the name of the book, and the line underneath that. The machine appliqued parts are: the big purple rectangle, the dress, the individual pockets, the little bow, individual sleeve cuffs, the collar, the face and neck, the arms, the hair, and the beret. If you're thinking that's a lot of pieces, you're freaking right. The hand-sewn appliqued parts are: the two very VERY small paintbrushes, the little wand, the thumb (on the palette), and the fingers (on the big paintbrush). All of the fabrics I used were scraps from old clothes belonging to me and my kids. Luckily, Sophia tends to love everything I make for her. Plus she hardly grows at all, so she'll be able to wear it for a looooong time. Here are a few close ups.

The little girl's face and the lettering:

The big paintbrush that was stenciled on and her really small fingers.

Her small paintbrushes, wand, and little pockets:

I hope she loves it!

P.S.  My machine applique skills are a little shoddy, but some of the pieces were very small and I figure it's for a 3 yr old and she won't notice. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
stylinmommy
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009 08:30:13 AM »

Wow, it looks amazing!!!  I love all the detail work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wonderfulnthebest
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009 08:42:28 AM »

Really good job you did! I'm sure she will love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caine
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009 09:21:46 AM »

It's wonderful! And she will love it, how can she not?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Momma2FIVEgirls

Still creating the ever growing to do list........

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009 09:36:46 AM »

Stunning details! I'm sure she'll love it! Looks fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iciclegirl
Obey the Chuck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009 10:18:44 AM »

I love it! I think it came out great. Also, your description of the book made me laugh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rascalrose
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009 10:59:52 AM »

OMG your book review is hysterical. You should run over and stick it on Amazon.  I love the shirt and the mixture of the applique with the stenciling.  Your niece is a lucky girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009 12:30:10 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments:) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
ThirdMargaret

I'm not happy, I'm cheerful. There's a difference.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009 01:43:00 PM »

Wow!  That was a ton of work, it's great!  The children are cuties!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dlanna
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009 01:52:03 PM »

This is amazing ... I'm am so hitting "this rocks"! She must totally love it! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply New Benefit Stay Flawless 15-Hour Primer
Adam Levine Proactiv+
Sweat-Proof Your Makeup Routine
How to Use and Clean Your Clarisonic Brush the Right Way
5 Ways to Avoid Acne Breakouts in the Summer
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...