A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I decided to play with water . . . (  (Read 562 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

habitat-lady
« on: January 05, 2009 09:30:27 PM »

I usually stick to the sewing and crafting side of this fabulous website, but I decided to come back to my first love.  Trying to paint. 

I used to dabble in watercolors during my B.C. years (before children) and the oldest is 19, so I'm dusty & rusty.  Buuut, my Christmas present to myself was a new set of paints, some brand new "not beat up or shared with kids" paint brushes, and watercolor pads.  It took two weeks to get all my loot, because I'm cheap   thrifty, and it depended on the coupons I could find to buy my shiny new good stuff.  Then I had to find my old easel and paint box, buried in the shed behind the camping gear.  That totally wasn't worth digging out.  They both need a bath.  And the whole seek & find set off a "lets clean out this %#@& shed" and so on. 

So finally, here are my first five mini's in 20 years. in the order they were painted this past week.  I hope you like them, and I'll probably be back looking for tips/ideas/help!

These next three got washed out with the flash - is there a trick to this with watercolors?  We didn't have digital way back in the day.

And the best so far:

I was halfway into a big bottle of wine for the dandelions.  Did most great artists die of liver failure? I better google that!

Comments/Criticism welcome and thanks for peeking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll fix dinner right after I _______ this!  You fill in the blank: sew, hammer, glue, tack, press, cut, etch, tie, paint, draw, color, iron, solder, grout, saw, cross stitch, bend, stain, wire, build, weave.

http://www.wists.com/habitat-lady
WildChild4487
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009 10:38:41 PM »

Great work! I think alot of artist drank alot but i dunno about dieing of liver failure but the flower ones are my faves
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us. by Ralph Waldo Emerson
g0rehouse
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009 01:30:30 AM »

Those flowers are great, especially the dandelions.

To keep things from getting washed out, instead of using flash, put your painting in a brightly lit area. Taking them outside during the day or in front of a lamp works really well. Just make sure to keep your hands steady - use a tripod or put your elbows on a table or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures."

http://blacksheepcreations.etsy.com
sallyb
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009 02:08:12 AM »

20 years since you've used watercolours?  Man, you've still got the touch!  I'm much too heavy handed for this sort of thing.  I'm loving your dandilions.  I figure after a little practise and some good wine, you'll be doing some exceptional stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

habitat-lady
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009 04:34:21 PM »

Thanks so much for the tip on washout and the feedback.  I was wondering WTF with the lighting?!?  They were all right next to each other when I took the pics.  Next non-rainy day, I'll try again.
Those flowers are great, especially the dandelions.

To keep things from getting washed out, instead of using flash, put your painting in a brightly lit area. Taking them outside during the day or in front of a lamp works really well. Just make sure to keep your hands steady - use a tripod or put your elbows on a table or something.

I think I'm going to start ordering wine by the case!  Want to come over and give it a whirl? LOL
I looked at the dandelions the next morning and thought "Holy Crap, I know the trick now.
20 years since you've used watercolours?  Man, you've still got the touch!  I'm much too heavy handed for this sort of thing.  I'm loving your dandilions.  I figure after a little practise and some good wine, you'll be doing some exceptional stuff!

Truthfully the first one didn't get done cause I muffed it up so bad.  It turned into the color test paper.  Thanks to you folks for the positive reinforcement - I was worried I should go back to finger paints and acrylic craft paint Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll fix dinner right after I _______ this!  You fill in the blank: sew, hammer, glue, tack, press, cut, etch, tie, paint, draw, color, iron, solder, grout, saw, cross stitch, bend, stain, wire, build, weave.

http://www.wists.com/habitat-lady
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
California-Inspired Sci-Fi Literature
Money Is a Kind of Poetry
California Literary Scene
Clive Thompson Talks About His New Book From SXSW
Celebrating the Joys of Letter Writing
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...