A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
798 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: thrift stores near DC metro area  (Read 21509 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ptowngurl
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006 10:44:18 AM »

There are some awesome thrifts in Laurel MD - there is a Village thrift on 198 just beyond the intersection of 197 in Laurel, on 450 in Lanham there is a Value village.  There is a Value Village in suitland across from Andrews airforce base. There is also a Value Village in Clinton off of Branch Ave.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

speak only good things of people and you shall never have to whisper
TheThriftShopper.Com
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006 05:59:11 PM »

I have a national directory of charity thrift shops that I hope you'll find useful.

http://www.TheThriftShopper.Com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't forget to look in your local thrift stores for your crafting supplies. Please check out my national directory of thrift stores at www.TheThriftShopper.Com for your shopping convenience.
kristenp
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007 11:39:33 AM »

My favorite thrift stores in Northern Virginia are:

Yesterday's Rose on Main Street (9960 main street in Fairfax): I have found so many great clothes here, tons of furniture, suitcases... I make sure I go every time I visit my parents.  I have been going there since I was 12 or so Smiley  Also they have special deals: Thrifty Tuesday and Thrifty Thursday... one day is 50% all clothes, one is 50% off housewares and the like

Salvation Army (6528 Little River Turnpike in Alexandria): I have found lots of great clothes here, but more importantly, I got some of my favorite vintage shoes are from here!  I wear a 10, but I still manage to walk away with at least a pair each time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

superchloe
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007 02:48:48 PM »

My favorite thrift stores in Northern Virginia are:

Yesterday's Rose on Main Street (9960 main street in Fairfax): I have found so many great clothes here, tons of furniture, suitcases... I make sure I go every time I visit my parents.  I have been going there since I was 12 or so Smiley  Also they have special deals: Thrifty Tuesday and Thrifty Thursday... one day is 50% all clothes, one is 50% off housewares and the like

Salvation Army (6528 Little River Turnpike in Alexandria): I have found lots of great clothes here, but more importantly, I got some of my favorite vintage shoes are from here!  I wear a 10, but I still manage to walk away with at least a pair each time.

I think Yesterday's Rose does half off clothes on mondays.
Smiley Leave it to craftsters to go to a thrift store to buy things when they're half off. I'll be talking to a friend and tell them its half off clothes at the thrift store, and they all think I'm cheap, haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ybunnygurl
Party Hard!

At da RAVE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008 07:05:13 AM »

A little known of thrift shop in Alexandria is located in the church of St. Clement Basement, A lot of people from the church donate Designer stuff and its real cheap.
it open Saturday mornings, and some Fridays, but if you call the church office at  (703) 998-6166, some one will gladly give you the hours it open.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsoriah

In character at all times

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008 07:45:05 PM »

I recently read an article in a university paper about thrifting and found the following recommendations (granted, it was Georgetown's paper, so they might be more expensive than I imagine, but the author seemed down-to-earth?)

Adams Morgan:
Junction Vintage (on U St.), Meeps (already mentioned), and Smash!Records

Georgia Avenue:
L&N Thrift (supposedly a little cluttered), and Georgia Ave. Thrift Store (highly recommended in the article for an assortment of items and cheap prices)

M St: Annie Cream Cheese  (This is the only one I've been to. It's more vintage than thrift, if you ask me.  Not specifically cheap but neat stuff.)

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, accessories, disguises, animals, riding my bike, pen pals, and the Lone Star State.
Retrolola
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008 06:06:44 PM »

Snoopenda, yes, the Mustard Seed is right off the Bethesda metro stop. Once you exit the station (through the elevator, not escalator), you turn right, walk a block, and the store is on your left. They have a really awesome selection of second hand clothing and shoes, and it's super cheap, like $6 or $7 for a really cute top. They have men's clothes, too, though not nearly as much as the women's selection of course. They also have a rack or two of vintage stuff--mostly old housedresses and bright summer dresses. Last but not least they have local designers jewelry and newer clothing (which can be pricey, but very cute, too).

And if you're looking to sell back some clothes, be warned. They only take clothes in exceptional condition. One tiny hole, stain, or fade and they'll throw it back at you. Also, since the clothes are so cheap, you get no more than $5 per item you sell (at most, in my experience). But overall, the place is great and you can do some serious shopping for only $50.

And my ultimate recommendation would be the Georgia Ave Thrift Store on....Georgia Ave, about 2 or 3 miles north of Columbia Heights. I forget which bus goes there, but it will drop you off right in front of the place. HUGE selection of clothing, books, homes stuff, etc. Also, they sell bundles of scrap fabric for $1 or $2 a pop. It's heaven for crafters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Consignment Store
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009 11:41:28 AM »

Being a Marlyander and working off of 16th and L I know the frustration of sometimes not knowing where the closest consignment, re-sale/thrift shops are so I put together a directory for all of us and have an iPhone application coming soon for you savvy shoppers.

http://www.garagesalestracker.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Consignment Store
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2009 11:44:23 AM »

http://www.garagesalestracker.com/store-search.asp?lc=sb_lnk#
Being a Marlyander and working off of 16th and L I know the frustration of sometimes not knowing where the closest consignment, re-sale/thrift shops are so I put together a directory for all of us and have an iPhone application coming soon for you savvy shoppers.

http://www.garagesalestracker.com
http://www.garagesalestracker.com/store-search.asp?lc=sb_lnk#
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Trend On Trial: How To Do 70s Glam Makeup
Trend on Trial: How to Do Glitter Eyeliner
Trend on Trial: Metallic Copper Eye Makeup Tutorial
Autumn Makeup Tutorial Using Just 5 Products
A Makeup Routine to Conceal Redness and Highlight Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...