A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,362
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday - January 9th, 2009  (Read 5650 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ignorantamoeba

Hazel and Agnes

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2009 09:57:51 PM »

Well, one of my clocks says its Friday already!

Jude - 187 yds. Merino
2 ply
worsted

Abram - 4 oz. Merino

Cecily - 135 yds. Merino
Bulky/worsted

Augustine - 120 yds. Merino
Bulky/worsed

Aurelia - 4 oz. Merino
I did spin this one up this afternoon, but I didn't get any pictures yet. :-(

This is my first knit project (so far) from my handspun.  Its just a lengthwise garter stitch scarf.

I had the day off and spent approximately 14 hours on fiber. 

As we speak I am dying 3 more sets.  I am kind of having a blast with all of this!

I can't wait to see everyone else's work!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009 03:43:54 AM »

I am TOTALLY LOVE all your yarns.  I especially love cecily.  Me+blue+orange=love Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

geekycraftgrl
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009 07:42:39 AM »

i love the colours you have used.
show us pics of the finished scarf.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ignorantamoeba

Hazel and Agnes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009 09:17:58 AM »

I am TOTALLY LOVE all your yarns.  I especially love cecily.  Me+blue+orange=love Cheesy
Thank you!  That's one of my favorite color combinations too!

i love the colours you have used.
show us pics of the finished scarf.

I definitely will.  I actually ripped it out and added a second yarn to it, so its a little different now.  But still awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009 09:32:28 AM »

With my want to spin and dye more  I kinda went crazy this week.  I would have spun up more, but the silk took m e 6 hours to spin, and I can only spin at night, because my boys like to "help" when I do it during the day Sad  Can't wait for the nice weather and we can hang out in the back yard all day!
This is some silk I bought on etsy, and I spun it up with glass beads.  This picture does it no justice, its much more beautiful than this.  Its over 200 yards, I haven't measured persay, but I attempted to corespin (some of it ended up more plied) with some polyester thread to make it stronger, and I ran out of it before I got to the end of my  fiber and there was 220 yards of thread...  Oh yeah, the twist is not set, do you do the same with silk as you would with wool?

Also some stuff I bought from Wooly treasures on etsy.  It is amazingly even,  and I'm terribly proud of that.  I'm finally getting the hang of it!  about 100 yards

this is some of the above plied and I stuck some lincon locks in it for fun.  Just 10 yards.

My momma, loving me, gave me some bluefaced liecester wool for xmas (that and hand carders <3 <3 <3)  And this is how I dyed it:

and then theres this one.  I give up on greens, I can't get the right green I want with food dye.

and lastly this is a mess, but I figured I'd post it in hopes of a little help in deciding how to dye over the brown:

I dig your yarns,  ignorantamoeba !
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009 09:33:28 AM by Belladune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

yberry
A disgrace to the international community of swap organizers.

"Stressed" is "desserts" spelled backwards.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009 10:24:05 AM »

ignorantamoeba, wow! Your yarns are just gorgeous!

My crop from these past two weeks:
1. Skanksore, named for how much of a pain it was to spin this poorly blended merino tencel. Still, it came out mighty purty so I'm ok with it, 2oz, 114m.

2. Perfect Day, from a gorgeous batt (A Lovely Day Out) from laminathegreat. Loved the single so much I couldn't bear to ply it so I left it as is. 2 oz, 55m.

3. Angel Poop, spun from bargain bin industrial-dyed lambswool. It was languishing in the back of a yarn store, and I do not regret taking it home with me even though I wasn't sure I would be able to do anything with it. 94g, 70m. I think this is going to be my etsy shop's first handspun.

TGIFF!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That paper cut is really going to snag on my knitting." - Y. David, Nov. '07
http://yberry.etsy.com
My ATC Gallery
http://yberry.wordpress.com/ - Swap spoilers!
Cya
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009 10:30:36 AM »

This was supposed to be for the handspun swap but I'm not happy with the result so I'll just consider it as practice. The colors faded a lot when I washed it and the yarn is too itchy for my taste.
I'll try it again with better colors and a softer wool.

I wonder what I'll do with this one.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SensiblyTacky
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009 10:41:53 AM »

I love fiber friday!!!!!!!

I haven't posted in aaaaaaaaaaages, really. I have tons to share, but I've only taken photos of a few. I just got my wisdom teeth removed, so I'll have to downtime to take more pictures Smiley

Summer Salad:

Hand Dyed mill ends from the Sheep Shed Studio
Chunky Bulky Single

Yum!

