So, this Sunday, I went nuts and developed 9 rolls of color film. I'm using a C-41 kit from Freestyle, and had mixed up half of it in September. Unfortunately, the color chems go bad really quick once they're exposed to air, so I had to mix up the other half to do my current batch of developing.
Color developing is actually easier than black and white. There are fewer steps, and it goes quicker. The only real challenge is keeping the chems at the proper temp (around 102 degrees). What I did was keep the chems in 500 ml bottles (used Lipton Green Tea bottles, actually) and set those in a small Igloo cooler that I had filled with water, and then put in a cheap ($8) aquarium heater to keep the temps stable. It worked really well.
So, here are some of the results!
These two were shot by my husband using an old Kowa 35mm. I have no idea why my colors turned out all 60s, but I like it:
These were shot in my Excell Pinhole camera (a cheap plastic 35mm camera I got from Goodwill and then converted into a pinhole):
The rest of the pics were shot using 120 film. Well, except for this, which was shot using 220. 220 is the same as 120 film, instead of having a backing paper with frame numbers on it, it is just film. It's designed to work with cameras with an automatic film advance. Those cameras are fancy, and I don't have one, so I tried to use it in an old Ansco box camera with electrical tape covering up the frame window. It didn't exactly work.
I love my big pink dot!
Here's a fairly normal picture - nothing weird going on with this one!
Then I did a bunch of cross processing. Cross processing is when you develop film in chemicals that they're not supposed to be developed in. My chemicals are for the C-41 process, so I shot some slide film that's supposed to be developed in E-6 chems and developed it in C-41.
Those pics were done with the same type of film, E100SW. I just recently scored a batch of new (expired) slide film on eBay, though, so I shot a roll from that batch as a test through my new minty green camera, the Savoy.
I got an entirely different tint to my cross processing that I really like! Plus, the camera takes slightly distorted and vignette-y pictures, which is awesome.
So, anyway, that's all I've got for right now. I'm going to try and develop another few more rolls tomorrow if my chems haven't gone bad already. I've got a bunch of old color film that I need to try to develop (Hi, frabjous!
)- I'm going to run one as a tester, and if that goes bad, I'll just abort and try to develop them in black and white chemistry, which is the recommended way to develop old, old, old film. Wish me luck.