A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stashbuster Afghan *first post*  (Read 1255 times)
Tags for this thread: stashbuster  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

castlesinthesky
« on: January 04, 2009 08:20:16 PM »

I like to knit.  And I don't like to spend a lot of money on yarn.  So I pick up random yarns at thrift stores, and a while ago I started buying big, ugly sweaters so that I could salvage the lovely fibers in them.  It brings me a great sense of satisfaction to rip out the stitches in a horribly designed, huge sweater and give the yarn a higher purpose than haunting a rack at the local Salvation Army for decades to come.

So I had piles and piles of salvaged yarn sitting around, and lots of single skeins of varying colors, fibers and weights.  I live in a fairly small space with two little girls and a packrat husband, so it was well past time to clear out my stash.  I researched patterns online, and wanted to try something random, but not too random, similar to the idea behind the magpie scarf posted on craftster by aliastriona_angerboda.  I decided to use two strands of yarn held together on a long size 15 circular needle, with a "pattern" that allowed for enough randomness in colors while maintaining uniformity throughout the piece.  I used certain yarns at regular intervals, while grabbing others blindly out of a bag, with the rule that I couldn't use any of the random yarns more than three times in a row.  I wanted the afghan to be reversible so I did a very large basket weave stitch (27 stitches x 24 rows for each block) with a garter stitch border around the whole thing.  Since I hate weaving in ends, I just left the ends of each row about 6 inches long and then tied them into a lovely irregular fringe that didn't need to be trimmed.

I started this project just after my second daughter was born.  She turns two in a little over a week, and I just finished it a couple of days ago, to be sent home as a Christmas gift with my mother-in-law.  I call it the Stashbuster because it used up a helluva lot of yarn.  And it's super warm too!

So, without further ado, here are the pics...
(my walls are yellow and green, and I didn't use a flash, so the colors are a little bit warmer than in real life)

I love the way the "random" yarn choices still create distinct paths of color.

Detail of the basket weave squares.

Close-up of one of the squares.

Did I mention it's long?

Happy (and warm) mother-in-law, catalog shopping for seeds under her new afghan!

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charm-city-coop
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009 08:34:18 PM »

Oh wow, that's beautiful! The colors look great together; you did a wonderful job with your 'random' selections!  And it must be so satisfying to have finished it after two years.  Congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009 09:44:19 PM »

Absolutely lovely! The lines of color are amazing. Love it!

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
ladyofthelake

Charley the Scrap Eater

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009 07:20:00 AM »

I'm not sure why, but it reminds me of Edvard Munch's "The Scream" ... minus the guy. I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If at first you don't succeed, go buy more fabric.
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009 08:01:17 AM »

I like it! And I'm impressed both by how long this took  and by how many stitches you must have had on that needle.

Ladyofthelake, I wouldn't have thought of that until you said it, but I can kind of see it. Maybe it's the stripes of color in the bridge in "The Scream" plus the orange in the sky mixing together in your head?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009 12:28:44 PM »

Oh, I love it!
I love how the colors hang together--absolutely wonderful..........   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
hipmama1970
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009 07:36:49 PM »

Ooh, I really like this! Well done Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen, homeschooling mom of 4
castlesinthesky
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009 08:30:00 PM »

I'm not sure why, but it reminds me of Edvard Munch's "The Scream" ... minus the guy. I love it!
Edvard Munch is one of my all-time favorite artists.  Thanks for the kind words, everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Chicken with Ginger and Spring Onion
How to Cook Kung Pao
How to Cook Homemade Sashimi Using Crab and Sea Bream
How to Make a Tasty Sashimi - Salmon, Tuna and Yellowtail
How to Make Your Own Dashi
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...