Natural Gray Corriedale:

Worsted weight
Natural Gray Corriedale

Cotton Candy Kisses:

Hand Dyed (with kool-aid no less!)
Sock - Worsted Weight

And for you yarn photo lovers, I have more photos of the same yarn on my flicker account!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24644960@N03/

-Talia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ignorantamoeba

Hazel and Agnes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009 10:48:16 AM »

Yberry, I think angel poop is very lovely (ha I never imagined I would say that).

Belladune, I LOVE the silk you spun.  Mmmm silk.

Here's what I've got since last night:

No. 014 - Hugo
4 oz. merino, hand painted

No. 015 - Estella
5 oz merino. - 111 yds.
Bulky - somewhat self striping?

No. 012 - Aurelia
3 oz. Merino - 234 yds.
Fingering

No. 016 - Penelope
This is what I am spinning right now!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ignorantamoeba

Hazel and Agnes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009 10:49:52 AM »

Also,
SensiblyTacky, Summer Salad is a perfect name for that yarn.  That is exactly what it reminds me of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009 12:48:15 PM »

here is a better picture of the silk,  then sun decided to come out!

SensiblyTacky, I love your cotton candy kisses.  I can't wait to figure out how to make such lovely yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

casmir

Bobbilicious on ravelry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009 02:09:16 PM »

Everyone's yarns are so beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikolelily
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009 02:22:43 PM »

i can NOT wait to get my hands on some of the fibers you gals spin! ive been using handmedowns! here are my poor offerings, but my best, damnit!
mystery wool hand dyed and spun by me.

pink merino, first fo, a neck warmer i lovelove
WIP wool/angora i think?
and ZOMG, Estella is sooo gorgeous, *grabbyhands* ignorantamoeba, i wanna learn from YOU!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

think for yourself, question authority.
DelightfulyTacky
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009 02:58:22 PM »

A neck warmer???!!!! I have never heard of such a thing. It's sooo cute! I must have one.
...I think I have some knitting needles around here somewhere...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane Doe

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009 03:32:20 PM »

SensiblyTacky - I just adore Summer Salad!
Beautiful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cottondeer
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009 04:11:13 PM »

Pretty, pretty ignorantamoeba! I like the names you've chosen for your yarns; Abram's one of my favorite names. As for your yarn, Cecily is my favorite. I love the yellows and grays together.

Belladune, I love the BFL roving in the blue/purple/yellow combination. That is going to be gorgeous when it's spun up.

yberry, your merino/tencel blend is beautiful! Did you dye that yourself? It looks like silver and gold.

Cya, how much yardage do you have there? When a yarn is too itchy for my liking, I usually make fingerless mitts that can go over gloves. I love the colors, by the way. It's going to look awesome when it's knitted.

SensiblyTacky, I love, love, love Summer Salad! It looks so smooshy and the colors are great. I'd love a hat made out of that yarn; it would be so cheery!

nikolelily, pretty neckwarmer. That's a great shade of pink. Your yarn is so nice and even.

I finished spinning some Samoyed fur that an acquaintance gave to me. I initially has wished she had given me more (I know she has it, but didn't want to overwhelm me with her dog's hair), but I'm glad she only gave me a bit. I do not like spinning dog fur. At least, I didn't like spinning that dog's fur. But, the final product came out nice and here are some pictures. It's 65 yards of fingering:

Looking forward to seeing other Fiber Friday offerings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cottondeer's Etsy
Free Domestic Shipping through March 31!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009 04:12:05 PM »

i can NOT wait to get my hands on some of the fibers you gals spin! ive been using handmedowns! here are my poor offerings, but my best, damnit!

LOL  I spoiled myself with that silk!  I've been using a handme down bag of Romney rovings for the past 3 months before that!

I like the color of your first yarn! It looks juicy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009 04:14:50 PM »

I finished spinning some Samoyed fur that an acquaintance gave to me. I initially has wished she had given me more (I know she has it, but didn't want to overwhelm me with her dog's hair), but I'm glad she only gave me a bit. I do not like spinning dog fur. At least, I didn't like spinning that dog's fur. But, the final product came out nice and here are some pictures. It's 65 yards of fingering:

Looking forward to seeing other Fiber Friday offerings!

gasp! thats dog fur?  It looks so soft! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009 04:22:00 PM »

I love all the yarn, but I love "perfect day" because 1)has some of my fave colors in it and 2)I really need a perfect day. Undecided Roll Eyes Wink Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knkurz
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009 04:47:51 PM »

cottondeer: she can send some of it my way!  Dog hair is one of my two favorite things to spin (silk being the other). 

