A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: thrift stores near DC metro area  (Read 21238 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hobijack
« on: September 19, 2003 08:34:31 PM »

Thought I might post a couple of my fave thrift stores near the DC metro area and accessible via metro.

-Deja New Thrift Store (near Bethesda metro station): clothes selection not that great but I've found several planters and kitchen stuff

-Prevention of Blindness Thrift Store (near King Street metro in Alexandria, VA): great overall selection

Cheers,
hobijack
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snoopendous
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003 07:12:56 AM »

Thanks! Isn't there also a second hand clothes store in Bethesda called Mustard Seed or something like that??  There is also a second hand consignment shop in Dupont called Secondi which is not all that cheap but I have found a few things there anyway.  But really it is somewhat expensive, and I have found things at the Ann Taylor loft store further down the street on sale at a better price than at Secondi.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snoopendous
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2003 04:13:56 PM »

There is advertised a big rummage sale on Connecticut avenue at this Church that is in between the Dupont Circle and woodley metros -- across the street from where the Washington Sports club and the Bucca Di Beppo restaurant is, if you know Connecticut ave.  The rummage sale is I believe on October 25.  I don't belong to the church but I attended the rummage sale last year.  They basically had these huge piles and piles of clothes stacked on top of one another -- indeed it was a true "rummage sale" but the clothes were really cheap -- like $2 per skirt or shirt, and with a bit of ingenuity the clothes, many of which were a bit old, would look nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lorie
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004 04:59:53 AM »

There's also a Goodwill on Duke Street in Alexandria, it's on the west side of the freeway (At least, I think it's west- just go the opposite way of going to oldtown). I've found good-priced antique furniture there, and there's lots of neat old stuff behind a counter you can't get to (dammit!)

Lorie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.
snoopendous
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004 04:20:51 AM »

there is also either a goodwill or salvation army on Glebe Road in Arlington, although I have never gone in there to shop - just dropped stuff off there.  there are some thrift type stores selling used furniture on 14th street, kind of across the street from the Home Rule store, although I think that these stores are more expensive than they should be.  probably cheaper to drive or walk around and hope to find stuff that people are throwing out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
denis
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004 04:50:31 PM »

hi my name is denis trying to find some help  for buying women close my size large you now
THIS ROCKS   Logged
huzzah

Hiding in an Oreo factory? Could be!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004 03:42:29 PM »

My favorite thrift store in the area is Value Village in Langley Park -- it's HUGE, very cheap, and always has something good (clothes, home decoration stuff, boxes, bedding, books, games...).  It's not easy to get to by Metro, but it's easy with a car -- it's just on 193 between Riggs Road and the university.  There's also a medium-sized Salvation Army near there, on New Hampshire Ave. just south of the 193/NH Ave. intersection.  

My favorite secondhand store is Glad Rags in Takoma Park (Carroll Ave. and Ethan Allen Ave.), but it isn't particularly cheap.  However, they have great stuff, and they sell crafty jewelry -- Jody might be amenable to taking work on consignment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lexscreations
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2004 05:13:30 AM »

Just to add...there's a small but really nice thrift store in Arlington, in the Westover neighborhood (on the border of Arlington and Falls Church) on Washington Blvd.  I can't remember the name of it, but it is near Lebanese Taverna and a bunch of other stores.  Got some great clothing and a few other things there the other day for a really low price!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dirtbomb
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2004 06:31:45 PM »

There are a couple more vintage style thrift stores in Tacoma Park walking distance from the metro. Polly Sue's (I think that the name) is my favorite, on Carrol Ave a few doors down from the bead store. I want to through a costume party every time I go in there just so I have a reason to by a pretty dress. My husband found a complete pink suit there with a frilly pink shirt and everything to wear to a prom party.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flossie
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004 02:55:52 PM »

Thanks! Isn't there also a second hand clothes store in Bethesda called Mustard Seed or something like that??  There is also a second hand consignment shop in Dupont called Secondi which is not all that cheap but I have found a few things there anyway.  But really it is somewhat expensive, and I have found things at the Ann Taylor loft store further down the street on sale at a better price than at Secondi. 
Yeah, Mustard Seed is in Bethesda; it's really close to the metro station. It's not really a thrift store though--they are really picky about what kinds of clothes they sell--they have to be fashionable, etc. It's not that cheap either. A tee-shirt might cost $5-8. They also sell thrift shop clothes with jacked up prices. Tongue  Half of the store is devoted to new clothes also.  I like Deja New, I've found some nice stuff there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 12/12
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 2/12
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 3/12
How to Knit with Knitting Needles Part 3/4
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 9/35
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...