A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
365 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Loaner Machine: A Singer 404  (Read 3754 times)
Tags for this thread: singer  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lunapooka
« on: January 07, 2009 03:28:16 PM »

So, up until this August, my fiance and I lived with his father.  During this time his father picked up a weird hobby: sewing machines.  He started buying them.  Local auctions, mostly...  but also E-bay, classifieds, friends started giving them to him...  It was a little weird.  He took a class on how to repair them and kept on buying.  Soon there were sewing machines everywhere...  the garage, basement, living room, dining room, computer room.  Here a sewing machine, there a sewing machine... 

It was starting to become obnoxious while we were living there.  (whispers...  he bought ANOTHER sewing machine today...  coming home to find cobwebby machines sitting on the kitchen island...  but since we've moved out and I decided I want to learn more about sewing, I realize was a cool resource I have. 

I went over there the other night to pick up a machine.  I didn't need anything fancy and what he had ready, tuned up and available was this Singer 404 he got at an auction for $1.

I used it last night to make my first sewing project in years:

It is far from perfect (my project, not the machine) but the recipients don't mind.  The machine is pretty darn nice.  I have very little experience with other machines, but this guy was easy to work with and nice.  Future-father-in-law is going to look at his inventory and look for something with a zig zag stitch for me.  He has 2 Singer 360's so that might be a possibility.  Who knows, he may find something even better at another auction.  The coolest thing is the machines are free for me to use and if I ever need them serviced- that's free too.  I think I need to get serious about sewing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009 03:30:20 PM by Lunapooka » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I need a house with a craft room!
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009 03:56:30 PM »

You're sure lucky to have such a low-cost and handly sewing machine resource in the family!

I really like the 404 and the other 400 series slant-o-matics (401, 403, and a few others that aren't so common in my neck of the woods).

If you wold like to see some of the attachmenst and feet at work or if you need a free manual, you might like to read my sewing machine review of the Singer 401, 403 and 404:
Singer 401, 401A, 403 & 403A, & 404 Sewing Machine Review

BTW, rats are THE best pockets pets IMHO. - just wished they lived longer.  Your little buddy sure looks cute in its snuggle bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Lunapooka
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009 04:02:40 PM »

Thanks so much for the link.  The manual will come in handy.

Rats are so awesome!  This is my second set, I have 3 girls, all sisters.  My first rat lived for 3 1/2 years!  I am always recommended them to people as pets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I need a house with a craft room!
JerseyGal
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009 12:33:14 PM »

I have just inherited a totally working Singer 404 in its case from my sister-in-law who has gone into Assisted Living.  And I discovered "Sew-Classic" when doing my research on what I had.  Great site, Sew-Classic!!  Thanks!  This machine is so basic and light that I think I will use it for a "pick-up-and-go" machine if I have to work somewhere outside of my place.  Came with one foot and a Singer buttonholer (the "torpedo shape" one) that looks like new.  Never had a slant needle machine before.
My other Singer is a 418 that had to get a new plastic gear (bane of all owners of that group of machines) and a new bobbin winder wheel.  My hubby is good at keeping my machines going.  And my "iron horse" of a machine is a 1969 Montgomery Ward Signature that has sewn for miles and miles (how come they can't put odometers on our machines so we can boast how many miles we've sewn on them???).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating an Entirely Different Kind of Panorama with Photoshop
How to Create an Animated GIF Using Photoshop
Before and After: Outdoor Portrait
How to Spot a Retouched Photo
How to Draw a Cockroach
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...