A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cat Toys!!  (Read 3531 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hamiltontankgirl
« on: January 06, 2009 09:35:33 PM »

I've only been crocheting since just before christmas (I'm an old school knitter) and have been going crazy making amigurumi from the Creepy Cute Crochet book. But that means I've been following a pattern pretty religiously and I wanted to do something wholey my own....

Angelus (my evil kitty >'.'<) was given a bag of 6 plastic cage-like cat toys with little bells inside for christmas from a friend and I know how noisy those things can be across hardwood floors. So I thought I'd cover them with some left over pieces of yarn to silence the plastic/bell sound the toy makes...

After making a few, I thought I'd get creative and make an apple. I think they turned out pretty good! And I freehanded all of them!! Hooray for breaking out of the pattern mold!  Grin

I welcome all comments/critiques..

EDIT - as requested, below is the pattern:

I used a G (4.0) hook and started with a magic circle that contained 5 sc, you can get info on how to do a magic circle here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuSVyKvoUg

2nd row: Sl st to close the previous round. [2 sc in each sc] Repeat. {10 sc}
3rd row: [1 sc in first sc, 2 sc in next sc] Repeat.{15 sc - I think  Undecided it's not that important that it's exact}
4th row etc: Keep increasing in this manner until you think it's wide enough to fit around your ball of choice.
Once it's wide enough, keep doing sc all around until you can fit the ball inside and you have enough rows to reach where the ball starts to curve away from the fat part of the ball. Now you need to do decreasing stitches.
Next row: [sc, dec] Repeat.
Remaining Rows: Keep decreasing in this manner for a row or two more, then you want to dec every time to get it smaller . The last few rows right at the top I do sl sts so it isn't too bulky.
Finish by fastening off nicely and stuffing the loose yarn end into the ball.

Note: One mistake I made on the first few balls was to decrease too quickly. My thoughts were if I decreased earlier then the yarn will be nice and tight around the ball. Mistake is, the ball starts to show through and doesn't look nice. After making a couple you'll figure out what works best.

Terms
sl st - slip stitch
sc - single crochet
dec - decrease

*This is my first time writing instructions for something.  If you have any questions or I've explained anything wrong, please let me know and I'll try to help  Grin*

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009 02:27:56 PM by hamiltontankgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make cool stuff and do cool things, too bad I'm not cool...
nykole6412

i wish i was on southpark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009 10:53:19 PM »

they look great!!!! Smiley  im gonna have to try that Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
le_coiffeur04
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009 07:45:00 AM »

Your Awesome! Those bells are kinda loud espically at 3 in the morning when our cat gets crazy. I'm gonna try it.  Love em!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ffrogg526
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Stitches in the Musical Weave

I can do that... I think.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009 08:14:01 AM »

Those look wonderful.  I'm definetly going to have to try making some.  Good job!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joujoudoll
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009 07:38:01 PM »

That's awesome... Those look pretty good for making hacky sacks too... Smiley

Do you think you could explain to me how you made it? I've been crocheting for 3 years, but I am not creative enough to create something on my own... Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog!

Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart, and the senses.
hamiltontankgirl
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009 08:23:37 PM »

Sure JouJouDoll.  Smiley

I used a G (4.0) hook and started with a magic circle that contained 5 sc, you can get info on how to do a magic circle here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuSVyKvoUg

2nd row: Sl st to close the previous round. [2 sc in each sc] Repeat. {10 sc}
3rd row: [1 sc in first sc, 2 sc in next sc] Repeat.{15 sc - I think  Undecided it's not that important that it's exact}
4th row etc: Keep increasing in this manner until you think it's wide enough to fit around your ball of choice.
Once it's wide enough, keep doing sc all around until you can fit the ball inside and you have enough rows to reach where the ball starts to curve away from the fat part of the ball. Now you need to do decreasing stitches.
Next row: [sc, dec] Repeat.
Remaining Rows: Keep decreasing in this manner for a row or two more, then you want to dec every time to get it smaller . The last few rows right at the top I do sl sts so it isn't too bulky.
Finish by fastening off nicely and stuffing the loose yarn end into the ball.

Note: One mistake I made on the first few balls was to decrease too quickly. My thoughts were if I decreased earlier then the yarn will be nice and tight around the ball. Mistake is, the ball starts to show through and doesn't look nice. After making a couple you'll figure out what works best.

Terms
sl st - slip stitch
sc - single crochet
dec - decrease

*This is my first time writing instructions for something.  If you have any questions or I've explained anything wrong, please let me know and I'll try to help  Grin*
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009 02:25:25 PM by hamiltontankgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make cool stuff and do cool things, too bad I'm not cool...
Tracey75
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013 10:12:57 PM »

I and my kitten Toshiro thank you. I will put things on top, so he can fetch them, like the apple stem and leaves, or frills or cat ears or something. He loves to fetch. Thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmarion3
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013 12:41:52 PM »

I've done dozens of balls stuffed with catnip, but never thought to cover those pesky bell balls. Does it muffle the bell too? Love 'em and I bet those kitties go crazy.

Here's a post of more cat toys. All are free hand, once you figure out the ball, the rest is just gravy!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=426047.0#axzz2dCTMKWTe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
MWinchester
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013 06:31:48 PM »

Very neat idea. I have hooked similar balls and stuffed with polyfill I had let sit in a cat nip bag and some cat nip. Our siamese crazies love them...I will have to try some with the plastic ball inside now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sour Cream Waffle Recipe
Cheese-Stuffed Doritos Recipe
Jacques Pepin’s Easy Mayo Recipe
How to Make a Bacon and Mozzarella Omelete
How to Make Apple Pancakes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...