A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Displaying collectables  (Read 559 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2009 06:08:24 PM »

I wanna cry caue my collection looks like crap the way it is displayed now. Aparment therphy didnt have any useful advice either. Im on a tight budger. I have tons of black wooden boxes  of all sizes and  tons of 8 by 10 frames.  As for what I collect I have, 5 gi joes, two nutcrackers,  two beenie butts, 11 trucks/cars, four little guys, 4 ordements, a clock, a glass gun, a pair of hand cuffs, 45 patches and a beenie babie fire man. The theme to this collection is Police and fire.  Any advice? Right now its housed on a long ole shelf (not enough space) and hanging in ugly big poster frames on the wall, the patches are falling out of the frames and the frames are breaking. HELP!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009 06:27:56 PM by flying_babyb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
x46
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009 08:27:57 PM »

What are your boxes made of? Can they be screwed/glued/taped together and/or painted/covered with paper/fabric?  Well, here's an idea anyway even though I don't know if you can do it with what you've got. 

How about painting the outside of the boxes police blue or firefighter red, and the insides a colour that will make the collectable pop, like white or silver?  If not paint, then paper or cloth to cover.  Anything special can have a mirror cut to fit the back of the box.  Assign one figure to each small box so that it's showcased. Larger boxes can be divided or have pedestals inside to make characters different levels.  I've found cheap glass candlesticks, chunky ones, from the dollar store make great small pedestals when they're turned upside down.  I use the bluetack that you get for $ in the hobby store or for cheap in the discount store (same stuff) underneath things I don't want to move. Put everything down on the floor, and arrange the way you'd like to see them on the wall.  Get your badges under glass in those frames.  If the frames fit and can be hinged to the boxes, better still. (I have an old wood Ikea medicine cabinet destined to display my 4" bisque dolls once the mirrored front has glass in it.)  If the boxes are light, you can put squares of sticky velcro on the frames and wall and just put them up that way. I've found the 2sided carpet tape doesn't like the humidity here in the summer, but velcro works.  If heavy, you can attach hangers to the back (top and bottom to keep them even) and put small nails in the wall.  The clock and framed badges can fit right into the arrangement of boxes, either stuck to the front of a box or just flat on the wall.  Make sure there isn't any light directly on the collection as the badges and doll clothes will fade.

One of the men I used to work with had a collection of police badges from all over the world which he'd put in huge frame on one wall of his office. Not my thing, but impressive.  My bil had a collection of pewter dragons which he used to display on a crunched up piece of navy velvet in a mirror backed cabinet. He put small boxes underneath here and there to vary the levels and added a dim light overhead.  It looked really good.  I collect very old dolls, and miniatures.  Display is always hard as you want to see everything, but keep it clean and safe, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009 08:53:06 PM »

I know the patches are such a issue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
TracyInNH

Nectar of the gods...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009 07:33:08 AM »

My husband has patches from when he was in the Navy.  Your frames are a good idea, but put black fabric behind the patches and paint the brown frame black, make the color in the patches pop! I used double stick tape and yes, a staple or two to hold the patches on the black fabric.  Squishing it in the glass helped.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009 07:35:55 AM by TracyInNH » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009 08:02:53 AM »

You could pin or sew the patches on a long lenght of fabric. Make a channel through the top end, run a dowel through it to keep it flat, and hang it on two nails at the ends of the dowel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...