A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 315,682
Currently Running With Scissors:
329 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vanity lighted mirror.....Vintage Dressing room  (Read 32774 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anafelix
« on: January 07, 2009 02:12:27 PM »

I've been looking for a lighted mirror for quite some time and I can't seem to find anything. I want one that looks like a backstage dressing room mirror, something with a very vintage hollywood feel. I could only find one photo of what I'm talking about, and unfortunately I forgot about the craftster rule about direct linking to photos. So sorry bout that, but here's what I'm talking about:

I don't have a lot of money to spend on it, I think at absolute most I could spend 125 dollars. I've searched theatre supply websites and all sorts of things, so I need your help. If all else fails I could get a large rectangle mirror and buy 3 separate mirrored vanity lights, but there's only one light hookup in my bathroom, so is it incredibly hard to split electricity for three lights, or is what I'm talking about a horribly terribly dangerous idea?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheAmarant

I am. I am. I am.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009 03:41:55 PM »

What if you bought a large rectangle mirror, painted it white, and bought a string of these globe lights:
http://www.nextag.com/string-lights/search-html 
there are just a few examples there, but I'm sure you could find more options.

You could drill holes along the wooden frame of the mirror, and find some way to detach the "globes" from the lights, slip the lights through the holes, and reattach the globe, so that the string was hidden on the backside of the mirror. 

I hope that made scene and could be of some help!  good luck!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009 08:04:00 PM by hybercon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/RiverLikeARoad
Specializing in vintage clothing, shoes, and curious ephemera for your adoration.
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009 05:53:27 PM »

If all else fails I could get a large rectangle mirror and buy 3 separate mirrored vanity lights, but there's only one light hookup in my bathroom, so is it incredibly hard to split electricity for three lights, or is what I'm talking about a horribly terribly dangerous idea?

Great idea, and not horribly terribly dangerous. (Turn off the main power before you tackle this, though!) Any basic wiring book will take your through it. It's not even horribly terribly difficult.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
anafelix
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009 06:59:41 PM »

OOh Thanks for your help! I think I'm going to have to split the power to three lights. I like the idea of the globe lights but the green wire won't look right in my bathroom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Twist on a Classic: 3 Ways to Tie a Scarf
Get the Look: 3 Ways to Wear a Midi Skirt
How the Color of Your Outfit Will Manifest Your Mood
What to Wear for a Girls Night Out
How to Wear Tights and Thigh Highs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...