A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,174
Currently Running With Scissors:
435 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday - January 9th, 2009  (Read 5050 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OmniSilence
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009 06:06:54 PM »

Wow, dog fur? That looks very vivid! Almost glowing... Hmm...maybe I should try some of my cat's fur - he won't miss it or be able to tell it's gone (persian cat)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WMA
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009 06:07:12 PM »

Once again it's impossible for me to pick a favorite...such beautiful yarns!! They all make me drool! lol

I haven't been spinning much lately Sad I've been spending more time knitting. My post for this week is something I spun just before Christmas but I was inspired to post it by Cottondeer's dog fur skein. Mine isn't really a skein...it's only a couple yards. It's cat fur from a friend's long-haired, black and white, HUGE kitty...his name is Tux and he's a sweetheart Smiley She was combing him with a Furminator (great pet comb...especially if you want the fur for spinning lol) and I wanted to know how it would spin. So I got out my spindle and tada! lol She was amazed that her cat could become yarn lol She's going to start saving her cat fur for me...she has two HUGE black and white cats, brother and sister both about 20 lbs. (they need to go on a kitty diet).

This is Tux...his sister, Edie, is too shy for pictures. They are almost exactly alike except her nose is pink Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009 07:51:32 PM »

I finished spinning some godawful roving that I bought.  It was kind of like spinning polyester fiberfill.  The colors looked pretty terrible in the store, too (bad lighting).  I bought it anyway because it was cheap and full of sparkle.  It ended up pretty cool.  It was full of different colors of Angelina and different colored neps, too.  It ended up with a neat texture and fluffed up nice after a wash and a few good whacks.

the roving

singles

Navajo plied because I don't really like regular plying

I'm thinking of saving this yarn until I can knit well enough to make a hat.

Also, I recently I made my first patchwork yarn.  I dyed the roving with Wiltons.  I got a little overzealous with the rinsing and it got felty, so I had a lot of pre-drafting to do.  One strand was blue, red, purple, and white and the other one was yellow, green, and orange.  In hindsight, I should have put the white in the second strand.  Oh well. Undecided

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
Tero
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009 08:41:49 PM »

Just wanted to drop in here and say that is one of the most beautiful cats I have ever seen. You must understand that I am the proud owner of FOUR of them myself so I am partial to a few. However your friends is just gorgeous.
Are they Norwegian Forest cats? He looks almost just like our only ours is white and red. IF they are Norwegians 20 lbs is a normal size for them. Lots of folks save the fur from them, they have double coats so it is really wonderful for yarn. Looks like you got the hang of it. Folks charge big bucks to spin it up for people. IF you have an etsy shop let me know and I will send you a big ol bag and some cashola for it. Smiley
Much Peace
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
ignorantamoeba

Hazel and Agnes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009 10:41:32 PM »

Just wanted to drop in here and say that is one of the most beautiful cats I have ever seen. You must understand that I am the proud owner of FOUR of them myself so I am partial to a few. However your friends is just gorgeous.
Are they Norwegian Forest cats? He looks almost just like our only ours is white and red. IF they are Norwegians 20 lbs is a normal size for them. Lots of folks save the fur from them, they have double coats so it is really wonderful for yarn. Looks like you got the hang of it. Folks charge big bucks to spin it up for people. IF you have an etsy shop let me know and I will send you a big ol bag and some cashola for it. Smiley
Much Peace

That is really exciting, because we adopted a cat a few months ago that looks EXACTLY like that cat (with less white).  And she's gigantic, too.  Upon further research, I'm pretty sure that she is a Norwegian Forest Cat!  How wonderful!  Now I don't have to worry so much about her being super large.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yberry
A disgrace to the international community of swap organizers.

"Stressed" is "desserts" spelled backwards.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009 12:20:09 AM »

Just wanted to clarify that I dyed skanksore myself - I spiral dyed each ounce separately and then spun a single from each ounce. Of course the spiral dyeing didn't really matter because it was blended so poorly that I ended up just taking fistfuls and redrafting...

I am just loving this Fiber Friday thread, and have been eyeballing my neighbor's pekinese dog for fiber like crazy  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That paper cut is really going to snag on my knitting." - Y. David, Nov. '07
http://yberry.etsy.com
My ATC Gallery
http://yberry.wordpress.com/ - Swap spoilers!
WMA
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009 09:00:36 AM »

Tero - I sent you a PM about spinning your kitties Smiley
knkurz - That silvery bamboo is so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steph blue

good people make stuff

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009 02:58:28 PM »

Hi.  I'm Steph and I frequent the purse making board.  I just got this amazing wheel for Christmas from my husband.  I finally spun some yarn that looks like yarn!  This is my third attempt and I really wanted to share.  I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to post this on Friday. 

Here's my Ashford Kiwi.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

feverdream
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009 03:53:17 PM »

WMA- OMG that kitty yarn is awesome! And the kitty himself looks like he would be so much fun to pet! Is it pure kitty fiber or did you need to blend it with anything? I have a long hair tuxedo cat. I've tried to spin his hair before but its so slippery and the staple is shorter than I'm used to. I'm currently collecting more of his fur so I can try again and maybe blend it with something. My goal is to make enough yarn so I can knit a cat.  Cheesy

Steph blue- Welcome to fiber Friday! I don't post much, but I'm always lurking around here. Your yarn is beautiful for such a new spinner! What kind of fiber is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy shop!
My wists
"the best part about life is knowing that you put it together yourself." -trent reznor
knkurz
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009 05:16:06 PM »

Steph blue--I have a kiwi as well.  It looks like you haven't done anything to the wood yet--I didn't want to varnish mine, either, so I use oils to keep it hydrated.  It's a good idea to put some kind of something on the wood, so that it doesn't crack or anything.

Your yarn looks lovely!  I am also curious as to what the fiber is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add titles in Premiere Pro CS4
How to Make an Animated Emoticon with Adobe Photoshop
How to Outline your Fonts in Illustrator
How to Embed Images into Adobe Illustrator CS
Split Toning in Photoshop - Video Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...