A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resin Knitting Needles - and Tutorial! [[Updated info for the larger needles!]]  (Read 101199 times)
Tags for this thread: drinking_straw , gifts_for_knitters , tutorial , resin , knitting_needle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2009 08:18:35 AM »

I went and bought resin specifically to try this project.  I think I should have started with something easier Wink  I had a lot of trouble pouring the resin into the tiny opening of the straw and ended up pouring most of it down the outside - but I have some ideas to make it easier next time.  It's been about 42 hours and the resin still doesn't want to come out of the straw.  I figure I'll just let it sit a while longer and see what happens.  Please tell me this resin business gets easier, ha ha!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subliminalrabbit
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2009 09:33:25 AM »

love love love!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a little city knitter in a big, big world.

http://www.subliminalrabbit.com
ravelry id: subliminalrabbit
Wonderfallz
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2009 11:35:57 AM »

This is the most awesome Resin tutorial.  I have been meaning to play with Resin for a while but have not found a project that was inspirational enough.  I think this might be it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
classy broad

the clumsy crafter. [formerly sprklgrl81]

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2009 11:40:53 AM »

these are so awesome! i don't knit at all, but these are just amazing!
i *love* the glittery ones!
lovely, really!

*xo...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2009 03:47:34 PM »

me too, maybe that's our problem. the odd thing is, it is hard as a rock when I use it in anything else.

im usin envirotex lite

I haven't tried an epoxy pair, so maybe that's it?
But I don't know why.
 Okay you guys, I'm going to cast some envirotex lite in a straw tonight and see if it'll harden! But I have no idea what's going on, so I don't know what else to say or do Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2009 03:50:36 PM »

I went and bought resin specifically to try this project.  I think I should have started with something easier Wink  I had a lot of trouble pouring the resin into the tiny opening of the straw and ended up pouring most of it down the outside - but I have some ideas to make it easier next time.  It's been about 42 hours and the resin still doesn't want to come out of the straw.  I figure I'll just let it sit a while longer and see what happens.  Please tell me this resin business gets easier, ha ha!  Cheesy

Other things may definitely be easier! And see the above comment, if you're using epoxy resin it may not be curing properly/staying flexible.

And if anyone has had results that DID harden using epoxy resin -Envirotex Lite, Easy Cast being the most common, I'd love to know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TansysMaySigh
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2009 06:45:25 PM »

what kind of resin do you suggest i buy?
I was thinkimg easy cast but I dont know anything about the different resins soo
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2009 06:58:07 PM »

what kind of resin do you suggest i buy?
I was thinkimg easy cast but I dont know anything about the different resins soo

Right now I have NO idea if that's the issue, so I can't really say! I'm using polyester resin, Castin' Craft, but I've never tried these with it.
 As a coating I'm pretty sure I'd read epoxy resin is stronger, but maybe that has to do with scratch-ability and not flexibility?
 I usually recommend epoxy resin because it's less toxic, and poly resin STINKS. So I do know it should work if you use poly resin like Castin' Craft, but be prepared for the smell!
 If Amelia will go to bed I think the kiln will be cool enough for me to feel safe using resin in the room, and I'll cast it tonight and see what I get!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2009 08:38:59 PM »

I also used envirotex lite pour on.  The straw still does not make a crinkly noise and i can't push the resin out of the straw (4 days later).  I did cast a couple other pieces.  The thin ones (1/8-1/4 think) will soften just a bit if carried in my pocket.  Enough that I can bend it.  But when cool is quite hard.  The straw seems to bend just a bit also. 
I feel a little better knowing I am not the only one having trouble Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nesse
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2009 11:19:15 PM »

You are seriously a crafty goddess!
I've also always wanted to try resin casting. Unfortunately I don't have a craft room, or a basement, so I must wait until summer to try this!
Thanks for passing on your brilliance Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chef school class - chinese food equipment
Chinese cuisine class - food ingredients
How to Make Fried Bananas
How to Make Fast Chinese Food Easy?
Part 5 - How to Make Tempura Noodles
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...