A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resin Knitting Needles - and Tutorial! [[Updated info for the larger needles!]]  (Read 101169 times)
Tags for this thread: drinking_straw , gifts_for_knitters , tutorial , resin , knitting_needle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zombiekilla

I don't mean to impose, but I am the Ocean.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2009 11:46:27 PM »

ok so it has been a few days and my needles have harden up quite a bit, they went from being totally flexible to barley at all. Also I wasn't able to push them out and had to cut them out. but I feel if I was to sharpen them to a point now they would be useable, but I have never knitted so I have no clue lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ErinTheRed

Future Queen of Comicazi

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2009 08:43:47 AM »

These are absolutely stunning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WMA
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2009 12:14:53 PM »

I'm not sure if it was already mentioned but...

It seems to me a grinder that is used for grinding glass (stained glass pieces and that sort of thing) would work as glass is best ground wet too.
Also, did you put the yarn into the resin first or into the straw and then pour the resin in?

Very cool...thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2009 09:53:48 PM »

I'm not sure if it was already mentioned but...

It seems to me a grinder that is used for grinding glass (stained glass pieces and that sort of thing) would work as glass is best ground wet too.
Also, did you put the yarn into the resin first or into the straw and then pour the resin in?

Very cool...thanks for the tutorial!

My mom just got me a jewelry grinder that's perfect, but I can't use resin and glass on the same stone because the resin heats up and leaves resin on the stone that deposits on the glass.
 So as soon as I get my glass grinder I'm not touching it with resin, but I imagine it would be perfect, if I had 2 grinders!  but the regular grinder with a mask works fine in the basement, made life much easier.
 Then again, maybe being wet will keep it from getting hot enough to stick to the grinder? I don't know, I don't trust the resin that much, I'm sure I'll check and see though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2009 10:00:35 PM »

I also used envirotex lite pour on.  The straw still does not make a crinkly noise and i can't push the resin out of the straw (4 days later).  I did cast a couple other pieces.  The thin ones (1/8-1/4 think) will soften just a bit if carried in my pocket.  Enough that I can bend it.  But when cool is quite hard.  The straw seems to bend just a bit also. 
I feel a little better knowing I am not the only one having trouble Cheesy

epoxy resin does that sometimes, I've made bangles I never realized would bend, and then took them to an outdoor summer craft show, and they sat in the sun and got well, bendy!
 Pretty sure I've read that's a normal characteristic of epoxy, I know for sure I've read that f you use it to coat a table/bar etc that t can get a depression-ring-mark where you set something on it, and it'll go away within a couple hours.

Oh-wow-smashes head-on-desk-moment, the epoxy resin may definitely not harden for this project... I just put it all together as I was typing that, yeah, epoxy resin may definitely not work for this, at least for thinner needles. I still haven't cast my epoxy test needle, I ran out of straws!

I wish I'd known that at the beginning, I'll go make a note at the beginning of the post.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2009 10:08:02 PM »

Here is my result from my first try at this (and my 2nd try at resin, ever).

Yes, that's a giant air bubble.
See?

I had to cut the resin out of the straw (I used an x-acto knife).  It seems pretty firm until the heat of my hands warms it, then it becomes pliable.  I found I can sharpen it with a pencil sharpener though.

I didn't sharpen it all the way though because I don't see it being much use as a knitting needle or as a hair stick if it gets all bendy while holding it.
I'm not sure if it's the type of resin (epoxy) or just the brand (EnviroTex) that is the cause for the warm=bendy problem, but I would like to try this with a polyester resin (and try different techniques to keep the giant air bubbles out.

ETA: Yay for posting at the same time!
Oh-wow-smashes head-on-desk-moment, the epoxy resin may definitely not harden for this project... I just put it all together as I was typing that, yeah, epoxy resin may definitely not work for this, at least for thinner needles. I still haven't cast my epoxy test needle, I ran out of straws!

I wish I'd known that at the beginning, I'll go make a note at the beginning of the post.
Guess I'll be getting that polyester resin after all!  I'll use the epoxy resin to learn what the heck I am doing!  Grin
I wonder if you could cast the tip in epoxy so you can sharpen it easily and the rest in polyester so it doesn't bend when warm...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009 10:12:43 PM by HippieKender » THIS ROCKS   Logged

photochickkds

"I love swaps!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2009 10:57:15 PM »

whats a kind of polyester resin I can get? is it the kind with the catalyst drops? cause if thats the case i dontknow if i want to get into it im too afraid to mess it up with the measuring of that all. i dont have nething to measure ounces etc
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I feel when I'm old I'll look at you and know the world was beautiful"

MAJOR ETSY SALE!
HELP ME CLEAR OUT MY STOCK!!! EVERYTHING MAJORLY DISCOUNTED!!!
www.redsundesigns.etsy.com
TansysMaySigh
« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2009 07:53:05 AM »

now is general purpose resin fine for crafting? I guess poeple use it on boats or something? but its polyester so

like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/Polyester-Resin-GP-Quart-MEKP_W0QQitemZ300075084335QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2009 08:55:14 AM »

now is general purpose resin fine for crafting? I guess poeple use it on boats or something? but its polyester so

like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/Polyester-Resin-GP-Quart-MEKP_W0QQitemZ300075084335QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

It should harden just fine, but lay up resin is usually painted over, so often it's not clear, something about making it easier to see while people are working with it,  say on their boat, and smoothing it out I guess. I googled a few lay up resins and some didn't state the color, and one said it was dyed red. So I would make sure what color it is, assuming you want clear resin to play with, but otherwise it should be about the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2009 08:59:42 AM »

Here is my result from my first try at this (and my 2nd try at resin, ever).
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/HippieKender/resin/resinTest-full.jpg
Yes, that's a giant air bubble.
See?
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/HippieKender/resin/resinTest-bubble.jpg
I had to cut the resin out of the straw (I used an x-acto knife).  It seems pretty firm until the heat of my hands warms it, then it becomes pliable.  I found I can sharpen it with a pencil sharpener though.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/HippieKender/resin/resinTest-sharp.jpg
I didn't sharpen it all the way though because I don't see it being much use as a knitting needle or as a hair stick if it gets all bendy while holding it.
I'm not sure if it's the type of resin (epoxy) or just the brand (EnviroTex) that is the cause for the warm=bendy problem, but I would like to try this with a polyester resin (and try different techniques to keep the giant air bubbles out.

ETA: Yay for posting at the same time!

Guess I'll be getting that polyester resin after all!  I'll use the epoxy resin to learn what the heck I am doing!  Grin
I wonder if you could cast the tip in epoxy so you can sharpen it easily and the rest in polyester so it doesn't bend when warm...

That's a crazy bubble!
 I suspect the epoxy resin is thicker that the poly I'm using, and so it's not going into the straw as quickly. Well, I know it's a bit thicker, but I suspect that may be why it's harder to get it into a straw. Another thing I had no idea would happen!

I'm getting straws today, so I can finally cast an epoxy piece!

The epoxy will work well with jewelry molds though, or if you wanted to cast epoxy toppers separately. Last week without realizing it I poured a little extra poly resin into a mold that had epoxy resin in the bottom of it, and the 2 pieces separated after it was cured!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009 04:56:08 PM by kategirl - Reason: Please remove the [img] tag when quoting pictures. Thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Mix Cheap With Expensive Pieces
How to Wear a Fedora
How to Layer Clothing
How to Wear an All Black Wardrobe
How to Accessorize Your Wardrobe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...