A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,219
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: JANUARY PHOTOGRAPHY: What did you shoot today?  (Read 1383 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

La_Exotique
« on: January 05, 2009 08:31:19 PM »

I decided to make this topic, so that maybe every month, to avoid clutter of replies (like in my old topic), to actually share current work.

(ok i will start off)

you can right click and click on "view image", to see larger size
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009 08:34:34 PM by La_Exotique » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cupcakecarnivore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009 12:50:04 AM »

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Whatcha doin', Hank's wife? Some kind of women's work?
Which is it, cookin' or sewin'?"

http://www.myspace.com/punkrocklives

http://wists.com/CraftyKelley
Toby82
Live... Love... and Forgive!!!

Step forth and Spring Ta Life!!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009 02:44:18 PM »

a self pic of me in blk/wht waiting for my love ta get home

and i also have a photo question...If you look at my member gallery i have lots of pics of the jewelry i make... but with the gem stones. i for the life of me cannot figure out how to get the proper colours ta appear in the photos. ANY IDEAS or techniques for me>??
Toby82
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To experience a Rainbow, One must have the rain.... For the sun shines just behind the clouds.
oddmentsandtweaks
Editor In Cheese

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009 09:04:36 AM »

and i also have a photo question...If you look at my member gallery i have lots of pics of the jewelry i make... but with the gem stones. i for the life of me cannot figure out how to get the proper colours ta appear in the photos. ANY IDEAS or techniques for me>??
Toby82

I noticed my biggest problem on things like that is simply the lighting. Using a light box seems to be the best solution, but I for one do not have the necessary materials or money to go buy one (I need LED lights, or the expensive bulbs that shine white instead of yellow).

Alternative? I've found that simply taking pictures beside an open window with the light shining through seems to work the best. I lay down a solid fabric as a background (such as a white t-shirt), and snap away. If they still don't turn out great, I make a few adjustments in photoshop until the colors actually look the right color. If you don't have photoshop, then I'd suggest Gimp or Picasa, as they are free alternatives.

Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://oddmentsandtweaks.artfire.com
------
No swaps right now :_(
StacyCK
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009 07:33:33 AM »

Toby82 - that is a white balance issue.  Make sure your camera is choosing the appropriate lighting for the situation.  Tungsten lighting will always show more yellow in it.  Your best bet is natural lighting from a window, and then choose that lighting on your camera, if you can.  Otherwise, you can change the white balance in Photoshop or other free programs as mentioned.

Here's my January.  I'm starting a photo project this year where a few times a month I shoot self portraits.  It is really helping me grow creatively.  Grin  Here's a few of them.  All shot inside with an external flash pointed at the ceiling on my Nikon D50 and 50mm lens.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlestellarbeam

I will live in kindness.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009 11:11:40 AM »

StacyCK- I love the 1st one. Stunning!

May I ask if these are done in a studio and if not what the setup is? Also do you have an wireless shutter release or do you have another way of getting the focus spot on?

Sorry for all the questions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StacyCK
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009 11:50:50 AM »

StacyCK- I love the 1st one. Stunning!

May I ask if these are done in a studio and if not what the setup is? Also do you have an wireless shutter release or do you have another way of getting the focus spot on?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks and I'm happy to answer any questions!

My set up for the two shots was different.  The first, I just used my blue dining room wall, and in post processing I burned that part in Photoshop to make it darker.  The second shot, I used a portable backdrop stand (around $100 - a Christmas present a few years back) and a few yards of black fleece.

In taking the shots, I have a wireless remote for my camera (around $18).  I have to use the delay on it, so when I press the button it will focus and then in about 5 seconds it will release the shutter.  I just can't move!  I also manually select the focus point (center, as it is the sharpest), and that gives me a "best guess" of where the focus will fall.

My camera is on a tripod, and I have an external flash (SB 600 model).  The flash head rotates around, so I point it at my white ceiling.  When it fires, it reflects an overall lighting in the room.  Also, the room was nearly dark, so the flash freezes movement even though I had a very low shutterspeed (1/40).  You can get very sharp portraits because of this in  dark lighting situations.  It also won't have other light sources that lend itself to a wierd white balance due to differing light sources.

Hope that is a thorough enough answer!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlestellarbeam

I will live in kindness.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009 02:23:17 PM »

That's really helpful Smiley Thank you.

I have a tripod and I've just got myself a new flash (Canon 580ex mk11) so I think I'll get a wireless remote and have a play with things Smiley

Thank you again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Toby82
Live... Love... and Forgive!!!

Step forth and Spring Ta Life!!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009 06:31:33 AM »

Toby82 - that is a white balance issue.  Make sure your camera is choosing the appropriate lighting for the situation.  Tungsten lighting will always show more yellow in it.  Your best bet is natural lighting from a window, and then choose that lighting on your camera, if you can.  Otherwise, you can change the white balance in Photoshop or other free programs as mentioned.

Thank you so much for all great tips you share with us ALL Huggz... My question is that i am trying ta get the true colours out of my gem stone necklaces I make... on a limited income :-) is there an efficient way ta create better white light effectively ....sometimes the sun is too bright or to many clouds..<Though tin foil does works...just for some things>
In the sun

under light
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009 04:58:40 PM by kategirl - Reason: Fixed broken quote » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To experience a Rainbow, One must have the rain.... For the sun shines just behind the clouds.
StacyCK
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009 03:09:51 PM »

Toby, which one is closest to the reality?  They look so vastly different in the different lighting situations (beautiful piece BTW!).  One thing you could try is to get a daylight lightbulb for a lamp and see if that will get you more accurate lighting.  What I would do, is get one of those silver clip floodlamps at the Home Depot, Lowes, etc (they are cheap!) and then get the big daylight bulb that goes into it.  The can clip on just about anything, so position it in front or above your piece to get even lighting.  You will have to adjust how close it is to it based on trial and error.

One other thing... As is the case with most point and shoot cameras, there is delay in the shutter release from when you press it.  This means any movement on your part will cause your shot to be a little blurry.  If you can, balance it on the edge of a chair or table and push the button.  This will limit any movement on your part and get sharper pictures.  If you can set the timer, press the button and leave it.  That way when it shoots you won't be touching it at all and allow movement to cause it to be blurry.

HTH!  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn How To Cook Duck Fat Fried Rice!
How to Make Thai Butternut Soup
How to Make Thai Sweet Rice with Mango
Wonton Shrimp That Is As Easy To Make As It Is Delicious
Singapore Kitchen: How to Make Fish Head Curry
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...