A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,385
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Store Blog vs. Personal Blog  (Read 615 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 05, 2009 11:50:37 AM »

How many of you have blogs that exist solely to discuss store updates and other related posts?  Is there a benefit to doing this versus posting shop updates on your personal(ish) blog?  Should I do both? 

I have a blog on which I write about crafts, cooking, life in general - but is this something that I should keep separate and apart from my shop (it is called a different name than my shop)?  Should I start a blog just for shop discussion? 

Any thoughts on this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009 05:49:10 AM »

There are plenty of people who claim to love reading about how you messed up last night's dinner or your Precious got an A on his or her test, you're getting a divorce or a new dog, or made up a poem about tree reflections on the nearest local lake. I personally skip over blogs that aren't focused, but I'm probably in the minority. My blog is mostly business. My readership climbs all the same, though I probably invite more copiers of ideas than comments. There's plenty of personality inserted into my blog content, even so.

It really comes down to how professional you want your ultimate ideal blog to be. What are your goals as far as your blog goes, and how do you want people to see you. If you want to get into paid advertising and such it's better to have a focused blog rather than one with a bunch of random stuff in it, for example. You might want to get other crafty folk to advertise with you and a mish mash of blog stuff might not fit in with their own advertising goals. Do you want your customers seeing your personal life on a daily basis? Just some of the questions you have to consider.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlueJeanBaby

Hello, lover!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009 12:05:27 PM »

I have both. I don't get too personal on my personal blog but I like my shop blog to be for updates, new items, giveaways, etc.

That's not really any help, huh?  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009 02:54:43 PM »

Thanks, that helps!  I appreciate the responses Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
antigone
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009 01:49:02 AM »

I haven't started my shop yet but would like to keep my blog the way it is, in between. It's not too personal, I think, although it is about me and the things I do - it IS focused on creativity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainbowcreek
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009 06:32:41 PM »

Hi! I just joined craftster today and this is my first post!

I have been trying to make some decisions about my blog too, as it started out that I wanted a craft blog to focus on my business and then turned into more of a family blog. I plan to separate the two soon (this week was my goal) and have really enjoyed visiting some of the blogs I have found on here to give me ideas about what I would like in my craft blog.

So I guess I mean that I think it is best to keep your business blog focused.

I have a long way to go to get to where I want to be this year. It looks like there are so many talented people here on this site, hoping I can learn alot here.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009 01:07:10 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am up the rainbow creek and loving it!

my blog: http://www.uptherainbowcreek.blogspot.com

my etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5613034

flickr album here: http://flickr.com/photos/28100331@N06/

Swap offers welcomed!
Dolly Mixx
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009 02:08:22 AM »

I just use the one blog. I find that people quite enjoy following the life of a crafty person, as opposed to just reading shop updates. I post shop updates on my front page of my storefront anyway, my blog is just an additional way for people to see what I can do and possibly get to know me. I have had comments like "I think the blog is great - I know some people don't think they should be on a professional biz site BUT...given your target audience, how could you not?"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Josh - Photo.net
Photography Guru - Knitting Knucklehead

My little man and me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009 03:36:52 PM »

Business is business. Even "crafty" business.

If you do it right, your "craft" blog will have enough personality to keep people interested. If you combine your blogs and do it wrong, you come off as low-rent and unprofessional. If you are just trying to sell on etsy or whatnot, that's fine. But if you are trying to get into stores and catalogs, you need to look like you aren't just some goof with a sewing machine and a computer.

There is no harm in making good business choices, your crafts will still keep your image grounded. There is a lot of harm in making bad business decisions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissRachel
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009 10:27:58 AM »

I am in the process of setting up a blog and have spent quite a bit of time deciding which direction to take it in. Should it be set up to take orders? Or should I use it like a journal, recording my crafty doings? For my own ease and enjoyment, I'm going to use it as a way to showcase my creations but also include links to items I sell on websites. Basically explain 'here is what I made. If you like it, follow the link.' Also, I'm not that comfortable with using the computer, so this will help me learn in the process. Just my two cents!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a 3D Text Effect in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Brushed Metal Texture in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Chrome Metal Text Effect in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Custom Color Palette From an Image in Fireworks CS3
How to Create a Glossy Text Effect in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...