A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
383 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric for a dress like this?  (Read 710 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fashion09
« on: January 05, 2009 02:49:16 PM »

I want to make my prom dress again this year but instead of doing the natural colors I want my dress to be kinda like these
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-76360157405211_2035_5055625
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-76360157405211_2036_27656035
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-76360157405211_2035_5692003
the last one is my favorite

I have no clue on where to get fabirc like this and paying about $400 dollars for those isnt an option
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009 02:25:28 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Please do not hotlink images - thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

xsnana
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009 04:48:45 PM »

There are specialty shops with fabrics like this, usually Bridal fabrics or high end shops.  These will be expensive fabrics but you can check at places like JoAnn's, etc. for fabrics close to this but usually closer to spring.  I love the dress and you can get fabric that will knife pleat like the 3rd picture but I think I'd take it to a drycleaner to do it professionaly.  For a drapey look, try a jersey knit.  For the knife pleats, try a chiffon-type fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grendelsmom
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009 05:24:43 AM »

You should consider painting the fabric yourself!  There are places like Dharma Trading that sell silk, rayons, and chiffons at relatively reasonable prices.  You could also get the paints/dyes from them and create just the look you want. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009 05:44:31 AM »

The fabric looks like silk, and my guess is that it is hand painted/dyed. 

You might be able to find an affordable synthetic that's similar (check fabric stores), or you can purchase silk and try dying it yourself.

Good luck those are beautiful dresses. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
marieC
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009 07:52:48 AM »

The fabric for those dresses was cut on the bias.  That allows the fabric to fall in that super-drapey body-skimming kind of manner.  Anything with a nice feel and drape and that shine (if you want it) should work well if you cut it out on the bias.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009 08:17:34 AM »

I would look for polyester charmeuse satin - maybe with some spandex if you want it to stretch.  If you don't want the shininess, try chiffon or georgette.  A nice poly or rayon jersey would be a good alternative that would be easy to fit and drapey, but cool prints can be harder to find.   I wouldn't drop the money for silk for a prom dress which will be in all likelihood worn once.

Here are some cool poly charmeuse prints: Fabric.com poly charmeuse, nothing painted looking like the ones you showed, but some neat abstract prints.
Fashion fabrics club poly charmeuse - if you order from them, leave plenty of time for shipping because they are a bit slow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009 05:58:04 PM »

If you trust it, I've found some lovely prints on Ebay, searching for silk charmeuse.  Nine times out of ten, it's not real silk, it's polyester, but as Kaitlin said, that's all you really need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
knittychick
My cuddliest craft ever was completed April 22, 2010. Little man Micah Nolan! He's a happy little monkey!

I'm so crafty I make people!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009 03:23:26 PM »

If you live in or near the Los Angeles area they just got a MOOD Fabrics. I know they tend to have all sorts of different fabrics. They have a website, www.moodfabrics.com and you can order online. You could always look there. Again if you are in or near the L.A. area try F.I.D.M. as well (Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandizing) because they have a store where you can buy fabric at a VERY discounted price. I've gottend some really  nice stuff there before. Anyways, just thought i'd let you know....

I just checked MOOD Fabric. com and they have some GREAT printed stuff, very similar to the fabric prints in the pictures.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009 03:27:32 PM by knittychick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist: http://www.wists.com/knittychick

New Baby & Pregnant Moma Swap:

Doctor Who Round 3: crafting
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009 05:55:59 PM »

Part of what makes faviana dresses so expensive is the beading. I can't find if they are silk or polyester, but polyester is easier to knife pleat with heat.

http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/store/catalog/Pleated-Skirt-Panels-orderby0-p-1-c-428.html

These are already pleated panels, but they don't have prints. Fashion fabrics club has good prices on charmeuse. They even have some prints. I've heard a tip to work with charmeuse and am still waiting to try it: put knit interfacing on your seams so that they don't move around and stretch when you are sewing them. Also, charmeuse looks best when put on the bias so make sure you buy enough fabric to allow for that.

http://www.thaisilks.com/ has some prints and some already painted fabric, but they are  rather expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fashion09
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009 08:46:48 AM »

thanks so much, I actually wouldnt mind painting my own if I could get the dyes and stuff but the Thai Silks is a great website I found one im in love with Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
White Chocolate Krispies Recipe
Gourmet Golden Fruitcake Recipe
How to Make Vanilla Donut Holes
How to Make Dark Chocolate Krispies With Hazelnuts
How to Make Dark Chocolate Brownies with Sea Salt
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...