A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a convertible bag like the miche?  (Read 12081 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hardyjenni
« on: January 06, 2009 05:37:34 AM »

Has anyone thought about or tried to make something like this? https://www.4miche.com/ver11/index.asp.  If so, how did/would you make the shells stiff?  Fabric stiffener?  Plastic canvas?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I try to be crafty in the kitchen! Visit my budget cooking page!

http://tinyurl.com/STLmeals
celticchrys
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009 06:03:11 PM »

Interesting idea.  Like a bag that you can "skin."  I had never seen this before until your link.  I guess that you could make a bag with a simple shape like that, and then make a flat panel that would wrap around the outside and attach via velcro or snaps to the outside of the bag?  I think the trick would be to have it lie smooth.  I say, go ahead and give it a go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AidanNia
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009 02:10:42 PM »

I just saw a commercial for this and the first thing I thought was, "Hmm, let's jump on Craftster and see if anyone has come up with a good way to DIY!"

This bag is what I have been wishing for my whole life--I hate to change purses! But I kept thinking that you should be able to take the inside out--it is a much better idea to just take the outside off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wtpdesigns
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009 06:36:18 AM »

buy cheap aluminum flashing and magnets... it'll hold better and be more seamless, velcro would make a gap and you'd see lint collected in it and such, and if the snaps fail you'd have a heck of a time fixin it and who wants to keep fixin what they make! anyway, pressed mat board or plastic canvas would work, the mat board would be sturdier and would make it an easy no sew kinda project, but i imagine the canvas would be easier to sew and it would have some givefor bulges and such... hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
jenn1519
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009 03:18:50 PM »

I have this bag!  I love it!  I bought one shell that had no buckles or decorations on it and I've sewn numerous fabric shells to slide over it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wtpdesigns
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009 05:50:55 PM »

i'm actually in the process of designing a bag much like this, mostly because i can't justify spending 70, 80, 90+ bucks for any purse... my likes change from day to day... one day i feel like red, the next 5 days purple, a month after that it's black, etc, but i love the idea of not changing purses and knowing where everything is... mine will be about the same dimensions, just with more pockets on the inside... i'll post pix if anyone wants... it may take time since i have to gather some supplies and test things that work best, one thing i can promise, no magnetic closures lol i hate them on purses... also, they are way more expensive than i like... i also probably wont have any feet on mine, it may, but probably not... any sugestions i should think about?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
Feywalker
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009 01:50:29 PM »

I'd say if you're going to do feet, try upolstry tacks, I've heard they work well.  For the whole magnetic thing, walmart carries some small very powerful ones back in their craft section and they're like $2 - $3 for four and fairly flat.  then you could just put a metal strip in the top of the shells (no lining up perfectly needed) or use a sheetmetal base. Mat board wouldn't be waterproof, but would be firm.  Plastic canvas isn't too firm, but if the sides of the base are firm, it should work.  hmmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can make that...
shellim4
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009 07:06:40 PM »

i'm actually in the process of designing a bag much like this, mostly because i can't justify spending 70, 80, 90+ bucks for any purse... my likes change from day to day... one day i feel like red, the next 5 days purple, a month after that it's black, etc, but i love the idea of not changing purses and knowing where everything is... mine will be about the same dimensions, just with more pockets on the inside... i'll post pix if anyone wants... it may take time since i have to gather some supplies and test things that work best, one thing i can promise, no magnetic closures lol i hate them on purses... also, they are way more expensive than i like... i also probably wont have any feet on mine, it may, but probably not... any sugestions i should think about?

I would love to see your pics!!! Please post them!
Shelli
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cool grandma
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010 08:04:38 AM »

Shelli, Did you ever finish the purse and the skin?  I am very interested in seeing the finished product and to know how you did it!!! Or, can we make our own skins for the miche bag?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shellim4
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010 10:09:06 AM »

Shelli, Did you ever finish the purse and the skin?  I am very interested in seeing the finished product and to know how you did it!!! Or, can we make our own skins for the miche bag?

That was actually wtpdesigns that was working on one of these. I just posted that I would love to her pictures. Hope she's still around. I'd still be interested in this.
Shelli
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sex on the Beach Poptails
How to Make Pina Colada Poptails
How to Make Raspberries and Cream Popsicles
How to Make Cookies and Cream Popsicles
How to Make Mint Julep Poptails
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...