Here's what I've got going on:

My first successful novelty (it's my favorite yarn ever):

A blurry picture of the bamboo I spun up (but you can see the color, and that's what's most delicious about it!)

And the scarf it's getting knitted in to:

That's all that's new this week Sad

But I'm getting a jumbo flyer sometime next week, and then I'll have lots of experimentation and cool new yarns!!  Also, I've ordered from Sheep Shed Studios, and that should be here soon as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OmniSilence
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009 06:06:54 PM »

Wow, dog fur? That looks very vivid! Almost glowing... Hmm...maybe I should try some of my cat's fur - he won't miss it or be able to tell it's gone (persian cat)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WMA
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009 06:07:12 PM »

Once again it's impossible for me to pick a favorite...such beautiful yarns!! They all make me drool! lol

I haven't been spinning much lately Sad I've been spending more time knitting. My post for this week is something I spun just before Christmas but I was inspired to post it by Cottondeer's dog fur skein. Mine isn't really a skein...it's only a couple yards. It's cat fur from a friend's long-haired, black and white, HUGE kitty...his name is Tux and he's a sweetheart Smiley She was combing him with a Furminator (great pet comb...especially if you want the fur for spinning lol) and I wanted to know how it would spin. So I got out my spindle and tada! lol She was amazed that her cat could become yarn lol She's going to start saving her cat fur for me...she has two HUGE black and white cats, brother and sister both about 20 lbs. (they need to go on a kitty diet).

This is Tux...his sister, Edie, is too shy for pictures. They are almost exactly alike except her nose is pink Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

something_wierd

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009 07:51:32 PM »

I finished spinning some godawful roving that I bought.  It was kind of like spinning polyester fiberfill.  The colors looked pretty terrible in the store, too (bad lighting).  I bought it anyway because it was cheap and full of sparkle.  It ended up pretty cool.  It was full of different colors of Angelina and different colored neps, too.  It ended up with a neat texture and fluffed up nice after a wash and a few good whacks.

the roving

singles

Navajo plied because I don't really like regular plying

I'm thinking of saving this yarn until I can knit well enough to make a hat.

Also, I recently I made my first patchwork yarn.  I dyed the roving with Wiltons.  I got a little overzealous with the rinsing and it got felty, so I had a lot of pre-drafting to do.  One strand was blue, red, purple, and white and the other one was yellow, green, and orange.  In hindsight, I should have put the white in the second strand.  Oh well. Undecided

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
Tero
Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009 08:41:49 PM »

Just wanted to drop in here and say that is one of the most beautiful cats I have ever seen. You must understand that I am the proud owner of FOUR of them myself so I am partial to a few. However your friends is just gorgeous.
Are they Norwegian Forest cats? He looks almost just like our only ours is white and red. IF they are Norwegians 20 lbs is a normal size for them. Lots of folks save the fur from them, they have double coats so it is really wonderful for yarn. Looks like you got the hang of it. Folks charge big bucks to spin it up for people. IF you have an etsy shop let me know and I will send you a big ol bag and some cashola for it. Smiley
Much Peace
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
ignorantamoeba

Hazel and Agnes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009 10:41:32 PM »

Just wanted to drop in here and say that is one of the most beautiful cats I have ever seen. You must understand that I am the proud owner of FOUR of them myself so I am partial to a few. However your friends is just gorgeous.
Are they Norwegian Forest cats? He looks almost just like our only ours is white and red. IF they are Norwegians 20 lbs is a normal size for them. Lots of folks save the fur from them, they have double coats so it is really wonderful for yarn. Looks like you got the hang of it. Folks charge big bucks to spin it up for people. IF you have an etsy shop let me know and I will send you a big ol bag and some cashola for it. Smiley
Much Peace

That is really exciting, because we adopted a cat a few months ago that looks EXACTLY like that cat (with less white).  And she's gigantic, too.  Upon further research, I'm pretty sure that she is a Norwegian Forest Cat!  How wonderful!  Now I don't have to worry so much about her being super large.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yberry
A disgrace to the international community of swap organizers.

"Stressed" is "desserts" spelled backwards.

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009 12:20:09 AM »

Just wanted to clarify that I dyed skanksore myself - I spiral dyed each ounce separately and then spun a single from each ounce. Of course the spiral dyeing didn't really matter because it was blended so poorly that I ended up just taking fistfuls and redrafting...

