A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,821
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheap/Easy Wall Art - Framed Ribbon Weavings (or What I did Last Night)  (Read 6696 times)
Tags for this thread: art , wall_art , ribbon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 07, 2009 10:11:44 AM »

Hi Guys,
Since I finally got myself a new craft table in December, I've been working on setting up my craft space in a pretty AND functional manner.  Two nights ago I started hanging things on the walls over my table as inspiration.... this led me to hanging prints that have been sitting in my basement since we moved in (in August) around the rest of my house.  I have a lot of prints, some I've bought, some people have given me, and while I like them all for different reasons, most of them don't *feel* right for our strange little house, or maybe it's that they don't feel like *me* anymore.  So last night I decided I needed to come up with some home dec solutions... 

I spent a while on the web trying to be inspired; looking at fabric and curtains and random wall art from places like Target, Ikea, and World Market, but nothing was quite right either.  I ended up pulling out random scraps of paper, ribbon, and trim, and came up with these.  They are sort of a take on ribbon weaving, some with more "weaving" than others.  Basically I just took strips of ribbon or trim, laid them out in an order I liked, and wrapped them around cardboard, using tape to secure the ends.  After I covered the boards in one direction, I went back with a few strands in the opposite direction to break up the lines.  The frames were all ones I had laying around, so the projects cost me nothing. 

First one I did.  A small 5" x 7" piece in shades of emerald, olive, sage, and forest green. Made of grosgrain, woven, and satin ribbon.

A large 11" x 15" piece, in shades of burgundy, red, rust, tan, gold, and sage. Made of grosgrain and satin ribbon, crochet lace, woven metallic trim, and bias tape.

Another small 5" x 7" piece in shades of rose, tan, mauve, olive, and cream. Made from grosgrain, woven, and satin ribbon, crochet lace, and woven trim.

The small green one is now in a *TINY* space in my hall, between two doors, and the large red one is in my living room.  Don't know what I'm going to do with the small rose/cream one yet... 

I jumped on the mustache train! CHOO CHOO!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009 10:29:21 AM »

I love this idea.  I especially love your red one.  I have been trying to come up with a gift idea for a friend...her birthday is coming up....I think I will give this a try and see what I can come up with!  Thanks for the great idea.  Cheesy

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009 10:43:00 AM »

those look wonderful, specially the green one, what a brilliant idea too

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009 11:33:52 AM »

They're all pretty, and very creative, but the red and gold one is absolutely stunning!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009 12:37:45 PM »

They seem really sophisticated for being "just ribbons" and such. good job!

chocolate teapot
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009 01:40:47 PM »

I really like the green & gold one

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009 04:31:09 PM »

Awesome! Genius! I love em, they are very interesting to look at. 

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary". --Mary  Kurtz,  "The Needlework Times" April, 1978.

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009 08:38:35 AM »

I like these!  I'm always looking for interesting art ideas since I'm not a painter myself.  Smiley

I am collecting cotton Hawaiian fabric scraps for a quilt if you wanted to send any my way!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009 04:47:19 PM »

Thank you so much for posting this. I just bought a huge bag of wonderful vintage ribbon at a thrift store yesterday and now I know what I am going to do with it!
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009 07:03:05 AM »

Oooooooooh I loves them! So very pretty!!!!! Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Laugharne Festival Celebrates Dylan Thomas
Interview With Robin Ince at Laugharne Festival 2012
Interview With Simon Armitage at Laugharne Festival 2012
Interview With Simon Day at Laugharne Festival 2012
Blair Underwood on South by Southeast
Latest Blog Articles
The Legacy of Bob Ross
Meatless Monday: Spinach Feta Breakfast Quiche
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Asymmetric Cowl

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...