A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flamin' Vinyl Reverse Applique (Vogue 8313)  (Read 9518 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2009 , reverse_applique , dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 05, 2009 08:00:45 PM »

Hey crafster peeps. Long time no post.

I'm here to tell you about my New Year's Eve dress. This project represented a whole passel of challenges and techniques I'd never used before. But why make something if I can't make it just how I want?

The pattern started life as Vogue 8313, View A, size 20. I'm about a 16 in RTW and I thought the 20 may actually be too small. Not so. I made a test dress first which fit so nicely, I omitted the zipper and kept it as a wearable dress. Once the dress was assembled in stretch vinyl, I actually took about two inches out of the waist!

This was my first project with stretch vinyl and my first reverse applique. I'm so glad I bought that stippling foot, even if I'd forgotten I had it (after I just haaaaad to buy it a few months ago).

Vinyl is tricky because you can't pin it together -- every hole shows. And oh you're in trouble if you stitch something together wrong and have to tear it apart -- which is pretty much guaranteed to happen at least once in every project I make. Not this time!

After being unable to find any in metro Detroit, I bought the vinyl online at Spandex House. It was very inexpensive and they shipped very quickly. Word to the wise: the vinyl is soft and will probably fall apart pretty soon, and worse, it smelled very strongly of petroleum when it arrived. A wash and airing out diminished the smell, but I'm convinced it's always going to be odiferous. I made it for a nightclub party, though, so I wasn't too concerned.

I taped the back/red layer under the top/black layer and taped the traced flames border (which I'd done on plain craft tissue) on top of that. Then tried to stay more or less within the lines while tracing with the freehand/stippling foot. That was kinda fun! After careful cutting to smooth out any necessary edges, the hard part was done.

The dress itself is very simple and went together quickly and easily. Because I was using a very sheer fabric for the upper, I did not use the facings as the pattern suggested, instead trimming the seam allowance off and finishing the neck edges with a matching bias tape. Turns out I think I prefer how that looked over, say, a narrow hem.

So, here are some pics!

After stitching, removing the flames paper pattern:

The upper layer cut out, with US quarter for scale:

Pre-assembly:

The finished dress:

ETA: Happy to answer if anyone has questions. There's a much more blah-blah version of this project on my blog, the URL for which is below.

ETA: Hey! Best of 2009! Thanks, Craftsters!

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010 08:08:34 AM by SFLAG » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shana82
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009 08:24:32 PM »

I love the flames!  That turned out so awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lorchick
Obsessive Compulsive

; p

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009 08:34:22 PM »

frickin hot! no pun intended!
owww!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have sixtybillion more ideas than actual completed projects. Blog stalker, fast talker, slow walker!
I am lorchick of ON{thelaundry}LINE blog.
Smell the flowers, kill the bugs, laugh at your mistakes, and hide the laundry! Cheesy
death_by_vodka
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009 09:31:36 PM »

I think that is pretty much amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananabanana
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009 09:33:31 PM »

That's awesome! Looks great.
Does the red fabric cover your boobs or only the top half of them? Any chance of an action shot?

Actually, just checked on your blog and I can tell from the test dress on the dummy that it has a seam across the chest.
So is it a pattern you'd recommend for the busty amongst us? Just curious, as I keep a list of dress patterns I'd like to try some day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009 11:30:10 PM »

Wow, this looks awesome!  Love the flames. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009 05:25:51 AM »

That's awesome! Looks great.
Does the red fabric cover your boobs or only the top half of them? Any chance of an action shot?

Actually, just checked on your blog and I can tell from the test dress on the dummy that it has a seam across the chest.
So is it a pattern you'd recommend for the busty amongst us? Just curious, as I keep a list of dress patterns I'd like to try some day.

Thanks! The upper portion is just above my breasts. That is to say, there is a little cleave visible through the sheer red fabric (and the lacy upper portion of my bra was visible through the sheer as well). In a solid fabric, there would be very little cleavage. I think it's SUPPOSED to be all the way above them, but I am somewhere in the vicinity of a 44DDD (or whatever comes after that...I need a new fitting) so the fact that they are covered at all makes me happy.

I do recommend this pattern for a busty lady. My test dress is all in wovens, size 20, and when I tried it on with the zipper opening basted closed, I could pull it on with a little bit of reshifting effort. I HATE back zippers, so I'm willing to put a little bit of extra work into getting into a dress without one, so the woven version of this dress also has no zipper. I'll definitely make the pattern again, in fact I'm already considering what I can do with it for the Dirty Show next month. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009 08:02:19 AM »

This just rocks wicked hard!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
MinorPunk56
Jailbait Rock n' Roll

Crafting is in my blood! Just not in my geneology.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009 11:46:43 AM »

I would love to see an action shot!  This is so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(To The Tune of "The Llama Song")Here's a needle, there's a needle, and some yarn between the needles, cast on, knit, purl, always knitting, knitty, knitty, purl.

Proud new owner of a Baby Lock 400!  Any advice for the newbie? PM
silvander
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009 11:51:29 AM »

This is gorgeous!  I love the nice stitching too, I have trouble with such detailed work and am super jealous of your skills.  Being a vinyl freak myself, this really appeals to my sense of aesthetics.  Wonderful job. Just beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted" - MLK jr.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Charcoal Portraits
How to Draw Still Life
How to Write Copperplate Calligraphy
How to Create Calligraphy Art
How to Choose Calligraphy Styles
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...