A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: It's too cold outside, I'll make an INFINITY DRESS inside!  (Read 3445 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress , infinity_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pandamayhem
« on: January 07, 2009 05:09:50 PM »

Firstly, thanks to rostitchery for the tutorial (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=104089.0)! There are so many great infinity dresses out here already, I hope mine can live up to standards Smiley

After about 3.5 hours of sewing, mindless pinning, and more sewing, I have a little black (and white) infinity dress for any occasion! I used the skirt pattern from Butterick 4788 because it didn't look as full as a circle skirt. My straps are 96 inches long (they were 100 inches, but I accidently cut off 4 inches off one so I had to do the same to the other haha). Oh, and the best part. $2US fabric!! LOVE~ It was a lot of fun finding ways to wear it, so here are a few (basic) styles I liked!

woohoo bunny censors! It was hard to get back pictures, so this will be the only one Lips sealed

(left) maybe too much skin for me, but still hot. (right) I think it's a cute look, but the straps kept slipping off me..

I really like the cap sleeves in the center! On the right, I pulled the waist band up above the bust, but my self-conscious-ness says the skirt becomes too short. Still cute, nonetheless.

I started with 4.5 yards of fabric, but I have a little over half a yard leftover. I might make a matching tube top or shorts for more options. I definitely need a few more of these, it was a very quick and versatile project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy shop: A Strawberry Inside Cheesy
Alatarial
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009 05:12:21 PM »

So so so CUTE! Seriously! This has to be my favorite infinity dress out there! How did you get the sleeves to look like that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/elenc/

Will personal swap! Please, PM me!
MissTaken

Walter & Perry 4-ever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009 05:23:48 PM »

So so so CUTE! Seriously! This has to be my favorite infinity dress out there!

I agree.  The best I've ever seen.  Beautiful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

julietalpha
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009 06:08:43 PM »

I third those comments!  You've got some beautiful styles there - I wish back shots were easier so we could see how you do it!  Do you have a timer function on your camera?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much to make, so little time!
lindseycore

cat lady till the day i die.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009 06:08:58 PM »

ok this might be the dumbest question ever... but how do you attach the straps?  are they just tied in all of the styles?  that's what i assume, but i can't always tell.

anyway, you did a great job, and i love the pattern.  looks great on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what i have made: flickr
what i am making: ravelry
what i want: wist

i love personal swaps, especially for handspun yarn
SewSweetSuperhugs
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009 06:21:07 PM »

oooh cute i LOVE the last one on the far right!!! =D my FAVOURITE!! =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kawaii, chouette and Superhugs awayyyyy..................
mystico_tala
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009 07:59:21 PM »

LOVE the fabric!  Looks fantastic.  I still haven't made one of those Sad  That'll be a resolution for this year, lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009 04:23:27 PM »

wow--after seeing this, I think this might be the year I make one of these for myself!  Everyone I know wanted one last year, so I made a ton...but this year, I need one for myself!

You have inspired me to search for cute knit fabric like that!  I think it looks great on you and I love how you experimented with the style!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pandamayhem
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009 05:32:03 PM »

Thanks everyone for your kind words Smiley

So so so CUTE! Seriously! This has to be my favorite infinity dress out there! How did you get the sleeves to look like that?

Which sleeves did you mean? If you meant the cap sleeves, I actually found a video on youtube (i.e. teacher for EVERYTHING) demonstrating how to wrap those sleeves - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi4uEeRhBkM&feature=related Tongue She also shows how to wrap several other styles!

I third those comments!  You've got some beautiful styles there - I wish back shots were easier so we could see how you do it!  Do you have a timer function on your camera?

I did use the timer function for most of the pictures, I have no idea why I didn't bother taking pictures of the back either Cheesy

ok this might be the dumbest question ever... but how do you attach the straps?  are they just tied in all of the styles?  that's what i assume, but i can't always tell.

anyway, you did a great job, and i love the pattern.  looks great on you!

It isn't dumb at all, and your assumption was very correct! It's the crazy long straps that allowed me to tie it in INFINITE number of styles! The straps are attached directly to the "waistband" and skirt part.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy shop: A Strawberry Inside Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Next-Level Sexy Hair With This Do-It-All Ingredient
How To Do A Fishtail Braid
4 Styling Tips for Thinning Hair
Does It Work: Air Curler
How to Create Retro Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...