A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,457
Currently Running With Scissors:
324 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resin Knitting Needles - and Tutorial! [[Updated info for the larger needles!]]  (Read 107528 times)
Tags for this thread: drinking_straw , gifts_for_knitters , tutorial , resin , knitting_needle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Craftsomnia
« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2009 07:01:22 PM »

Hey!.. Love the needles by the way!.. If only I could knit!.. one day.. one day - I use the EasyCast resin.. my experience.. it is very touchy.. you either get it right on and you will know when you've mixed it right b/c it will not bend and it will be rock hard - I find that if i dont take the time and rush it.. with the measuring and mixing i always get a piece that is still bendy.. very frustrating!.. I like to mix it in one cup.. i normally use the paper bathroom cups.. and pre measure on the side how far up to fill each part to - havent gotten ahold of disposable measuring cups - and if the system isnt broken.. why fix it right?.. I find that if i mix them in separate cups mix, transfer, mix - ahh its just not for me, always still seems to give me the pliable pieces.. and after waiting a day for them to cure.. I want them to be right!.. but i know what everyone means about them being bendy, warming up, leaving indentations - finger prints - b/c they do if they're just not mixed/measured correctly - so dont give up!.. just my 2c.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2009 08:21:51 AM »

this is what I'm referring to, and why I'm saying it could be normal for it to bend when warm, from the section surface care, straight from the manufacturer. It's made to flex, and also to be flat, not in long thin tubes...

http://www.eti-usa.com/consum/envtex/envinstr.htm

"Surface Care.
Furniture polish will prolong the life of the surface and clean smudges, etc. If scratches occur that cannot be polished out, clean with acetone, then recoat with Envirotex Lite. This additional coat will remove all surface blemishes. Envirotex Lite is heat resistant, however, if should not be intentionally subjected to high temperatures such as cigarettes, cooking utensils, etc. Envirotex Lite is water and alcohol proof. Objects, when left on the surface for a period of time, may leave impressions on an Envirotex Lite surface (the coating is made tough, yet flexible so as to not be brittle and prone to shattering from impact). Impressions usually disappear in a few hours at normal 72 - 75room temperatures. The warmer the environment, the more quickly impressions will appear and after items are removed, will disappear. This characteristic, coupled with outstanding moisture and chemical resistance, makes Envirotex Lite an ideal coating for bar tops, coffee tables and dining tables."

But on the other hand, all resin is going to be garbage if it's not mixed properly, for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TansysMaySigh
« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2009 03:27:40 PM »

I ordered my resin! I made sure it was polyester. in fact it may be the same kind you use.
im excited for it to get here.

are the straws able to be reused?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QuickFlops
« Reply #163 on: January 23, 2009 01:07:51 PM »

I used the epoxy Easy Craft resin for these. They are hard!

The glitter ones I made using the same resin didn't harden up as well though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zombiekilla

I don't mean to impose, but I am the Ocean.

« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2009 08:32:08 PM »

amazing!! I love the candy ones! I want to try some with yarn in them, did you guys add it first? my plan was tie it to a tooth pick and then hang it down into the straw, does that make sense to you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

QuickFlops
« Reply #165 on: January 23, 2009 10:29:09 PM »

I got the yarn wet with the resin first, hung it down into the straw, then poured the resin in.
You can't tell, but the blue yarn is twisted with white yarn. The white disappeared in the resin.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zombiekilla

I don't mean to impose, but I am the Ocean.

« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2009 11:51:12 PM »

So here are my first 2 tries:
#1 made with small straws and envirotex lite,

lots o bubbles!

tips

Try #2, larger mc donalds straws and cast n craft, also after the pics I buffed the tips down so they shine now:

sparkly!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2009 07:16:47 AM »

Yea, then I'll remove the warning! My epoxy resin was too old and turned yellow in the bottle, so I hadn't replaced it yet to test it. They all look good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JadedMoonlight
« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2009 02:33:23 PM »

I was just on etsy, and ran across these beautiful creations, haha. At first, what you were selling as hairsticks... I thought they were really pretty chopsticks! And then well, I got to thinking, is there any reason why really cool nifty chopsticks can't be made with these? Obviously they're a little pricier than the free ones you get with takeout or the ones laying around the house, but they'd still be something awesome  to have at college. You could embed something like grains of rice or the fortunes from fortune cookies! Haha. And you could have little sushi-looking tops. xD
THIS ROCKS   Logged
expressmail

Addicted to knitting, but won't share used needles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2009 09:39:30 PM »

Gorgeous! And thanks for the tip about the dremmel--I'm an arthritis sufferer too, and I'd never used one before. I've heard about them but usually I don't do too much in terms of sanding so I'm okay with not having one, until now... Thank you for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't you hate it when people fill up their signature with random junk you could care less about reading but when you see how long it is you figure it has to be important so you keep reading but it's not worth your time and you just wasted a whole minute reading absolutely nothing at all? I do.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Compact Digital Camera Buying Guide
Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera Review
How to Enhance Photos using the Epson Artisan 810 Printer
Digital Photography Tips
How to Use Reflectors
Latest Blog Articles
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags
Whatz Up, My Peeps?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...