I am just loving this Fiber Friday thread, and have been eyeballing my neighbor's pekinese dog for fiber like crazy  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That paper cut is really going to snag on my knitting." - Y. David, Nov. '07
http://yberry.etsy.com
My ATC Gallery
http://yberry.wordpress.com/ - Swap spoilers!
WMA
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009 09:00:36 AM »

Tero - I sent you a PM about spinning your kitties Smiley
knkurz - That silvery bamboo is so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steph blue

good people make stuff

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009 02:58:28 PM »

Hi.  I'm Steph and I frequent the purse making board.  I just got this amazing wheel for Christmas from my husband.  I finally spun some yarn that looks like yarn!  This is my third attempt and I really wanted to share.  I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to post this on Friday. 

Here's my Ashford Kiwi.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

feverdream
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009 03:53:17 PM »

WMA- OMG that kitty yarn is awesome! And the kitty himself looks like he would be so much fun to pet! Is it pure kitty fiber or did you need to blend it with anything? I have a long hair tuxedo cat. I've tried to spin his hair before but its so slippery and the staple is shorter than I'm used to. I'm currently collecting more of his fur so I can try again and maybe blend it with something. My goal is to make enough yarn so I can knit a cat.  Cheesy

Steph blue- Welcome to fiber Friday! I don't post much, but I'm always lurking around here. Your yarn is beautiful for such a new spinner! What kind of fiber is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy shop!
My wists
"the best part about life is knowing that you put it together yourself." -trent reznor
knkurz
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009 05:16:06 PM »

Steph blue--I have a kiwi as well.  It looks like you haven't done anything to the wood yet--I didn't want to varnish mine, either, so I use oils to keep it hydrated.  It's a good idea to put some kind of something on the wood, so that it doesn't crack or anything.

Your yarn looks lovely!  I am also curious as to what the fiber is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009 05:38:57 PM »

Feverdream - That's pure kitty fur...right off the kitty! lol It was a little slippery to spin but I was using my CD drop spindle, which is fairly light weight, so I didn't have much trouble spinning it. I just spun what came of the cat in that brushing 'session' (a large-ish handful) to see how it would be to spin. The staple was probably about 2-3 inches or so. Tux is such a sweet cat! He loves to cuddle and loves to be combed! He's so funny...he talks to you when you're combing him! The yarn is definitely fuzzy Smiley I wear the uber-mini skein as a bracelet...it's so very soft! I love that you're going to knit a cat! lol

Steph blue - What a wonderful husband Smiley I love the colors in your yarn! I don't have a wheel yet but a friend of mine, who is an engineer, was looking for a project and thought a wheel would be fun to make. So he's going to make me one! If you show him a picture he can make it...great kind of person to have around Cheesy 
Welcome to Fiber Friday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ffrogg526
Stitches in the Musical Weave

I can do that... I think.

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009 07:02:49 PM »

ignorantamoeba - I love the yarn that you dyed and named Jude.  I think that is beautiful!  And...

sensiblytacky - I also love the yarn you called Summer Salad.  Definetly the perfect name. 

All the yarn looks beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009 07:20:03 PM »

Steph_blue, I'm jealous of you kiwi!  and that yarn is wonderful!  Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eat_agar
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009 07:36:08 PM »

WMA-With the halo that cat yarn looks like crazy awesome mohair. Like mohair wearing mascara! I love it! It makes me want to chase my cats around with a hand card.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009 07:42:47 PM »

WMA-With the halo that cat yarn looks like crazy awesome mohair. Like mohair wearing mascara! I love it! It makes me want to chase my cats around with a hand card.

Run, kitties, run!!

lol  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steph blue

good people make stuff

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009 08:07:58 PM »

Steph blue--I have a kiwi as well.  It looks like you haven't done anything to the wood yet--I didn't want to varnish mine, either, so I use oils to keep it hydrated.  It's a good idea to put some kind of something on the wood, so that it doesn't crack or anything.

Your yarn looks lovely!  I am also curious as to what the fiber is.

I really wish I could keep my wheel unfinished, but I asked the husband and he said we would have to stain it or something. 

The yarn started out as this merino roving I bought off of etsy.
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5903388
This is what it looked like when I bought it.

Tonight I finished spinning this stuff and plied it with itself.  I'll get a pic for you guys later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steph blue

good people make stuff

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009 06:52:03 PM »

all plied and ready to go

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009 07:06:32 PM »

thats gorgeous all done up Steph blue!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Good Black and White Tone
How to Achieve Balance Amongst your Images
How to Crop to Achieve Image Balance
How to Use Negative Spaces in Images
How to Anchor an Image with Scenic Architecture
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...