A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,224
Currently Running With Scissors:
392 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I tie everything together - products, services, website, blog, portfolio?  (Read 560 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

antigone
« on: January 06, 2009 03:33:07 AM »

I'm about to start my own full-time business doing what I truly love for a living but there are a few things I haven't decided on yet.

My business consists of two parts: working as a writer and language consultant (proofreader, translator) and selling things I make / design such as art, prints, notebooks and jewellery.

My blog is at www.afiori.blogspot.com and I also own the domain afiori.com which currently links directly to my blog. I'm planning to open an Etsy store shortly but I would also like to have a portfolio of some kind and a page about the services I offer. Also, I need to write in at least two languages - English and Swedish.

Do you have any advice on how to structure a website? Is it too weird to combine everything - although it's me and what I do - into one site? Do I even need a website or can I squeeze more things into my blog?
A website would have to be something like this: main page, blog, shop, about me, writings, portfolio and something about my work as an editor, language consultant etc. Any input would be great.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009 03:49:49 AM by antigone » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009 05:05:12 AM »

If the purpose of your website isn't to sell your product but rather direct people to Etsy or some other venue for ordering, I don't think having everything on one site is going to be overly complicated.

Clearly if you have a site dedicated to one thing it's more focused for search engines and directories (in many directories you can choose basically one category, though some will allow more), but I also have a wide range of stuff on my own website and have built up a good flow of traffic over the years anyway.

It would be better for a site that allows sub-menus so you can better section off all your different stuff for the future. Can't advise you on the language thing, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

antigone
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009 09:09:30 AM »

Thanks for your reply - a site with sub menues is probably the way to go. I don't want to have two or three different websites; I'm just hoping it won't seem too messy or scattered.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009 12:16:24 PM »

For the language thing, you might want to consider what most websites do here in Canada: Have a splash page where you choose a language.  Ours usually say "English" or "Francais" sometimes with a pretty picture. ^_^

I've noticed that the urls for the English side of these websites usually have "en" somewhere in them.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

antigone
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009 02:06:36 AM »

Thanks Smiley I think I'll try to draw everything on paper before I start to build anything...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Georgia_S
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009 08:34:43 PM »

Hi antigone,

Because your two topics are unrelated, I would advise to create two separate websites for each. Else you get the search engines confused. They will be asking 'now what is this website about?' with the consequence that they won't list your pages high up on the search results.

You also confuse readers with the consequence that your message gets diluted.

Two tie them both together, On each website have an 'About Us' page and mention that you also have another website which is about....

Hope this helps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Many Free Craft Patterns to choose from

Get a link back to  Your craft Stores
antigone
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009 02:19:50 AM »

Georgia S : thank you for your input!! I suppose I could have a separate website for the "technical" part of working as a proofreader / language consultant. I did not think about how search engines would rate my site etc.

The thing that crosses over would be publishing books... If I self-publish I want to sell that book along with the other things I create; if it evolves and I start to work as a publisher / editor (I've done editing before) that will require its own site... *sigh*

For now - one "creative" site with link to Etsy shop, one "technical" site with my CV etc, links to my blog (about everything I do) from both?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Georgia_S
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009 03:58:46 AM »

Hi Antigone,

The general feeling that I'm getting from your posts is that you are starting to stress out? Take a deep breath and relax. You don't have to do everything all at once.

Concentrate on one thing first. Which will bring you money faster? The consulting business or your craft business?

Pick on. Focus on that. Build content, get links, get your pages on the search engines, start making money and getting experience as you do all this.

The most difficult part is building that first website. Then with your experience, the second website will be soooo much easier. Plus you will know exactly what you want to do and how to do it.

If you have traffic coming into your blog, then direct that traffic to your new website. Create a buzz about your new website from your blog. Then when that website is making you a least $1000 a month, only then consider starting your second website.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Many Free Craft Patterns to choose from

Get a link back to  Your craft Stores
antigone
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009 03:21:09 PM »

Yes, I really am starting to stress out. Totally. "You don't have to do everything all at once" - that ought to be my new mantra. I need to get it into my brain and I will try to pick one thing to start with, I even know what. Thanks for trying to calm me down  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo
Sunny Anderson’s Bottom-of-the-Tortilla Bag Recipes
How to Make Italian Sausage Hoagies
Ham Sandwich Recipe
PB&J Bagel Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...